Giving eye drops

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Hi folks,
Our bulldog, Princess, have been given two boxes of eye drops, because she has a scratch on her eye.

Please can someone give me some advice on how to properly give her eye drops. Of all the things, she hates getting eye drops. She tries to avoid it like the plague.
She is very difficult when it comes to this. I've watched videos on youtube, but the dogs are so calm. So, youtube is no help.

Thank you in advance

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I'm going to be honest... in my house it takes two people to give my dogs eye drops. I actually prefer the salve, it seems to be easier to get into the eye. Usually the hubby picks them up from under their front legs, and I have to keep their eye open AND put the drops in. It's NOT pretty... Lol

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Gabe gets drops for dry eye. Every morning after we wake up, he stops in the bathroom so I can clean his eye boogers out and put the drops in. I sit on the floor with my knee up, and put his chin on my knee. I clean his eye out and hold it open with one hand and put the drops in with the other.

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
I'm the only one who takes care of the dogs, so it's a solo effort for me. lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I’ve had to give Jax eyedrops a couple times but I never had issues. I had him sit, then held his head and did the drops and gave treats afterwards. I never realized it could be an issue! So I guess I am of no help but maybe try treats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
No handy hints, sorry. It was a battle with Monty and I was always amazed at how tightly he could close his eyes! I think I wasted more than what actually got in his eyes but I just persevered and did the best I could!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude got a cat scratch on her eye. Though Tracey is right-ointment is much easier. I would do it morning-before we got up-"forced" her eye open,gave her a yummy treat(even a piece of chicken liver) and then at night-after they went to bed-same deal. adding that "us" is Maude and I-I am alone, also! It worked out well for us. @yankydoodle

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well I'm going to be honest... in my house it takes two people to give my dogs eye drops. I actually prefer the salve, it seems to be easier to get into the eye. Usually the hubby picks them up from under their front legs, and I have to keep their eye open AND put the drops in. It's NOT pretty... Lol

Same for us.... one holds with treats available and the other administers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
I'm using food. So, we will see how that goes.

Mmaker

Feb 21, 2016
New Mexico
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
I used to put elsies harness on and hook her leash to a doorknob. I hold her chin with one hand and administer the eye drops with the other. It was a battle at first but now I can give her eye drops without a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I think it helps to establish a routine for when is a good time for the drops, to have high-value treats at hand, and do not to combine it with any play or other high-energy activity since the dog needs to be calm, relaxed and in a mood for being pampered. Castor has a dry eye and we give him eye drops right after morning walk and after the last walk in the evening. I always do it when he already knows he needs to stand still as I dry his feet every time we come in, so my first piece of advice is to always give the drops in a situation when Princess knows you will be fixing her anyway.

Castor happens to be easy to deal with in those situations, but if he once in a while walks away, I have a trick that usually works. I don't try to go for the ears or eyes directly, but just say "paw" and shake a can of treats, and since he is so used to having his paws checked out, that works for us. Once the paw has been admired and inspected, and a treat or two have been chewed on, I move on to the eyes. To give eye drops, I stand above him, with my ankles and feet on either side of his front legs, bending down over his head (hm, that sounds odd but I hope you see what I mean). One hand under his chin and the other one to administer the drops. If Castor would refuse, I wouldn't force him but try again after a little while.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
"Once the paw has been admired and inspected," I just love that sentence!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.