Acting Strange-Hunched over

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Hello: I need some advice. My EB is currently not wanting too move much. His penis is hard and a little sticking out. He is not crying or acting like he's in pain. I've attached a pic. He doesn't want to go out. Was standing on the couch with his bum close to the couch and a little hunched over. My husband then got him to move off the couch and he came over to sit beside me and press his bum up to me. I'm sorry but I've never seen him/it like this. What could be wrong? My husband said he was normal when he came home from work. He said he took him outside and he peed with no issues. And he was lying on the couch when I got home but then sat up and was standing oddly on the couch. He is 4 years old, on a raw diet and pees and poops with no issues. He is a little stinky from his bum. Is it his anal glands? He's never acted like this before and he seems like he may be uncomfortable back there just by the way he hunches over.
297c05071a6c9fb6423f263e0ee709ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello: I need some advice. My EB is currently not wanting too move much. His penis is hard and a little sticking out. He is not crying or acting like he's in pain. I've attached a pic. He doesn't want to go out. Was standing on the couch with his bum close to the couch and a little hunched over. My husband then got him to move off the couch and he came over to sit beside me and press his bum up to me. I'm sorry but I've never seen him/it like this. What could be wrong? My husband said he was normal when he came home from work. He said he took him outside and he peed with no issues. And he was lying on the couch when I got home but then sat up and was standing oddly on the couch. He is 4 years old, on a raw diet and pees and poops with no issues. He is a little stinky from his bum. Is it his anal glands? He's never acted like this before and he seems like he may be uncomfortable back there just by the way he hunches over.
297c05071a6c9fb6423f263e0ee709ba.jpg

Does the odor smell kind of fishy?

The tip of penis being out looks like it might be because of how he is sitting. Hunched over ... wonder if he hurt his back or pulled a muscle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If I look at Jake he looks like your photo. He’s not neutered but has a vasectomy. Everything is intact so yes his penis also is a bit harder n sticks out a bit if he’s sitting down. Male species :) I doubt it’s the anal glands as it wouldn’t make him hunch. Can he lay down on his belly without hunched or pain?

Like can he lay down like this photo?
D995A44E-0112-4D0A-A223-4DD36614FE42.jpeg

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Does the odor smell kind of fishy?

The tip of penis being out looks like it might be because of how he is sitting. Hunched over ... wonder if he hurt his back or pulled a muscle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]! The odor is fishy.....we do have his anal glands expressed. He will probably get them done tomorrow. But every time he smells fishy we get them expressed. Last time, around maybe 6 weeks ago the vet tech told us they weren't completely full...not even halfway. But it did stop the smell. I am fearful expressing their anal glands frequently is a bad thing for them-no? I didn't think he injured himself as he's normally a calm doggie. He's doing better now. He ate earlier without issues and has even laid on the floor completely. When he was hunched over earlier it I can see he was moving his tail and his penis area.....

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
If I look at Jake he looks like your photo. He’s not neutered but has a vasectomy. Everything is intact so yes his penis also is a bit harder n sticks out a bit if he’s sitting down. Male species :) I doubt it’s the anal glands as it wouldn’t make him hunch. Can he lay down on his belly without hunched or pain?

Like can he lay down like this photo?
View attachment 118257

Hi helsonwheels: my boy is neutered. He is laying down fine now. A bit similar to your Jake but he has one leg under him... I get worried easily with him...He's my baby.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi helsonwheels: my boy is neutered. He is laying down fine now. A bit similar to your Jake but he has one leg under him... I get worried easily with him...He's my baby.

Trust me a lot of us worries too...

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Does he have a tail pocket??
Hi EllieMay: yes, he does have a tail pocket. We keep it clean. The fishy smell that others speak of...is that from his anal glands or is that from.his tail pocket? We never really have had issues with his tail pocket. He usually needs his anal glands expressed when he gets smelly Back there

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi EllieMay: yes, he does have a tail pocket. We keep it clean. The fishy smell that others speak of...is that from his anal glands or is that from.his tail pocket? We never really have had issues with his tail pocket. He usually needs his anal glands expressed when he gets smelly Back there

[MENTION=19271]EllieMay[/MENTION] is probably right as tail pocket smells fishy sour type. My brindle Nyala has a tail pocket issue. I was cleaning it every 3 days till she was 2-3yrs old. Then weekly now monthly. She’s 4yrs old. But lately I had to go back cleaning it every 2 weeks.

Most dogs will sit on their bum wiggle to empty their own glands themselves. If you keep doing them or having them done often, it will become a regular often thing to do. Why you need to let them sit n wiggle themselves. So yes definitely check the tail.

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
[MENTION=19271]EllieMay[/MENTION] is probably right as tail pocket smells fishy sour type. My brindle Nyala has a tail pocket issue. As a put I was cleaning it every 3 days till she was 2-3yrs old. Then weekly now monthly. She’s 4yrs old. But lately I had to go back cleaning it every 2 weeks.

Most dogs will sit on their bum wiggle to empty their own glands themselves. If you keep doing them or having them done often, it will become a regular often thing to do. Why you need to let them sit n wiggle themselves. So yes definitely check the tail.[/QUOTE [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]: thank you for your help. Unfortunately, even with him scooting around on his bum it hasn't relieved the discomfort he feels and certainly not the smell. We've always kept his backside clean but this time he was acting very differently. I am taking him to the vet this AM.
Thanks all for your input!!! I appreciate it! Jl

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Just now seeing this thread...
I was going to suggest seeing your Vet to rule out everything that has been proposed/discussed. Please report back with what you figure out.
GL Apollo!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=19271]EllieMay[/MENTION] is probably right as tail pocket smells fishy sour type. My brindle Nyala has a tail pocket issue. As a put I was cleaning it every 3 days till she was 2-3yrs old. Then weekly now monthly. She’s 4yrs old. But lately I had to go back cleaning it every 2 weeks.

Most dogs will sit on their bum wiggle to empty their own glands themselves. If you keep doing them or having them done often, it will become a regular often thing to do. Why you need to let them sit n wiggle themselves. So yes definitely check the tail.[/QUOTE [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]: thank you for your help. Unfortunately, even with him scooting around on his bum it hasn't relieved the discomfort he feels and certainly not the smell. We've always kept his backside clean but this time he was acting very differently. I am taking him to the vet this AM.
Thanks all for your input!!! I appreciate it! Jl

All dogs react differently, bring him to a vet for a good checkup :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Does sound like an anal gland issue-also Some male dogs (even when neutered-though less likely) produce what is called Smegma,under the foreskin, and sometimes that may need cleaning by moving the foreskin back,and gently cleaning. Just another thought...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi @2BullyMama! The odor is fishy.....we do have his anal glands expressed. He will probably get them done tomorrow. But every time he smells fishy we get them expressed. Last time, around maybe 6 weeks ago the vet tech told us they weren't completely full...not even halfway. But it did stop the smell. I am fearful expressing their anal glands frequently is a bad thing for them-no? I didn't think he injured himself as he's normally a calm doggie. He's doing better now. He ate earlier without issues and has even laid on the floor completely. When he was hunched over earlier it I can see he was moving his tail and his penis area.....

sorry for delay... yes, fishy smell is anal glands. I have heard if glands are manually expressed too much it can make it that they no longer do on their own . How has he been today?

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Hello everyone: just wanted to let you know that all is well with Apollo. It was his anal glands and nothing out of the norm. The vet did express them as they were full. Apollo has never stayed frozen and hunched over before and even when I know his anal glands are full. Thanks for all of your advice as I find it so helpful in caring for my baby!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online