Rosie started having seizures today! Help!!!

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
I need your opinions please! I just got back from the vet and Rosie was diagnosed with having partial seizures. Knowing absolutely nothing about seizures I could use all the advice I can get. They drew blood and will call me tomorrow with the results. They are looking for any other condition that might be causing these seizures. She was perfectly fine this morning, then around 10:00am she walked into my bedroom and her head was shaking back and forth uncontrollably. I freaked out and ran over to her to see what was wrong. She was fine, happy, acting normal except for this weird head shake. So I left a message for my vet and was praying that it didn't happen again. Then low and behold, she had two more episodes! They last anywhere from 3 minutes up to 15 minutes. The rest of her body is fine, she can walk, wag her cinnamon bun tail, play with her toys, it is only affecting her head. They gave her some valium and sent us home to sit and wait for their phone call tomorrow:( I carried her stoned bum out to the van, all 70# and she has been fine ever since, although very wobbly. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? I think I saw that some of you have medic-alert tags for your dogs, should I get one? They havent started her on any meds yet (except the valium tonight) because they want to wait for the blood work to get back first. Please let me know what to watch for, expect, any advice is greatly appreciated.:nervous:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh so sorry. I haven't fully finished your post yet but I wanted to mention 3 members that have experience with seizures so that they can provide quick input.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2154]floodjlc[/MENTION]

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Could it be low blood sugar? Next time it happens, try putting peanut butter in her motuh and see what she does.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Poor Rosie!!! Sounds like facial seizures. But like already mentioned there are some members here who will be able to help you more.

Debbie G

Apr 14, 2011
My Bully has experienced "Head Tremors"...they are actually fairly common in Bullies...Treatment for them varies and medication is usually not effective...I chose not to try medications for my dog since having seizures myself I know the medications can be worse sometimes on a daily basis...Some do think it relates to blood sugar and report that giving the dog honey or some sugar source brings them out of it...I have also noticed that some smells do the same...I also came to connect Bella's head tremors with her monthly heartguard dose...I have recently learned that the active ingredient is sometimes known to bring head tremors out in some dogs...We had lessened Bella's dose but next month I am now going to discuss an alternative heartworm preventative...They also relate head tremors to times of stress and anxiety...for me it was more the medication connection and since lessening the dose she has not had another tremor... There's a ton of the web about it but nothing really substantial as far as text-book, just peoples experiences...thankfully it doesn't seem to hurt them and as long as you keep your cool during it they dont stress out about it...It appears like a spasm and they are completely alert, they just cant stop....Try the sugar, it sure cant hurt...but be sure to follow that up with a protein snack just incase it is low blood sugar to level out the glucose level... Hope you figure out your pups trigger like I did...it helps and is a relief :) ~ Debbie

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes [MENTION=2156]Rosiesmom[/MENTION] this sounds like head tremors, also known as idiopathic head tremors. Put in "head tremors" in the English bulldog news search box and you will see all of the discussions about it. I believe [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has quite a few videos on seizures too so you can see the difference. I am glad the vet is running blood tests, however I am also dissapointed they did not bring this up. A siezure the body also stiffens from my experience with the one Mandy had after licking a toad-- and from watching libras videos.

Hugs!!!!!

OP
Rosiesmom

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
My Bully has experienced "Head Tremors"...they are actually fairly common in Bullies...Treatment for them varies and medication is usually not effective...I chose not to try medications for my dog since having seizures myself I know the medications can be worse sometimes on a daily basis...Some do think it relates to blood sugar and report that giving the dog honey or some sugar source brings them out of it...I have also noticed that some smells do the same...I also came to connect Bella's head tremors with her monthly heartguard dose...I have recently learned that the active ingredient is sometimes known to bring head tremors out in some dogs...We had lessened Bella's dose but next month I am now going to discuss an alternative heartworm preventative...They also relate head tremors to times of stress and anxiety...for me it was more the medication connection and since lessening the dose she has not had another tremor... There's a ton of the web about it but nothing really substantial as far as text-book, just peoples experiences...thankfully it doesn't seem to hurt them and as long as you keep your cool during it they dont stress out about it...It appears like a spasm and they are completely alert, they just cant stop....Try the sugar, it sure cant hurt...but be sure to follow that up with a protein snack just incase it is low blood sugar to level out the glucose level... Hope you figure out your pups trigger like I did...it helps and is a relief :) ~ Debbie
Wow, I've never heard of that before! Would have been nice if the vet would have mentioned this! You helped ease my mind, thankyou so much. I'm going to try the sugar idea, can't do any harm and she will love me for it! And I'm with you, I'm really against medicine (for my kids or my fur-kids) so if some of the ideas on here help her I will be delighted. I hate doping up my kids (Rosie included) if it's not absolutely MEDICALLY necessary. I tried to keep my cool while she trembling, but as soon as I got to the vets office I lost it. I hate the thought that something is wrong with my buddy. But she's perfectly happy, acts like nothing is wrong.....she just can't quit shaking her head "No" at me! Thanks for your advice!!!

OP
Rosiesmom

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes [MENTION=2156]Rosiesmom[/MENTION] this sounds like head tremors, also known as idiopathic head tremors. Put in "head tremors" in the English bulldog news search box and you will see all of the discussions about it. I believe [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has quite a few videos on seizures too so you can see the difference. I am glad the vet is running blood tests, however I am also dissapointed they did not bring this up. A siezure the body also stiffens from my experience with the one Mandy had after licking a toad-- and from watching libras videos.

Hugs!!!!!
Reading up on this site I'm beginning to get VERY disappointed that they did not bring this up! I told my husband from the first one this morning, that I didn't think it was a 'seizure'. The rest of her body was fine, she was still walking and chasing her toy. And when I said her name she would stop shaking for a second or two and look at me, then it would start back up. I told him that I didn't think true seizures presented themselves that way. And the vet saw her shaking her head, she saw it firsthand. I think I'm going to have a talk with her about this tomorrow when she calls me. I hate that the poor thing got doped up on Valium when in retrospect she probably didn't even need it. And my aching back from carrying that 70# chunk to the van-all the while getting licked all over my face (she was trying to make her mom smile and it worked). I just hate it when something is wrong with one of my animals because they can't tell you what is going on/whats hurting, I just want to protect them and make them all better. That's the mom coming out in me!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
yes i know of two bullies who have had there head shake like that, it happened to them when they were about to fall a sleep. they gave them cheese and try to get them to focus on the food and they come right out of it. good luck!

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Princess actually gets them occasionally. I have only had her for about 3 years, she is probably about 8 now? But the first month I had her I noticed her head shaking back and forth really fast...and I freaked out. I thought it was a siezure as well. But it wasn't ! It was just a head tremor. She isn't on any medication for it. We just have to re-direct her. All I say is "do you want a treat?" And her head will immediately stop shaking. That "Treat" word really snaps her out of it! It works everytime. Try to re-direct her!!

Hope this helps! Erika and Princess:heart:

floodjlc

Apr 3, 2011
Winston started having seizures at about 8 months old. I did not see the initial seizures but he was acting blind. The vet was not sure what happened except for that all of the sudden he seamed blind. I was so upset. The next day he could see again and was fine. Then I saw him have one. He started drooling from his mouth and his head and face was twitching. We rushed him to the vet and they said he was having seizures and gave us some meds to help them stop. We got home and an hour later they started again but would not stop. They said we had to rush him to the vet hospital where they loaded him up on phenobarbital so he would stop. Ever since then he has been on phenobarbital and potassium bromide. I was actually just discussing with my wife we may try to get him slowly off potassium bromide since he has not had a seizure in months and did not get them often anyway.

My advice to you is keep an eye on her. You do not want the seizures to go on for too long or she can suffer brain damage. If Winston does have one we have some meds the vet gave us to calm him down so he wont continue having them. When she does have a seizure try to keep her calm. I usually try to hold Winston or talk very softly to him but I wont let him wander because he goes temporarily blind. Another thing we try to do is keep Winston on a strict schedule and very calm. Not calm where he cant run and play but calm as in NO STRESS. I feel that when he gets stressed is when he will have a seizure. So we keep him on a strict routine as much as possible.....give him his food at the same time, goes to bed at the same time etc. Eventually you may even be able to tell when he is about to have an episode so you can be prepared to be around. Winston kind of tells me if he is gonna have one. He will start acting very very needy. He will be stuck to me like glue, I will be walking and he will literally be touching my leg walking as I am. And when he acts like this he will usually have a seizure that day or the next.

My wife and I were so upset at first but we have learned to live with it and we don't stress over it anymore. I don't worry about it anymore like I used to (dogs can tell when your stressed and it wont help their stress levels). Now its get him up give him his meds and hes off. Nothing to it anymore. Don't worry too much about it, its a common thing in dogs. I am sure your bully will be fine. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=2156]Rosiesmom[/MENTION] My first concern when reading your post was......70#!!! What a big girl you have. I think they are also head tremors. Which, although scary, is fairly common in an English bulldog. Bulldogs metabolize their food fairly quickly and it can cause hypoglycemia aka low blood sugar. Keep a camera handy. Next time she starts...get it on video. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] has video of her bulldog having head tremors. Both Vegas and Winston have epilepsy. I have video of Vegas's...but it is very hard to watch. There are certain things that differ between this type of seizure and the head tremors. 1)there are pre-seizure symptoms...like fly-chasing or turning in circles. Although during this stage, they can hear you..the brain is firing off all this electricity, they are almost in a incoherent state. 2)the seizure..which does not stop by distracting them. They are completely UNAWARE of what is going on...but their whole body is involved. They are unable (and keep in mind I'm going by my experience alone) to walk around or interact. Sometimes during a seizure..they loose bowl control or urinate. (thankfully this hasn't happened since the start of 2009 with Vegas) The seizure can last up to 3 minutes...with several minutes afterwards to recover. 3)the postictal stage. With Vegas, he might pace. His brain is still firing electricity and he might wander or pace for hours. Sometimes the seizure is over and 10 minutes later he is already curled up in bed fast asleep. Sometimes he is blind and walks straight into stuff. Our vet says he thinks it's more "confused" than "blind". During this stage, you can distract him. I often give him a treat ball that he can focus on and chase around the room.

YouTube - Bulldog seizure
YouTube - Bulldog epilepsy. Focal Facial seizure.
YouTube - An hour after....recovering.
These can be hard to watch..but I want you to see how they can differ.

From what you've told me, I really think Rosie is experiencing head tremors and nothing else. For this, valium is not the answer, but food is. I'm not the person to give advice on the head tremor part and the stuff that might work for it. But the others will be.

Vegas, like Winston..is on twice daily dosing of phenobarbital and potassium bromide. I would really like to get Vegas of the phenobarbital...since that can cause liver damage. We've tried, but the seizures get worse.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I honestly think you are dealing with something that is pretty common. I think you will be fine and I know Rosie will be fine. Muah!

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

everyone I would have mentioned has already arrived..I have no experience with this atall but you will get plenty of help and advise.
:hug2: for you and Rosie xx

OP
Rosiesmom

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2156]Rosiesmom[/MENTION] My first concern when reading your post was......70#!!! What a big girl you have. I think they are also head tremors. Which, although scary, is fairly common in an English bulldog. Bulldogs metabolize their food fairly quickly and it can cause hypoglycemia aka low blood sugar. Keep a camera handy. Next time she starts...get it on video. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] has video of her bulldog having head tremors. Both Vegas and Winston have epilepsy. I have video of Vegas's...but it is very hard to watch. There are certain things that differ between this type of seizure and the head tremors. 1)there are pre-seizure symptoms...like fly-chasing or turning in circles. Although during this stage, they can hear you..the brain is firing off all this electricity, they are almost in a incoherent state. 2)the seizure..which does not stop by distracting them. They are completely UNAWARE of what is going on...but their whole body is involved. They are unable (and keep in mind I'm going by my experience alone) to walk around or interact. Sometimes during a seizure..they loose bowl control or urinate. (thankfully this hasn't happened since the start of 2009 with Vegas) The seizure can last up to 3 minutes...with several minutes afterwards to recover. 3)the postictal stage. With Vegas, he might pace. His brain is still firing electricity and he might wander or pace for hours. Sometimes the seizure is over and 10 minutes later he is already curled up in bed fast asleep. Sometimes he is blind and walks straight into stuff. Our vet says he thinks it's more "confused" than "blind". During this stage, you can distract him. I often give him a treat ball that he can focus on and chase around the room.

YouTube - Bulldog seizure
YouTube - Bulldog epilepsy. Focal Facial seizure.
YouTube - An hour after....recovering.
These can be hard to watch..but I want you to see how they can differ.

From what you've told me, I really think Rosie is experiencing head tremors and nothing else. For this, valium is not the answer, but food is. I'm not the person to give advice on the head tremor part and the stuff that might work for it. But the others will be.

Vegas, like Winston..is on twice daily dosing of phenobarbital and potassium bromide. I would really like to get Vegas of the phenobarbital...since that can cause liver damage. We've tried, but the seizures get worse.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I honestly think you are dealing with something that is pretty common. I think you will be fine and I know Rosie will be fine. Muah!
OMG I am so glad you warned be about those videos. I just cried all my eye makeup off. God bless you for being such a good mommy and taking care of him. I just want to hug Vegas! He doesn't deserve to go have to go through all of that. Breaks my heart:*( After watching your videos I am positive that you and the others on here are right, she is not having a seizure. Her episodes looked NOTHING like poor Vegas (or the others that I watched on there). I can not wait to talk to the vet today about all of this. Thankyou so much for you advice. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!!:hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online