Pro Plan Calming Care

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
As some of you know, Monty suffers from Sundowners, a form of dementia. He gets anxious and very needy in the evenings. I have tried a couple of different CBD oils and also calming chews, nothing helped. I took him to the vet two weeks ago for his senior check-up (he is 9.5 now) and all is well. The vet suggested the Pro Plan Calming Care for the Sundowners and I have to say it has worked quite well. The problem is for the past few days he has been drooling, something he has never done, and today he sounds phlegmy. I just gave him a squirt of lemon juice so will see if that helps. I sent a message to Pro Plan and my vet and they both said they have no explantion for this side effect, if that is what it is.

Has anyone else used this product or have any suggestions. If he doesn't sound better on Monday I will take him to the vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry.. never heard of it. But drooling is sometimes a sign or pain or anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Pam, Pro Plan Calming Care is probiotic strain Bifidobacterium longum which is basically a probiotic with an anti inflammatory. As you know Iā€™m not a big fan of Purina. But thatā€™s me. I wouldnā€™t be surprised they add anti inflammatory as a supplement in that mix n not as example berries etc. anti inflammatory as a supplement isnā€™t recommended for a dog as itā€™s basically NSAIDS. Humans are different and we can take that type of supplement. Whatā€™s the kibble you feed him again?

If it was one of my dogs I would go food wise as a diet. I dug up in my favorites a link for you. I would stick to CBD. Just you need the right strain. The one you have is probably not strong enough for Chumly. For a good source of probiotics as you probably know reading all of our posts, is smelly green tripe, fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Use as a topper on the kibbles. If you can go raw would be better. Have you tried at night melatonin? Up the omegas, feed berries....

https://www.vivamunehealth.com/natural-anti-inflammatory-for-dogs/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fermented-foods-for-dogs/

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Pam, Pro Plan Calming Care is probiotic strain Bifidobacterium longum which is basically a probiotic with an anti inflammatory. As you know Iā€™m not a big fan of Purina. But thatā€™s me. I wouldnā€™t be surprised they add anti inflammatory as a supplement in that mix n not as example berries etc. anti inflammatory as a supplement isnā€™t recommended for a dog as itā€™s basically NSAIDS. Humans are different and we can take that type of supplement. Whatā€™s the kibble you feed him again?

If it was one of my dogs I would go food wise as a diet. I dug up in my favorites a link for you. I would stick to CBD. Just you need the right strain. The one you have is probably not strong enough for Chumly. For a good source of probiotics as you probably know reading all of our posts, is smelly green tripe, fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Use as a topper on the kibbles. If you can go raw would be better. Have you tried at night melatonin? Up the omegas, feed berries....

https://www.vivamunehealth.com/natural-anti-inflammatory-for-dogs/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fermented-foods-for-dogs/

I used to give him melatonin but it just made him drowsy during the day and didn't help his anxiety in the evening at all. I would give it to him with his evening meal (Zignature). He gets blueberries or strawberries as treats as I eat tons of them, Kefir and green beans as a topper. My main concern was the anxiety and this product, although I am not a fan of Purina, has certainly helped. I will probably take him to the vet on Monday if he is still drooling to make sure nothing else is going on although he just passed his thorough senior check-up with flying colours. The lemon juice seems to have helped the phlegm so thats good.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I used to give him melatonin but it just made him drowsy during the day and didn't help his anxiety in the evening at all. I would give it to him with his evening meal (Zignature). He gets blueberries or strawberries as treats as I eat tons of them, Kefir and green beans as a topper. My main concern was the anxiety and this product, although I am not a fan of Purina, has certainly helped. I will probably take him to the vet on Monday if he is still drooling to make sure nothing else is going on although he just passed his thorough senior check-up with flying colours. The lemon juice seems to have helped the phlegm so thats good.

Interesting. Youā€™re doing it the right way to plus she pass her senior checkup. Like Christine mentioned anxiety can be part of the drooling. I know each time I visit my breeder, Nyala will foam up. Takes about a good 30 minutes for her to stop. If I take her anywhere else sheā€™s find. Let us know what the vet said :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO I wouldn't change food on your dog at this point... I'm curious if maybe the drooling will stop over time?!! My Roxie had cushings disease, and she would wonder the house at night... drove me nuts!!! I agree the melatonin really makes them zombies during the daytime.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
IMO I wouldn't change food on your dog at this point... I'm curious if maybe the drooling will stop over time?!! My Roxie had cushings disease, and she would wonder the house at night... drove me nuts!!! I agree the melatonin really makes them zombies during the daytime.

I agree, I have no plans to change his food unless absolutely necessary. He does well on it and hasn't had a problem in the nearly 3 years he has been on it. The drooling is not as bad today and he has hardly tried to clear his throat at all BUT he regurgitated his food this morning and it was really foamy. He did it the other day too but I thought it was a one-off. Definitely a vet visit tomorrow. I do not want him to aspirate and it turn into pneumonia or something.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree, I have no plans to change his food unless absolutely necessary. He does well on it and hasn't had a problem in the nearly 3 years he has been on it. The drooling is not as bad today and he has hardly tried to clear his throat at all BUT he regurgitated his food this morning and it was really foamy. He did it the other day too but I thought it was a one-off. Definitely a vet visit tomorrow. I do not want him to aspirate and it turn into pneumonia or something.

I was answering a question in another thread about dosage of Boswellia. The member gives it as a pill form n I suggest to use it in liquid form. Frankincense is fantastic for inflammation why you want to target the inflammation immediately n use it in liquid. Anyhooooo....All this got me thinking about you... Donā€™t ask loll... You mentioned melatonin keeps Chumly drowsy. Have you tried giving it in liquid form as itā€™s fast release. Pill form is a slow release. Usually you would want melatonin or Vitamin C as pill form for it needs to release slowly. But if you try in liquid it might calm him down immediately on bad days. I would be curious see how it would work with Chumlyā€™s situation. Just a thought :)

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE.
Monty is at the 24 hour emergency vet with Aspiration Pneumonia. I took him early this morning. It is not severe but it is my worst fear. They did x-rays on his chest and abdomen because he tensed up when the vet checked his stomach. They saw 'something' but couldn't tell exactly what it was so he is going to have an ultrasound. It could be a hernia pressing on his oesophagus hence the regurgitation or it could be a mass or.... My poor boy. They said it was good we got him in as the pneumonia could get very nasty very quickly. He will be there 1-2 days, (hopefully just 1). He regurgitated his food again this morning. The vet thinks this is nothing to do with the Calming Care. it's just a coincidence in the timing plus we stopped it 3 days ago as a precaution. More when I know it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh Geez... listen hang in there. You know Monty is a trooper. At least now you know what youā€™re dealing with. Positive thought coming your way. You got this Monty!!! Please Keep Us Posted... We are all here... xoxoxo

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE.
Monty is at the 24 hour emergency vet with Aspiration Pneumonia. I took him early this morning. It is not severe but it is my worst fear. They did x-rays on his chest and abdomen because he tensed up when the vet checked his stomach. They saw 'something' but couldn't tell exactly what it was so he is going to have an ultrasound. It could be a hernia pressing on his oesophagus hence the regurgitation or it could be a mass or.... My poor boy. They said it was good we got him in as the pneumonia could get very nasty very quickly. He will be there 1-2 days, (hopefully just 1). He regurgitated his food again this morning. The vet thinks this is nothing to do with the Calming Care. it's just a coincidence in the timing plus we stopped it 3 days ago as a precaution. More when I know it.

Oh Pam! Sending tons of hugs and love to you and Monty, so sorry he is sick. Please keep us posted and Iā€™ll be praying for him to heal up quickly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I went to see Monty this morning and he is not doing well. He hadn't eaten since being there but he did eat a little for me. Unfortunately, it all came straight back up again. The ultrasound was also inconclusive. They think it may be a hernia obstructing the oesophagus. They said a cat scan will probably be in order but he has to be anaesthetized and they can't do that while he has pneumonia also he is an old bulldog with all the risks that entail. Please pray for my boy, I am so scared for him.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I went to see Monty this morning and he is not doing well. He hadn't eaten since being there but he did eat a little for me. Unfortunately, it all came straight back up again. The ultrasound was also inconclusive. They think it may be a hernia obstructing the oesophagus. They said a cat scan will probably be in order but he has to be anaesthetized and they can't do that while he has pneumonia also he is an old bulldog with all the risks that entail. Please pray for my boy, I am so scared for him.

Praying for your sweet boy... he is a strong bugger and knows his Momma loves him. Hugs to you Pam. I will keep you in my thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online