oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
There may be something to this article but I caution owners to take it with a grain of salt. Since there has been no long term study done, drawing conclusions from a small pool over a 30 day period is hardly responsible. Only 6% of dogs showed symptoms that may or may NOT be attributed to Apoquel. Without question, the author, Deva Khalsa VMD, asserts that the Apoquel caused them. That's simply irresponsible.

The only dog that we have owned that used Apoquel long term was Pippy. She started on it at 7YO and stayed on it for 5 years. She passed a few months ago at 12YO. She had no symptoms that I could definitively attribute to Apoquel. If the taking of Apoquel shortened her life any, IMO, it was precious little...and the 5 years that she took it were night and day more comfortable for her. The only reason that I would opt for this type of med is to improve quality of life...that would otherwise be misery. Even then, when using any long-term medication, owners need to be aware of possible side-effects and diligent in communicating with their Vet, exploring other options, and making sound decisions based on common sense.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
There may be something to this article but I caution owners to take it with a grain of salt. Since there has been no long term study done, drawing conclusions from a small pool over a 30 day period is hardly responsible. Only 6% of dogs showed symptoms that may or may NOT be attributed to Apoquel. Without question, the author, Deva Khalsa VMD, asserts that the Apoquel caused them. That's simply irresponsible.

The only dog that we have owned that used Apoquel long term was Pippy. She started on it at 7YO and stayed on it for 5 years. She passed a few months ago at 12YO. She had no symptoms that I could definitively attribute to Apoquel. If the taking of Apoquel shortened her life any, IMO, it was precious little...and the 5 years that she took it were night and day more comfortable for her. The only reason that I would opt for this type of med is to improve quality of life...that would otherwise be misery. Even then, when using any long-term medication, owners need to be aware of possible side-effects and diligent in communicating with their Vet, exploring other options, and making sound decisions based on common sense.

Jax was on Apoquel for a few years before Cytopoint came out and now he is on that. He is allergic to everything green outside plus dust and everything else environmental. Thankfully he did not show any side effects but like you, it was the only thing that helped with his itching. He would literally scratch himself raw and bleed. I felt so bad for him. I am a firm believer in quality of life and sometimes you have to make the decision of what that entails. Without Apoquel, he would have been absolutely miserable. I am sure in a few years an article will come out about how bad Cytopoint is and then there will be a new drug. Jax will always have to be on some sort of mediation for his allergies and it is what it is.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I found the article was interesting. It works for some n doesn’t for others. At the end of the day, any meds even human meds, it’s the side effects that catches up somehow. Apoquel is a powerful drug guaranteed. I definitely would go with CBD oil first. If my hands were tied, I would maaaaaybe do Cytopoint.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sometimes, you have to go with what works at the time and make adjustments as you see changes good or bad along the way. Not everything works the same for all... which is why I agree with Chip and his thoughts.... small sample is not responsible just like the grain free ‘finding’... giving such little sample of research and causing such havoc and fear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rosco the bulldog

Jan 3, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
My bulldog was on apoquel for 3 years. We just stopped him today at the advice of our oncologist. She thinks it wont hurt him to stay on it but if he can manage without she would prefer it.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Apoquel is a firm no for a dog who had/has lymphoma. When Curly went to the dermatologist about his Calcinosis Cutis, she had asked us if curly was ever on Apoquel (no) and that he cannot take it because it will cause his Lymphoma to come back...

In other words, the is a suspicion that there is a direct link between apoquel and lymphoma.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Apoquel is a firm no for a dog who had/has lymphoma. When Curly went to the dermatologist about his Calcinosis Cutis, she had asked us if curly was ever on Apoquel (no) and that he cannot take it because it will cause his Lymphoma to come back...

In other words, the is a suspicion that there is a direct link between apoquel and lymphoma.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Even if it ”can” be the culprit, why risk. I sure would of went another route like you did. :yes:

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Nico has been on and off Apoquel for about 3 years (he's 6 years old now); in the last year he has been steadly on due to paws and face itching. I hate giving it to him but I would rather he have a quality life.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Nico has been on and off Apoquel for about 3 years (he's 6 years old now); in the last year he has been steadly on due to paws and face itching. I hate giving it to him but I would rather he have a quality life.

I would suggest looking into Cytopoint which is a protein not a chemical. We ended up having the vet give him a Cytopoint injection which helped with the itching. After dealing with lymphoma, I don't even want to go near anything that might cause it in my animals.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

What are you feeding him?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.