Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rosie started having seizures today! Help!!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

What is the feeding schedule? If you feed once a day, perhaps do it twice. If you do it twice, maybe try 3 times? This may make the blood sugar levels more stable.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rosie started having seizures today! Help!!!

Like everyone has said they definitely sound like head tremors. I was hysterical when Samson had his first one but lucky for me when I called my vet they knew what I was talking about and said they were head tremors. The vet told me he was fine but to be concerned if it started affecting his entire body or seemed to worsen but it never did. Just ever effects his head like he is shaking his head no, he can give kisses, walk, jump, give me the paw, everything, his head is just shaking. I still scheduled an appointment after the first episode and had a thorough exam done, blood testing, parasite testing, the whole deal but he was perfectly healthy and that put my mind at ease. Now this is a heavily debated subject as to what causes them, from my own personal experiences I don't feel that this is a blood sugar issue, just my opinion though. So now when Samson gets one I just let it run it's course and it always happens for a minute or so then stops.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with what @TessaAndSamson said .. with Maggie it's not blood sugar levels. It's when she gets over stimulated - it was the same for @KMARINO.

I guess the trick is to find out what seems to "trigger" it if you can, and then avoid that. If there seems to be no trigger, then I would just stay calm whilst it happens and try to re-direct their attention on to something else. For some reason that often snaps them out of it.

Real Name
    Kim W
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    What is the feeding schedule? If you feed once a day, perhaps do it twice. If you do it twice, maybe try 3 times? This may make the blood sugar levels more stable.
    My husband feeds her at 6:00 am and I feed her around 6:00 pm. If I feed her three times, I should probably cut down on the amount right? She's 70# but she's not fat. Shes just very solid.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." President Abraham Lincoln

Kim<3

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

It's very scary the first time they have head tremors. Our first bully Cass had them and I rushed her to the vet..they wanted to give her epilepsy meds. I ran across another bully forum and it was pretty common for them to have low blood sugar and get head tremors. I would give Cass a half a granola bar and they would go away. My vet knew nothing about low blood sugar in bullies. Hope your baby is ok and all it is is low blood sugar. Better to be safe than sorry .
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Bulldog(s) Names
    samson
    Likes (Received)

my dog samson just had a full out seizure at 2;30pm to day on his bak legs up stiff as a board. i thought he was choking and about to die. i held him wile he just stared up at me then wile i was feeling his neck for something jamed in their he just went bak to normal. lasted about 4 min. he was off balance at first now he is just fine. hes 3 and has never had this happen. hope he will not do it again.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@garrett Go back to post #13 on here which is the post by @Libra926 where she has posted her Youtube videos of Vegas. He has epilepsy and you can compare those type of sezures to what happened to Samson.

However, I have heard of bullys who all of a sudden just collapse, legs as stiff as a board and then after a few mins he's back to normal. Almost as if they black out. I just wish I could remember which of the members had bullys who did that. Sorry I can't be of more help to you!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    my dog samson just had a full out seizure at 2;30pm to day on his bak legs up stiff as a board. i thought he was choking and about to die. i held him wile he just stared up at me then wile i was feeling his neck for something jamed in their he just went bak to normal. lasted about 4 min. he was off balance at first now he is just fine. hes 3 and has never had this happen. hope he will not do it again.
    @Libra926
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@garrett

Did anything out of normal happen before this episode? When Samson tipped over....was there any head shaking and mouth foaming? Those are also common during a grand mal seizure.

My youngest bulldog Orion started heaving. The stomach was rolling and after about 45 seconds, she finally threw up. After which, she fell over stiff as a board. She passed out from lack of oxygen. Once she passed out, she was good again.
    But lasting 4 minutes...I would definitely be concerned. Keep your camera handy and fully charged. If this starts to happen again, video it. I can't express the importance of video enough. It is so much easier to show what actually happens then try to explain what happened.

A 4 minute episode is very scary. I thought Vegas was dying when he had his first seizure. It's the worst feeling in the world. If it happens again...take measures to get Samson checked out. If it turns out to be idiopathic epilepsy...it's treatable. We've been dealing with it for 4 years. We still haven't found the right medication for Vegas...but he is a happy happy boy. 99% of the time...he's a normal goofy bulldog. Once every 4 to 6 weeks...he has a seizure. But after a few minutes...he is up walking again. Please keep us up to date. If you have any questions for me....please ask.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads