Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
We would like to get Oliver off apoqual and try the cytopoint shot. just not sure how that would work. do you wean off apoqual or just stop it once the shot would be administered? I just weaned him completely off steroids and want to build his immune system up. As I took him off the steroids I can tell he feels a lot better and his skin is healing up nicely.

Jax went from Apoquel to Cytopoint without any weaning.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How long was he on Apoquel when you switched to Cytopoint. I have an appt in two weeks. Oliver has been on Apoquel for 9 months.

He was on Apoquel for a few years and then Cytopoint came out and at I probably talked to the dermatologist about switching at one of his annual check ups and then we switched and he's been on Cytopoint ever since and it has worked wonders. Even on the Apoquel I would still have to give Jax a every week. Now it's once a month or longer.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
How long was he on Apoquel when you switched to Cytopoint. I have an appt in two weeks. Oliver has been on Apoquel for 9 months.

Is Duke on raw food? If not it may solve a lot of your skin problems by switching to raw. Also, is he on fish oil supplement? That's great for itchy skin too.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=19428]Sedaves[/MENTION] I'm sorry I am just seeing this post and when I first saw your pictures, I thought - this looks exactly like Calcinosis Cutis, which is very common in dogs who have Cushing's disease. I am still dealing with Curly's case from being on steroids long term due to his chemotherapy. It has been about 4 months since Curly was diagnosed with it. His fur would literally come out in clumps

I did not use DMSO on Curly. The side effects concerned me, esp. as his immune system is compromised. He was put on antibiotics for his skin plus given cytopoint that helped with the itching. After a few weeks there wasn't much improvement, so we had a skin culture done, and he also had e coli as a part of his infection, so the derm switched the antibiotics and that right there really sped up the process of him healing, combined with the cytopoint shot.

I would also give him a bath once a week with Malaseb and then every day gently brush out the crusty's with a furminator (VERY gently).

It's going to take a while for it to heal up. I hope for a quick recovery!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=19428]Sedaves[/MENTION] Oh and the antibiotics he was on was first Simplicef and then they switched him to doxycline. Basically Calcinosis Cutis is extremely itchy, and the itching caused a staph infection. Then he also had evidence of e coli on his culture which is why they switched him to doxycline. After switching him to doxycline, we saw great improvement. Curly still has a mild case of Calcinosis Cutis but he only needed a cyptopoint shot and no antibiotics after his last dermatologist visit on Tuesday.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I did not have a weaning period, we just started him on the Cytopoint shots. I only get them when he needs them, this last go-round I waited too long... it had been about 3 months.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Is Duke on raw food? If not it may solve a lot of your skin problems by switching to raw. Also, is he on fish oil supplement? That's great for itchy skin too.

yes just recent and also he does take a fish oil. I really think his skin issue is from steroid use and a suppressed immune system. he is almost completely weaned off now and I am praying this heals quickly with building his system back up.

OP
Sedaves

Sedaves

Jan 12, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie and Thornton
[MENTION=19428]Sedaves[/MENTION] I'm sorry I am just seeing this post and when I first saw your pictures, I thought - this looks exactly like Calcinosis Cutis, which is very common in dogs who have Cushing's disease. I am still dealing with Curly's case from being on steroids long term due to his chemotherapy. It has been about 4 months since Curly was diagnosed with it. His fur would literally come out in clumps

I did not use DMSO on Curly. The side effects concerned me, esp. as his immune system is compromised. He was put on antibiotics for his skin plus given cytopoint that helped with the itching. After a few weeks there wasn't much improvement, so we had a skin culture done, and he also had e coli as a part of his infection, so the derm switched the antibiotics and that right there really sped up the process of him healing, combined with the cytopoint shot.

I would also give him a bath once a week with Malaseb and then every day gently brush out the crusty's with a furminator (VERY gently).

It's going to take a while for it to heal up. I hope for a quick recovery!

Thanks for the info. I did join a facebook calcinosis cutis group and they have a bunch of helpful information and it gives me some hope that she will get through this. I've got an appointment on Monday for culture because she was on antibiotics for over 2 weeks and its still getting worse. She just started the trilostane, so fingers crossed that helps the recovery process. They are in the process of transitioning to a raw diet as well.

OP
Sedaves

Sedaves

Jan 12, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie and Thornton
N3J3v+PCQzuGLMqh1P7zJg.jpg
[MENTION=19428]Sedaves[/MENTION] How is your bully doing? hoping better! :pray:

She is about the same. I ended up joining a Cushings and Calcinosis cutis group on facebook thanks to [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and it's been quite helpful. She did start the trilostane, but after reading a bunch of horror stories on how vets tend to start at too high of a dose, I've contacted my vet to have her start on a lower dose and move up if needed. Apparently it can cause terrible side effects and even death. So, now I am waiting on the new dose of meds to arrive, and am a bit afraid to give her the higher dose since I'm at work during the day and won't know if she isn't tolerating it. She had two doses and then I held it this morning.

Her neck is horrible, and I'm having a hard time keeping her from scratching it. She is getting benadryl 3x per day. I think I'm going to have to find a turtleneck or something for her to wear. We have an appt monday for culture of the wounds to determine the appropriate antibiotics(if infected).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 118367

She is about the same. I ended up joining a Cushings and Calcinosis cutis group on facebook thanks to [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and it's been quite helpful. She did start the trilostane, but after reading a bunch of horror stories on how vets tend to start at too high of a dose, I've contacted my vet to have her start on a lower dose and move up if needed. Apparently it can cause terrible side effects and even death. So, now I am waiting on the new dose of meds to arrive, and am a bit afraid to give her the higher dose since I'm at work during the day and won't know if she isn't tolerating it. She had two doses and then I held it this morning.

Her neck is horrible, and I'm having a hard time keeping her from scratching it. She is getting benadryl 3x per day. I think I'm going to have to find a turtleneck or something for her to wear. We have an appt monday for culture of the wounds to determine the appropriate antibiotics(if infected).

Poor girl... it must be so uncomfortable. When at your appointment, ask vet to shave the area, the fur traps dirty and dust and would add chances of infection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
View attachment 118367

She is about the same. I ended up joining a Cushings and Calcinosis cutis group on facebook thanks to @ddnene and it's been quite helpful. She did start the trilostane, but after reading a bunch of horror stories on how vets tend to start at too high of a dose, I've contacted my vet to have her start on a lower dose and move up if needed. Apparently it can cause terrible side effects and even death. So, now I am waiting on the new dose of meds to arrive, and am a bit afraid to give her the higher dose since I'm at work during the day and won't know if she isn't tolerating it. She had two doses and then I held it this morning.

I'm SO glad you found a good group... truth be told, Roxie didn't have cushings for long (literally months) so I don't feel comfortable giving advice because I feel inexperienced. I hope the meds work for your baby, and you can get her skin issues under control.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
View attachment 118367

She is about the same. I ended up joining a Cushings and Calcinosis cutis group on facebook thanks to @ddnene and it's been quite helpful. She did start the trilostane, but after reading a bunch of horror stories on how vets tend to start at too high of a dose, I've contacted my vet to have her start on a lower dose and move up if needed. Apparently it can cause terrible side effects and even death. So, now I am waiting on the new dose of meds to arrive, and am a bit afraid to give her the higher dose since I'm at work during the day and won't know if she isn't tolerating it. She had two doses and then I held it this morning.

Hoping you get some answers today at the vet. Oliver had almost that exact looking scab on his back , we are using Nu Stock and bathing him every 3rd day and it is the only thing that has worked. I am sorry your poor baby is so uncomfortable. Please update us after your visit.

Most Reactions