Help Needed! Rapidly worsening skin problem

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Theyā€™ve been on Zignature which has worked well for them. Millieā€™s skin is the worst by far, but I noticed Thornton started to develop some of the red crusty patches after switching too. His seem to be resolving on their own now that theyā€™re back on their old food.

Awe! I had two boxers. The male lived to 9.5 and got lymphoma. The female lived to 15!!! Great dogs. I was planning on making my own food, but may just swing by my local dog food store to see what they have available.

I will check out Facebook. I havenā€™t really searched anything on there. Just joined this forum to see if anyone has ever had anything that looked like what Millie has. She is starting the cushings med today.

Just go raw. So worth it... I was at the vet this morning for Jake has a little eyelash problem but Iā€™m on it... Vet even said to keep up the raw as he was really amazed how a beautiful skin/coat he had. He said thereā€™s so many skin issues on EB n yours is perfect. Jake also developed a little rash from this new collar n Iā€™ve been using NuStock and heā€™s all for that too. I started 2 days ago and almost gone. So donā€™t break your head n just put them on a raw diet. Hereā€™s a link that will help you if you want to do it. Follow the ratio to balance the meals out. Very simple.

https://blog.homesalive.ca/how-much-raw-food-for-dogs

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
HI There. I am sorry I am late to this thread but wanted to share as our EB ( he is almost 4) has / had - it has started to dry up and heal finally the almost identical thing in same spot.
We in the beginning thought it was ring worm, it was light pink round marks, had a ring worm test done and it came back 3 weeks later ( they actually have to grow the culture ) as negative. From there we had a skin scraping done and a skin cytology test.
We gave him antibiotics and he was on a low dose steroid ( 5 mg ) and apoqual. Our bully is allergic to almost everything. I have researched out the rear end everything about skin issues. I have begun to switch him to a raw diet and also after trying SO many prescription creams and sprays tried Nu Stock cream. It is the ONLY thing that has worked. we are on week two and all the lesions are very dry and starting to fall off and the skin underneath is white. I weaned Oliver off prednisone and I am beginning to give him curcumin ( tumeric) supplements I have read this is excellent for inflammation of the skin. My vet who at this point is guessing wanted him to have surgery to remove them. This is our 2nd bulldog with major skin issues. WE have spent thousands at the University of Penn dermatology for them to tell us to give him zrtec and apoqual. so I am taking the holistic route and will keep you posted. I truly believe that all the meds they give these bullies cause even more skin issues. When their immune system gets compromised , the body reacts. In the interim I would highly recommend the Nu Stock cream! Also if your bully is itchy I give a combo Benadryl in am and zrtec pm. Good Luck!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], you are bang on!!! Yes definitely keep us posted. :)

Love your name babyduke :)

OP
Sedaves

Sedaves

Jan 12, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie and Thornton
Update:

The biopsy results came in and itā€™s Calcinosis cutis. My vet is now recommending I get it cultured because the pathologist said it can be infected and have antibiotic resistant bacteria. Iā€™m to stop the antibiotics and not clean it at all until her appointment on Monday to ensure they get a good sample for culture. Iā€™m the meantime, sheā€™s started the trilostane and the whole house smelled like farts when I got home. Fingers crossed stinky gas (which is her norm anyways) is the only side effect.

Any ideas on how I can get her to stop scratching her neck? A cone or donut will rub on her already horrible neck skin...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] , great work ! If you find the allergies get bad, try Cytopoint instead of Apoquel and prednisone, it's considered quite a bit safer !

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry to hear [MENTION=19428]Sedaves[/MENTION] . Try antihistamine and oatmeal bath, and continue chlorhexidine bath twice a week after. Have her wear a t-shirt. I'm going to paste some info from a vet manual:

TREATMENT OVERVIEW
In most patients with calcinosis cutis, lesions slowly resolve spontaneously once the underlying disease is controlled or resolved.

ACUTE GENERAL TREATMENT
Discontinue or reduce dosage of systemic corticosteroids.
Oral antihistamines and bathing with oatmeal-based shampoo may be effective in controlling pruritus associated with
calcinosis cutis.
CHRONIC TREATMENT
Topical dimethyl sulfoxide applied to up to one-third of body each treatment may dissolve the calcium. If lesions are extensive,
serum calcium levels should be monitored for hypercalcemia with this therapy.
Hydrotherapy and frequent bathing with antibacterial shampoo will reduce pruritus and potential for secondary bacterial infection.

PROGNOSIS AND OUTCOME
Calcinosis cutis may regress spontaneously without treatment over weeks to months, with resolution or control of the
underlying disease.
Recurrence of calcinosis circumscripta lesions post surgical excision does not occur

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Update:

The biopsy results came in and itā€™s Calcinosis cutis. My vet is now recommending I get it cultured because the pathologist said it can be infected and have antibiotic resistant bacteria. Iā€™m to stop the antibiotics and not clean it at all until her appointment on Monday to ensure they get a good sample for culture. Iā€™m the meantime, sheā€™s started the trilostane and the whole house smelled like farts when I got home. Fingers crossed stinky gas (which is her norm anyways) is the only side effect.

Any ideas on how I can get her to stop scratching her neck? A cone or donut will rub on her already horrible neck skin...

Not much you can do as it needs to air out. Supervision. Vet wraps are breathable but definitely has to air out.

Btw, whatā€™s your old food? Why donā€™t you start topping their meals with tripe. Just simply go to your pet shops and gets in the freezer section the green smelly tripe. Give one pattie per days especially in this case. Also do add fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Probiotics will get the immune system back on track. Itā€™s the way to go.

OP
Sedaves

Sedaves

Jan 12, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie and Thornton
Sorry to hear [MENTION=19428]Sedaves[/MENTION] . Try antihistamine and oatmeal bath, and continue chlorhexidine bath twice a week after. Have her wear a t-shirt. I'm going to paste some info from a vet manual:

TREATMENT OVERVIEW
In most patients with calcinosis cutis, lesions slowly resolve spontaneously once the underlying disease is controlled or resolved.

ACUTE GENERAL TREATMENT
Discontinue or reduce dosage of systemic corticosteroids.
Oral antihistamines and bathing with oatmeal-based shampoo may be effective in controlling pruritus associated with
calcinosis cutis.
CHRONIC TREATMENT
Topical dimethyl sulfoxide applied to up to one-third of body each treatment may dissolve the calcium. If lesions are extensive,
serum calcium levels should be monitored for hypercalcemia with this therapy.
Hydrotherapy and frequent bathing with antibacterial shampoo will reduce pruritus and potential for secondary bacterial infection.

PROGNOSIS AND OUTCOME
Calcinosis cutis may regress spontaneously without treatment over weeks to months, with resolution or control of the
underlying disease.
Recurrence of calcinosis circumscripta lesions post surgical excision does not occur

Ok, good info to know. Iā€™ve been giving Benadryl once per day but I may start giving it twice. Iā€™ll definitely start washing with oatmeal wash after the culture. Plus, they are transitioning to raw food...Hoping all these things will help her recover and be more comfortable.

I really appreciate all the responses and advice! This was so sudden and severe. Iā€™ll keep you updated.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ok, good info to know. Iā€™ve been giving Benadryl once per day but I may start giving it twice. Iā€™ll definitely start washing with oatmeal wash after the culture. Plus, they are transitioning to raw food...Hoping all these things will help her recover and be more comfortable.

I really appreciate all the responses and advice! This was so sudden and severe. Iā€™ll keep you updated.

She looks like she's really itchy! I would give Benadryl 3 times a day if you can.

OP
Sedaves

Sedaves

Jan 12, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie and Thornton
She looks like she's really itchy! I would give Benadryl 3 times a day if you can.

Ok, I can do that. She tries to rub her back on the furniture and sheā€™s scratching that spot on her neck so itā€™s all bloody. I can tell sheā€™s not feeling well by her behavior. I still get some nub wags and lovin, but sheā€™s staring a lot and just looking old.

OP
Sedaves

Sedaves

Jan 12, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie and Thornton
Not much you can do as it needs to air out. Supervision. Vet wraps are breathable but definitely has to air out.

Btw, whatā€™s your old food? Why donā€™t you start topping their meals with tripe. Just simply go to your pet shops and gets in the freezer section the green smelly tripe. Give one pattie per days especially in this case. Also do add fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Probiotics will get the immune system back on track. Itā€™s the way to go.

Theyā€™ve been on Zignature Zssentials. I have doggie probiotics. Iā€™m a little concerned about giving her sauerkraut due to the sodium content. Everything Iā€™ve been reading about Cushings says to avoid sodium. Iā€™m trying homemade for now. Iā€™ll probably pick some tripe/premade raw food from the dog food store as well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@BabyDuke , great work ! If you find the allergies get bad, try Cytopoint instead of Apoquel and prednisone, it's considered quite a bit safer !

Cytopoint has been a game changer for my Walter!!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Same with Jax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would like to get Oliver off apoqual and try the cytopoint shot. just not sure how that would work. do you wean off apoqual or just stop it once the shot would be administered? I just weaned him completely off steroids and want to build his immune system up. As I took him off the steroids I can tell he feels a lot better and his skin is healing up nicely.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We would like to get Oliver off apoqual and try the cytopoint shot. just not sure how that would work. do you wean off apoqual or just stop it once the shot would be administered? I just weaned him completely off steroids and want to build his immune system up. As I took him off the steroids I can tell he feels a lot better and his skin is healing up nicely.

I personally would go the weaning route. Btw what do feed him?

[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.