1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I had a long chat with the vet today. Monty has not improved except he does not regurgitate any more. He has been on anti-nausea meds though so that might change. Still gallons of drool and coughing to clear his throat. There are some additional things we are noticing. He used to be a "dainty" drinker. Not anymore, he now splashes it everywhere. He seems to be having problems swallowing. With just a teaspoon of hand-fed soft food, it will take him a long time to get to the swallowing point. I now feed him many small meals throughout the day. His tongue comes out of the side of his mouth when attempting to eat, also new. He gazes into space and often appears "lost" or can't find us when we say his name, even a few feet away. I think he can see just fine. He is unsteady on his feet at times. With these other symptoms arising, we have come to the conclusion it is something in his brain. Strokes are fairly unusual in dogs but they happen. It could be a tumour. The only way to find out for sure is an MRI and we are not going to do that as it will not change a thing plus he would have to be sedated. He does not appear to be in any pain. We are going to keep him as comfortable as we can until we think he has no quality of life or things get really bad.

This is not what I thought would happen and I know everyone understands how heartbroken we are with what is to come. Our lovely sweet boy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pam... Iā€™m heartbroken for you all, he is the sweetest boy and loved beyond words. We all support you and know you will always put Monty first , loving him, hand feeding, and comfortable as you possibly can.

sending you tons of hugs and love. Please give him a hug and kiss from me.
if there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

not what I was praying for... but I agree no need for the MRI, it as you said, wonā€™t change anything.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just donā€™t know what to say. All this is so odd. I would have to agree with you ā€œno MRI.ā€ Sadly your hands are tied n I know itā€™s hurting you too. We just want to help them and we canā€™t. Keep doing what youā€™ve been doing with the hand feeding, cuddles, talking to him. Even though he appears lost, he knows youā€™re there. Hugs to you n Monty. We are here for you!! Xoxo

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Horrible news ! I'm sorry to hear that about poor Monty. Did vet discuss a feeding tube?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So sorry to be reading this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Best wishes to sweet Monty and you from us.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh dear! I was heartbroken to read this update on sweet Monty! Not that it matters but Iā€™d be doing the same thing if I had to make that decision, to me it shows the enormous, unending love you have for your boy!

Peace and my continued prayers friend!

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I am so sorry to hear about Monty, he's been through so much. Enjoy your time together and it already sounds like your doing a great job of keeping him comfortable. I've been there and know how hard this it for you.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Horrible news ! I'm sorry to hear that about poor Monty. Did vet discuss a feeding tube?

Thank you.

No, he didn't and in all honesty, I don't think I would go that route. He is still eating albeit slowly and the food is very soft. As I am hand feeding him, I think he thinks he is getting loads of treats! My other dog certainly thinks so! He doesn't seem miserable, just a bit vacant, sometimes more so than others. He is still doing his 'Chewbacca' thing when he wants a cuddle and has had no more accidents in the house after the first two when he first went on prednisone. He is off it now but will see how he does appetite-wise. He is a changed dog but he is still 'our Monty' if you know what I mean. We will continue for as long as it is fair to him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My heart truly hurts to read this, I'm SO very sorry...

I agree that an MRI is pointless, and I agree that this does sound like a brain tumor... when my boxer Roxie started acting odd and out of sorts they diagnosed her with cushings disease. We knew at the end she had a brain tumor, it was so hard to watch her decline. I hand fed her, and gave her water... she let me know when she was ready.

Love on sweet Monty as much as you can... each day is a blessing of course. We are here for you :heart:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] Sorry to hear such sad news about Monty. Just recently been through almost same situation with Katie. I am so sorry that you and Monty have to go through this-but you are still together,and he loves you and you love him. He knows this and when this time comes, all we all can do, is the BEST we can do for them, and also the kindest. We give them alot of love squeezed in a few short years,and they in return do the same for us. God bless you both.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
A person I work with is putting down his cat tonight. The cat is 17 years old, blind from undiagnosed hypertension, and has been incontinent for months. In the last few weeks the cat had some type of cancer erode through his mouth into his jaw, which is foul smelling from being necrotic, and is too old to get a facial reconstruction. Despite all this he's running up to the owner and purring for attention, and trying to eat to sustain his life. He's on buprenorphine, I think, for pain, the last few weeks. The owner wisely decided that although the cat still has a zest for life, it's his time to go. I was tearing up when the owner told me this, but the owner wasn't, because he knew it was time.

You'll know when the time is right, and everyone here knows how great a life Monty has had with you, and hope that his last times with you will be as great as the years leading up to this.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ellie and I most heartbroken hearing about Monty, and we send all our best to you during this tender time:hug::hug:

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So sorry to hear.
Bella and I are praying for you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online