Dark tongue

andreaproykova

Jan 25, 2020
Country
Bulgaria
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonny
Hi There,
I adopted a bulldog two months ago. She is around 10 years old. Her tongue was very pink.
But now her tongue is dark red and her tip is almost black. We went to the vets and they told me that It's because mostly of the time her tongue is out. Wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.

I'd love some suggestions of what you think this could be.

I've attached a few photos.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank u
bonka.jpgboni.jpgbonnka.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi There,
I adopted a bulldog two months ago. She is around 10 years old. Her tongue was very pink.
But now her tongue is dark red and her tip is almost black. We went to the vets and they told me that It's because mostly of the time her tongue is out. Wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.

I'd love some suggestions of what you think this could be.

I've attached a few photos.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank u
View attachment 118422View attachment 118421View attachment 118423

welcome to EBN... thank you for rescuing her.

I have seen the dark red, dry tongue due to always being out... my first boy was like this. But, Iā€™ve never seen the black.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=19457]andreaproykova[/MENTION] Your dogs tongue is exposed to the air-either due to loss of teeth, or sometimes due to a bully's jaw configuration. Putting olive oil on her tongue each day once or more- would help the dryness-it is darker red,due to dryness. The black tip may have always been their(just her color) may have gotten some frostbite in her younger days. As long as the black doesn't start to spread,it is probably fine.

Grace4256

Nov 7, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
Hello! I know this question is almost 4 years old, but I was wondering if your dog's tongue stayed dark or if it was a temporary thing. Our bulldog is 8 and I just noticed this same thing today. Sorry to reply on such an old post.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Hello! I know this question is almost 4 years old, but I was wondering if your dog's tongue stayed dark or if it was a temporary thing. Our bulldog is 8 and I just noticed this same thing today. Sorry to reply on such an old post.
@andreaproykova never returned after posting thisā€¦

Can you share photos of your dogā€™s tongue, @Grace4256 ? Is it just the tip like in the OP, or the whole thing?

Grace4256

Nov 7, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
@andreaproykova never returned after posting thisā€¦

Can you share photos of your dogā€™s tongue, @Grace4256 ? Is it just the tip like in the OP, or the whole thing?
Wow I was honestly not expecting a response at all, let alone one so fast! Had to wait for the old man to stick out his tongue (which is usually sticking out all the time)

Please ignore the grossness of the rug

Attachments

• 20231107_201742.jpg
    20231107_201742.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Wow I was honestly not expecting a response at all, let alone one so fast! Had to wait for the old man to stick out his tongue (which is usually sticking out all the time)

Please ignore the grossness of the rug
It looks similar to me. I think @oscarmayer and @Manydogs will offer some thoughts when they're around. Maybe try a drop of olive oil for the time being as Manydogs mentioned above.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
looks chapped due to dryness. I like the olive oil idea. I've only had one boy that ever had his tongue turn dark from dryness. But the darkness on the tip would come and go. Perhaps put a dab of Vaseline on it if olive oil not readily available...Chapstick maybe.

Most Reactions