My Bulldog Walter may be sick please guide me

OP
walterenglishbulldog
Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
I donā€™t feel experienced enough to offer any advice but I will share some of Cinders history... She used to stay very congested and two separate times ended up with a secondary infection due to the congestion. I figured out that she didnā€™t know how to clear the phlegm build up so it would essentially keep building up until it made her sick.. I read a tip here that a little lemon juice would help that so I began giving her half a teaspoon when she would sound very congested.. it worked...I canā€™t say it was any certain property of the lemon juice, but maybe the taste just made her clear her throat??? Either way, we donā€™t have this problem anymore..I donā€™t hardly have to use the lemon juice anymore either... Iā€™m certainly not dismissing any of the more serious issues that certainly do occur often. Itā€™s always good to be aware and prepared..

Thank you so much!! I will try it!! Thank u thank u thank u

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
He's a pretty bulldog. I hope he is feeling better. Please don't feel afraid here, there are many experienced bulldog owners who have gone through just about any issue that a bulldog can and will have in their life times. Most folks here only make recommendations as to what you could have done or should get done for those reasons. I am fairly new here and have learned so much about bulldogs and always read through the blogs if my Gabe is having issues to find help for him. We hope you and Walter stick around and feel more comfortable with us real soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 118497

Thats walters nose today. No more clear discharge. Ive done some mini research about soft palate. He doesnt struggle breathing all the time and he is not forced to breathe through his mouth because he couldnt breathe through his nose. Thats like a totally different thing. He just sounds congested and stuff when he gets excited, also no green or yellow discharge. His nose is attached. Im now looking into getting a different ver though who specializes on bulldogs. Dont know why he was prescribed with antibiotics but he has improved ever since we followed the vets prescriptions.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 118498

What a great looking boy! Happy he is doing better.

The gang gave great advice to help get you informed should this continue. When a bulldog struggles with palate it can sound like a cold because of mucus build up in the throat.... finding a bulldog savvy vet will be best. Good luck and keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Okay so I feel like these responses are so serious. My english bulldog does not have green or yellow discharge. He doesnt have a fever and the vet gave him antibiotics. He eats normally and acts normally. So why does he need Surgery now?? So this never happens to your bulldog ever where they cough and act like they have cold and congested. Everyone just thinks he needs surgery?? Wow this website makes me scared.

Welcome to the forum and I understand your response. I have had two bulldogs. One for 9 years and my 2nd one is 4.
the responses are serious because we LOVE these dogs and we take it very seriously.

the first time I took my first bully to the vet, I left hysterical crying and called my husband. He scared me half to death.

Bulldogs have many common issues that with proper care can be resolved and in your first post you demonstrated many of the common symptoms.

People who care were simply suggesting by experience. they also will fight NOT to have surgery like a few weeks ago when my vet wanted to surgically remove lesions caused from hot spots.

Hang in there with us. WE CARE, WE LOVE THE BREED. I would be lost without these people.

Much love to you and your bully!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Welcome to EBN! Walter sure is one handsome boy! I am just now reading through this thread and have read all the comments. Please don't be put off or afraid of this community. I promise you it is amazing. There is so much knowledge and support shared here. Like everyone said they were just sharing what they have been through or have learned. It doesn't always mean what you are experiencing is the same but it will give you a better understanding of what to research and what to look out for.

I am a new bully mom of just the last 2 years and there is sooooo much to know and learn! It is never ending. I have been through many scary moments with my 2 and i think i might have lost it if it weren't for this community.. lol!

Please stick around, you surely won't regret it.

So glad your Walter is doing better:heartsign: Keep us posted on his progress

PS... Palate issues and the required surgery are Very common for these dogs. My girl Stella had it done and it made a world of difference for her and her breathing.
My Harvey will also be having it done this Thursday along with his Nares and Nueter. No need to be freaked out at the thought, just ensure whatever you do always use a VET who is experienced with our breed.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.