EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Cinder is almost 6 months old now and itā€™s time to have her spayed...I have been nervous about this because I have not been able to completely trust her regular vet.. She has had a few issues that I have discussed with the vet and disagreed with her opinion on..I did what I thought was best regardless and Cinder has done very well... Now Iā€™m no vet but I have the nickname ā€œEllieMayā€ for a reason...

Anyway... they were going over their routine procedures for spaying and mentioned that they required your pet to stay overnight... I havenā€™t had to do this in many years but I never had to leave one overnight before...so I began to question why? The lady explains to me that itā€™s for observation and in the best interest of the animal.. So I want to know who is staying overnight with my dog??? ā€œ well no one physically... but we have camera monitoring and alarms... & I only live 2 minutes away if there is an issueā€.

NO ONE?? so you want me to leave my dog whoā€™s just had surgery in an empty building...where if something happens the RECEPTIONIST only lives two minutes away?.. WTF????

I am only sharing this to make people aware... IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF ANYTHING, ASK QUESTIONS!

I have a wonderful vet that is now about 2-1/2 hours away from me... I used him for my other animals before I moved to Marshall 7 years ago and have continued to use him because our issues have been pretty rare.. I had thought to get a local vet for Cinder but now I believe Iā€™ll make the drive...

Sorry for the rant..Iā€™m still HOT!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Good Job Mama EllieMay standing up for Cinder!! I was terrified of Ellie getting spayed, I raked them over the coals with Questions before the scheduling the procedure, and THANKFULLY Ellie has TWO wonderful Vets, she had her procedure done, and did stay the night, but it was at a 24/7 Hospital, fully staffed with Vets.

Just curious, why the Spay so early?? Both Ellie's Vet's would not Spay her till (3) Mos AFTER her 1st Heat Cycle...So for Ellie she was BARELY past 1yr...

PS WE LOVE CINDER...

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder

Thank you Melissa! Sheā€™s pretty special to me too ;~}

The practice of spaying at a younger age has been proven to have an easier recovery time and be a less complicated surgery in the stages before first heat... it also reduces the risk of Mammary Tumors.. This is the first dog I have ever had spayed this early so I confirmed this info in several places... I guess it kind of makes sense...

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

The practice of spaying at a younger age has been proven to have an easier recovery time and be a less complicated surgery in the stages before first heat... it also reduces the risk of Mammary Tumors.. This is the first dog I have ever had spayed this early so I confirmed this info in several places... I guess it kind of makes sense...

Makes sense, I am sure she will do great!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I thought I had a temper loll. Good job girl!!!

My lovely EllieMay.....more n more new studies shows to wait for the dogā€™s first heat. If you look at the studies in Europe they barely get their dogs spayed or neutered. Cinder IMO should definitely wait till her first heat. These studies as you mentioned is incorrect. Like you said, question it....Why is it in Europe which their dogs are mostly all intact donā€™t have same health issues like here? Cancer, tumors, bone issues would be higher over in Europe than here according to these studies on this side n yet, Europe dogs have less issues n mostly all intact. Itā€™s like us women, as you know if you get everything ripped out of you, you have a huge risk ending up with other issues. Same as dogs. This is more of a western side of the planet cause people here are so not responsible n why our shelters n fostering is jammed packed. Why they push it more here. IMO, I doubt it has to do with health issues. A dog is a dog, doesnā€™t matter what side of the planet they are. They will all have the same issues no matter what. Why I say if Europeā€™s dogs are mostly all intact n has no problem, sure proves to me yes ME that there is no need to have them fix. If you want to at least wait for their first heat. My males have/had vasectomies only cause my sons have a few females n males and I didnā€™t want any pregnancies. Why I find a vet that does vasectomies. I want them to keep everything going. If I would get another female I would simply have her tubes tied. But again thatā€™s me. Everyone believes differently. Itā€™s all good. :) Hereā€™s a few links you might want to read before you decide as 6months is way too young. She needs her hormones for her bones n joints and all..... :)

https://www.baxterboo.com/fun/a.cfm/why-you-should-consider-not-spaying-or-neutering-your-dog

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/your-dog-needs-to-be-spayed-or-neutered-right/

https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/spaying-female-dog.html

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Cinder is almost 6 months old now and itā€™s time to have her spayed...I have been nervous about this because I have not been able to completely trust her regular vet.. She has had a few issues that I have discussed with the vet and disagreed with her opinion on..I did what I thought was best regardless and Cinder has done very well... Now Iā€™m no vet but I have the nickname ā€œEllieMayā€ for a reason...

Anyway... they were going over their routine procedures for spaying and mentioned that they required your pet to stay overnight... I havenā€™t had to do this in many years but I never had to leave one overnight before...so I began to question why? The lady explains to me that itā€™s for observation and in the best interest of the animal.. So I want to know who is staying overnight with my dog??? ā€œ well no one physically... but we have camera monitoring and alarms... & I only live 2 minutes away if there is an issueā€.

NO ONE?? so you want me to leave my dog whoā€™s just had surgery in an empty building...where if something happens the RECEPTIONIST only lives two minutes away?.. WTF????

I am only sharing this to make people aware... IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF ANYTHING, ASK QUESTIONS!

I have a wonderful vet that is now about 2-1/2 hours away from me... I used him for my other animals before I moved to Marshall 7 years ago and have continued to use him because our issues have been pretty rare.. I had thought to get a local vet for Cinder but now I believe Iā€™ll make the drive...

Mamma Bear You Go Girl!!! Iā€™d have done the exact same thing, WTF is right! Cinder you have the best Mom!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

FYI my girl Joey had her spay surgery at 6 months for the reasons youā€™ve mentioned, on the advice of her vet

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
I thought I had a temper loll. Good job girl!!!

My lovely EllieMay.....more n more new studies shows to wait for the dogā€™s first heat. If you look at the studies in Europe they barely get their dogs spayed or neutered. Cinder IMO should definitely wait till her first heat. These studies as you mentioned is incorrect. Like you said, question it....Why is it in Europe which their dogs are mostly all intact donā€™t have same health issues like here? Cancer, tumors, bone issues would be higher over in Europe than here according to these studies on this side n yet, Europe dogs have less issues n mostly all intact. Itā€™s like us women, as you know if you get everything ripped out of you, you have a huge risk ending up with other issues. Same as dogs. This is more of a western side of the planet cause people here are so not responsible n why our shelters n fostering is jammed packed. Why they push it more here. IMO, I doubt it has to do with health issues. A dog is a dog, doesnā€™t matter what side of the planet they are. They will all have the same issues no matter what. Why I say if Europeā€™s dogs are mostly all intact n has no problem, sure proves to me yes ME that there is no need to have them fix. If you want to at least wait for their first heat. My males have/had vasectomies only cause my sons have a few females n males and I didnā€™t want any pregnancies. Why I find a vet that does vasectomies. I want them to keep everything going. If I would get another female I would simply have her tubes tied. But again thatā€™s me. Everyone believes differently. Itā€™s all good. :) Hereā€™s a few links you might want to read before you decide as 6months is way too young. She needs her hormones for her bones n joints and all..... :)

https://www.baxterboo.com/fun/a.cfm/why-you-should-consider-not-spaying-or-neutering-your-dog

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/your-dog-needs-to-be-spayed-or-neutered-right/

https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/spaying-female-dog.html
Thank you! I AM going to do some more research... I also am hugely in favor leaving ovaries.. every female needs hormones.. these days, technology is so modern.. I had a full hysterectomy last year and they left my ovaries for all the reasons you stated... it was so easy on me and I would like nothing less for Cinder... not sure if thatā€™s an option but you can bet that I will know every one before we do anything..

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
FYI my girl Joey had her spay surgery at 6 months for the reasons youā€™ve mentioned, on the advice of her vet
Thanks Sue!! There is always so much conflicting info on every decision you have to make ... I wonā€™t do anything until I feel good about it. I think yā€™all are awesome. Iā€™m glad to be apart of so much experience. It counts for a lot.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks Sue!! There is always so much conflicting info on every decision you have to make ... I wonā€™t do anything until I feel good about it. I think yā€™all are awesome. Iā€™m glad to be apart of so much experience. It counts for a lot.

Sure! Joey and I have been members here since she was 9 weeks old (turns 5 end of May) We could not have survived without the help of this awesome community!!! I am so glad that you and sweet Cinder found your way here!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

YOU GO!!!! Our vet has a tech stay if any animal needs to be there overnight. If none are onsite, no tech needed.

We also drive an hour to our vet and there is an office we could walk to so I can totally relate. Know your gut and follow it.

As for spay... 6 is earliest, our vet recommended after 1st spay, but with all new procedures... it is good to research and do what you feel is best for you and Cinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=19271]EllieMay[/MENTION] Good post - one of course assumes leaving a dog means there will be someone watching her! It surprises me if it is even legal to have customers pay for hospitalisation if there is no staff on site. Seems like a dodgy place.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Just saw this post and I'm glad you asked the question "who was going to be at the office all night to watch her"... We just had Lexi spayed (9months) and I would never leave her overnight, I trust myself enough to watch her and know if anything goes wrong. Lexi's spay went smooth and she was acting great by the next day...the hard part was keeping her calm and not jumping. My last pup that I had spayed, this was back in the early 2000's, it was hard to find a place where she wasn't required to spend the night. I'm glad they've backed off on that. I know it's more work for us but I also believe they heal better when they aren't under the stress of being in a strange place without their family.

practition

Sep 15, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi! Raising an obedient animal is a long, timeā€“consuming process that requires patience and endurance. Not every owner can do this, so inexperienced dog breeders often turn to an instructor. But, if you do not plan to take a four-legged friend to exhibitions or you have a decorative breed, you can do training at home. But personally, I chose the services of real professionals, which is why I asked for help from https://www.veterinaryschoolsu.com/vet-assistant/vet-assistant-vs-vet-tech/.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.