My Bulldog Walter may be sick please guide me

Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hello,

I am a new member here on englishbulldognews.com. My 7 mo old English Bulldog named walter seem to have congested nose, and then sometimes he gags but no vomit coming out. But when he gets super excited that he has to breath fast, he vomits small amount of the dog food he ate previously. Meanwhile he still, eats a lot, he drinks a lot of water, he is still active, he still bullies us, sometimes he still attempts to hump us. He has been acting normal except for the sniffing and mini throw ups. Please let me know what I should or if you have experienced this before with your english bulldog. I love him so much and tomorrow I am going to try to go to the Vet. But like I said hes been acting normal except for the congested noises he is making.
:*(:*(
98340EBF-61BD-4B22-8BC4-75C3E4F02C91.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello,

I am a new member here on englishbulldognews.com. My 7 mo old English Bulldog named walter seem to have congested nose, and then sometimes he gags but no vomit coming out. But when he gets super excited that he has to breath fast, he vomits small amount of the dog food he ate previously. Meanwhile he still, eats a lot, he drinks a lot of water, he is still active, he still bullies us, sometimes he still attempts to hump us. He has been acting normal except for the sniffing and mini throw ups. Please let me know what I should or if you have experienced this before with your english bulldog. I love him so much and tomorrow I am going to try to go to the Vet. But like I said hes been acting normal except for the congested noises he is making.
:*(:*(
View attachment 118490

Hello there and Welcome. From what youā€™re saying I would have your vet check his soft palate. Pneumonia usually the pup would be coughing and show green/yellow slime when coughing. But when you say congested noises, I think of a soft palate. Definitely vet check. Now bare in mind, not all vets knows bullies n experts on soft palates. Hopefully you have a vet that knows flat nose dogs. Try to keep him calm till you see a vet. Walter is a very beautiful pup. Reminds me of my Jake. Whatever you do, please keep us posted.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN. as [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] stated then again possible allergies. See the vet.

Walter is a pretty bully. We have another Walter here at EBN that belongs to [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and is an author of a NY Times Best Seller "How To Make My Mommy Crazy."

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi Walter, says Castor! What a cutie!

Great that you are taking him to a vet. As stated above, ask the vet to evaluate his soft palate. Some bulldogs have problems and may need surgery. If it comes to that: make sure a good 24/7 vet hospital perform the surgery. Castor went through that when he was 1.5 yrs old and it made an enormous difference. Many bulldog owners here have experience of soft palate issues and can share advice!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN... and YES I do have a Walter as well.

Does your Walter gobble up his food? That could contribute to the mini gagging and throwing up, but more likely an elongated palete may be the issue. You can add some warm water to his kibble, or even put a tennis ball in his bowl to get him to slow down as he eats. Your vet will have to determine the elongated palete ... both of my dogs had the surgery done, and it made a huge difference. The nasal congestion, is it clear in color? That means allergies... it could be from the food that he is eating or environmental. What type of dog food are you feeding him?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome: [MENTION=19484]walterenglishbulldog[/MENTION] As stated by others, it does sound like an elongated palate. Make sure your VETerinarian knows about EBD's, and do not let anyone do surgery on Walter unless they are very familiar with English Bulldogs!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
you got some good advice. I hope he feels better soon and you too! When our babies are sick it is harder on us I think! :yes:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Have to agree with those that have already spoken...sounds like classic palate problems. If so, the issue will only get worse with age. In the mean time, please DO NOT let Walter get highly stressed or overheated. With a partially obstructed airway, things can go south in short order.
Additionally, we rarely see allergies become problematic until a couple years are in the book. I think he's too young. That does not mean don't bring it up with your Vet. I think allergies should be included in the discussion...what's the harm?
Please report back what your Vet says.

OP
walterenglishbulldog
Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Okay so I feel like these responses are so serious. My english bulldog does not have green or yellow discharge. He doesnt have a fever and the vet gave him antibiotics. He eats normally and acts normally. So why does he need Surgery now?? So this never happens to your bulldog ever where they cough and act like they have cold and congested. Everyone just thinks he needs surgery?? Wow this website makes me scared.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Okay so I feel like these responses are so serious. My english bulldog does not have green or yellow discharge. He doesnt have a fever and the vet gave him antibiotics. He eats normally and acts normally. So why does he need Surgery now?? So this never happens to your bulldog ever where they cough and act like they have cold and congested. Everyone just thinks he needs surgery?? Wow this website makes me scared.

Great to hear you took him to the vet. Could I ask why the vet prescribed antibiotics - from what you write it does not seem like he had a bacterial infection?

I don't think anyone said your dog was in need of surgery now. What made me and probably others here react was that you wrote "sometimes he gags but no vomit coming out. But when he gets super excited that he has to breath fast, he vomits small amount of the dog food he ate previously". That is the way Castor's soft palate issues started when he was about one. His breathing became laboured and he would vomit food or just white foam when playing or exercising, especially during summer. I am sure no one wanted to scare you (this is a very supportive community) but we have experienced soft-palate issues in bulldogs and know what to look out for. I do not think anyone suggested your Walter needs surgery now; what we suggested was just that you bring this up with a vet (and that if he needs surgery at some point, you take him to a experienced vet at a hospital with good facilities).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

First of all, I don't think anyone rushed to say have surgery RIGHT NOW... I think that if you did some research regarding elongated palette you would understand that this issue doesn't normally resolve itself, and it can cause issues w/eating and during/after surgery. My suggestion was to discuss this w/your vet... I'm speaking from experience of losing an EBD after a routine surgery because of an elongated palette that was apparently NO ISSUE. My biggest mistake was having a vet that had little to no experience w/the EBD breed... and it cost me severely. Bulldogs are a brachycephalic breed, which makes ANY type of breathing issue (to include coughing, colds or gagging) serious. They have compromised breathing, so any type of respiratory distress CAN become very serious quickly.

Our goal here at EBN is to keep our members informed of the breed, and give our experiences with our own bulldogs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Curious why the vet prescribed antibiotics if discharge is clear?

And reading the comments, it seems like everyone was just giving advice on what the issue could be based on their own experiences. No one mentioned that you needed to go have surgery right now, but just a possible reason to discuss with your vet. And with this breed, regardless of the issue, you will want an experienced bulldog vet. It is imperative to have a bulldog knowledgeable vet.

No one is trying to scare you, just offering advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
I donā€™t feel experienced enough to offer any advice but I will share some of Cinders history... She used to stay very congested and two separate times ended up with a secondary infection due to the congestion. I figured out that she didnā€™t know how to clear the phlegm build up so it would essentially keep building up until it made her sick.. I read a tip here that a little lemon juice would help that so I began giving her half a teaspoon when she would sound very congested.. it worked...I canā€™t say it was any certain property of the lemon juice, but maybe the taste just made her clear her throat??? Either way, we donā€™t have this problem anymore..I donā€™t hardly have to use the lemon juice anymore either... Iā€™m certainly not dismissing any of the more serious issues that certainly do occur often. Itā€™s always good to be aware and prepared..

OP
walterenglishbulldog
Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
3024801A-E6BD-47C7-ADFF-8B1527C1DC34.jpeg

Thats walters nose today. No more clear discharge. Ive done some mini research about soft palate. He doesnt struggle breathing all the time and he is not forced to breathe through his mouth because he couldnt breathe through his nose. Thats like a totally different thing. He just sounds congested and stuff when he gets excited, also no green or yellow discharge. His nose is attached. Im now looking into getting a different ver though who specializes on bulldogs. Dont know why he was prescribed with antibiotics but he has improved ever since we followed the vets prescriptions.

- - - Updated - - -

6878D95D-5CDD-4095-AB8C-793B4243E787.jpeg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.