Help Needed! Is this a yeast infection due to an allergy?

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello I have a 14 month old EBD named Bella. I noticed on Saturday night that she had been scratching her face and licking her paws. At first I thought that maybe she had scratched herself too hard that caused fold to get red. The following day I noticed the fold a little swollen and still red. However today it looks moist and brownish. I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning to take her in to see the vet. I was told to give her benadryl for now. She hasn't had anything new therefore I thought it was just a scratch but the way it's looking I no longer think it's a scratch. Here are pics.

Attachments

• 20191130_174323.jpg
    20191130_174323.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 20191202_075237.jpg
    20191202_075237.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 304
  • 20191202_075447.jpg
    20191202_075447.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 314

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello I have a 14 month old EBD named Bella. I noticed on Saturday night that she had been scratching her face and licking her paws. At first I thought that maybe she had scratched herself too hard that caused fold to get red. The following day I noticed the fold a little swollen and still red. However today it looks moist and brownish. I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning to take her in to see the vet. I was told to give her benadryl for now. She hasn't had anything new therefore I thought it was just a scratch but the way it's looking I no longer think it's a scratch. Here are pics.

Looks like the beginning of a hotspot...
what food and protein are you feeding? Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Looks like the beginning of a hotspot...
what food and protein are you feeding? Where are you located?

Hello. I'm feeding Bella Fromm (fish & potatoes)
We're located in CC, Tx.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello. I'm feeding Bella Fromm (fish & potatoes)
We're located in CC, Tx.

White potatoes can feed yeast issues, you may want to go to a Fromm flavor without white potatoes or where they are not in the top ten ingredient.

Keep the area clean and dry it will help

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you, will do. Just leaving vet's office. He prescribed Simplicef 100mg, Apoquel 16mg, and Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% ps pads. Hope this works and makes her feel better.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That will clear it up... Duoxo pads are good for keep folds clean and drt

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The first photo looks like irritation n if not cleaned probably it will turn to yeast. Folds needs to be clean daily but especially dry properly. I use bag balm but you can also use coconut oil or colloidal silver .

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The first photo looks like irritation n if not cleaned probably it will turn to yeast. Folds needs to be clean daily but especially dry properly. I use bag balm but you can also use coconut oil or colloidal silver .

I hope it clears it up. I took a pic of her face outside to get a better look. The puss is what worries me. The vet said to give her the medications and that bulldogs are prone to allergies. Therefore we may want to have her get injections for allergies every couple of months. I disagree with starting her on injections. She's never had any issues before other than hives in the beginning of the year but we have switched her food since then. Does anyone know of a vet that is familiar with bulldogs here in CC, Tx?20191203_114835.jpg

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope it clears it up. I took a pic of her face outside to get a better look. The puss is what worries me. The vet said to give her the medications and that bulldogs are prone to allergies. Therefore we may want to have her get injections for allergies every couple of months. I disagree with starting her on injections. She's never had any issues before other than hives in the beginning of the year but we have switched her food since then. Does anyone know of a vet that is familiar with bulldogs here in CC, Tx?View attachment 118007

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Texas vets???

Now from this photo we see a lot better. Absolutely needs to be cleaned n dry. At that amount of pus not once or twice a day but probably 4x a day. Thatā€™s not an allergy, thatā€™s an infection n looks like what Christine mentioned a hot spot. Be very careful with Simplicef n Apoquel. Horrible side effects. If youā€™re intending giving them meds you need to also feed your dog a high quality of probiotics. Those meds will also kill all the good bacteria needed in the gut. Btw apoquel under the age of 12 months old is not recommended... I know yours is 14months old but thatā€™s just 2 extra months. Itā€™s a hot spot itā€™s curable even without meds.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/apoquel/index.aspx

If you want 90% less skin issues, feed raw. Extremely rare youā€™ll find a dog that eats raw with yeast infection or skin issues. Allergies can happen but I personally would NOT give any shots till you have tried feeding raw. Thatā€™s my 2 cents on allergies.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope it clears it up. I took a pic of her face outside to get a better look. The puss is what worries me. The vet said to give her the medications and that bulldogs are prone to allergies. Therefore we may want to have her get injections for allergies every couple of months. I disagree with starting her on injections. She's never had any issues before other than hives in the beginning of the year but we have switched her food since then. Does anyone know of a vet that is familiar with bulldogs here in CC, Tx?View attachment 118007

That is a hotspot.... needs to be cleaned out and shave some of the fur off if you can, fur traps the dirt and adds to the issues. I canā€™t believe the vet didnā€™t clean it out for you. :(. Use a warm (not hot) wash cloth and dig all the gunk out , shave as much of the fur as you can since it is a tight spot, and then use the Duoxo pads to clean and help it dry out... then use the pads twice a day to maintain.

Let me check the list for vets in Texas, not sure if any are in Corpus Cristi.

Shots... they did not work for our boy, we went raw and Cytopint shot every eight weeks. Lambeau is allergic to a lot, everything green, weeds, grass, tress, corn, soy, lamb, salmon.

We did a full panel blood test, not 100% accurate but gives a great baseline to help with elimination. Since you started Apoquel, you need to wait 30 days after last dose to do that test if you choose to. Wipe his face, paws and belly after each time he comes in from outside, it helps lessen environmental impact, doesnā€™t stop it, but wiping gets the allergens off the fur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is the List of member recommended vets for Texas, no Cc, but maybe one isnā€™t too far??

~TEXAS~

Animal Health & Medical Center
Dr. Allen J. Bolt
Abilene, TX 79608
325-695-7140

Radford Hills Animal Clinic
Dr. Mark Leavell
Abilene, TX
325-672-3090

Brittmore Animal Hospital
Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt
Houston, Texas
713-468-8253

Dr. Kirk Esmond
Josey Ranch Pet Hospital
2150 North Josey Lane, Ste 106
Carrollton, Texas 75006

Critter Care Animal Hospital
Amna Plummer, DVM
13040 Dairy Ashford
Sugar Land, TX 77478
281-494-7700
Critter Care Animal Hospital ā€“ Critter Care Animal Hospital

Dr. Scot Sunbury
Sunbury Vet Clinic
12407 North Mopac Expressway , Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78758
512-255-8387

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Now from this photo we see a lot better. Absolutely needs to be cleaned n dry. At that amount of pus not once or twice a day but probably 4x a day. Thatā€™s not an allergy, thatā€™s an infection n looks like what Christine mentioned a hot spot. Be very careful with Simplicef n Apoquel. Horrible side effects. If youā€™re intending giving them meds you need to also feed your dog a high quality of probiotics. Those meds will also kill all the good bacteria needed in the gut. Btw apoquel under the age of 12 months old is not recommended... I know yours is 14months old but thatā€™s just 2 extra months. Itā€™s a hot spot itā€™s curable even without meds.

If you want 90% less skin issues, feed raw. Extremely rare youā€™ll find a dog that eats raw with yeast infection or skin issues. Allergies can happen but I personally would NOT give any shots till you have tried feeding raw. Thatā€™s my 2 cents on allergies.

I'm worried now because I started her on meds this morning. Should I continue them? I agree, you would think after a $230 vet bill they would of cleaned it out. I got the impression that the vet nor his assistant weren't too fond of her, nor the breed. Bella loves attention and she didn't get any from them at all. At one point while the vet was rambling on about the problems that come with having a bulldog Bella decided to pass gas, not once but twice. LOL So what would you consider a high quality of probiotics? I currently feed her a tbsp of yogurt with her 2 meals and also give her Gentle Digest probiotic chews (3) on the daily.

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Here is the List of member recommended vets for Texas, no Cc, but maybe one isnā€™t too far??

~TEXAS~

Animal Health & Medical Center
Dr. Allen J. Bolt
Abilene, TX 79608
325-695-7140

Radford Hills Animal Clinic
Dr. Mark Leavell
Abilene, TX
325-672-3090

Brittmore Animal Hospital
Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt
Houston, Texas
713-468-8253

Dr. Kirk Esmond
Josey Ranch Pet Hospital
2150 North Josey Lane, Ste 106
Carrollton, Texas 75006

Critter Care Animal Hospital
Amna Plummer, DVM
13040 Dairy Ashford
Sugar Land, TX 77478
281-494-7700
Critter Care Animal Hospital ā€“ Critter Care Animal Hospital

Dr. Scot Sunbury
Sunbury Vet Clinic
12407 North Mopac Expressway , Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78758
512-255-8387

Thank you but those are a few hours away from my location. I appreciate your help.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm worried now because I started her on meds this morning. Should I continue them? I agree, you would think after a $230 vet bill they would of cleaned it out. I got the impression that the vet nor his assistant weren't too fond of her, nor the breed. Bella loves attention and she didn't get any from them at all. At one point while the vet was rambling on about the problems that come with having a bulldog Bella decided to pass gas, not once but twice. LOL So what would you consider a high quality of probiotics? I currently feed her a tbsp of yogurt with her 2 meals and also give her Gentle Digest probiotic chews (3) on the daily.

I got the impression?? Like Christine said, surprise the vet didnā€™t clean the pus, says a lot about that vet. Your ā€œimpressionā€ said it all. If theyā€™re not to keen of the breed probably means they have no clue what to do with that breed n why bella didnā€™t get any attention. :(. At the price these vets charge, my dogs better get 200% of attention :)

Regarding the probiotics, I only use fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as toppers. These 2 food groups are very high in probiotics plus itā€™s fermented. Again thatā€™s me as Iā€™m more on the holistic side. Yogurt needs to be the plain Greek yogurt full fat. Not zero fat or no sugars as those are full of hidden sugars.

What exactly is Bella eating as kibbles n treats?

I know $230 is a lot of money but like mentioned above, hot spots are treatable without meds. IF it was my 2 dogs, treat the hotspot naturally as itā€™s just a hot spot. Christine mentioned how to clean it. Cleaning needs to be consistent not once a day. 3-4x a day. If youā€™re giving those meds, basically it wonā€™t tell you what allergies she has. Better putting money on a bloodwork like mentioned. At least youā€™ll know how to treat/guide her properly towards a healthier dog.

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I got the impression?? Like Christine said, surprise the vet didnā€™t clean the pus, says a lot about that vet. Your ā€œimpressionā€ said it all. If theyā€™re not to keen of the breed probably means they have no clue what to do with that breed n why bella didnā€™t get any attention. :(. At the price these vets charge, my dogs better get 200% of attention :)

Regarding the probiotics, I only use fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as toppers. These 2 food groups are very high in probiotics plus itā€™s fermented. Again thatā€™s me as Iā€™m more on the holistic side. Yogurt needs to be the plain Greek yogurt full fat. Not zero fat or no sugars as those are full of hidden sugars.

What exactly is Bella eating as kibbles n treats?

I know $230 is a lot of money but like mentioned above, hot spots are treatable without meds. IF it was my 2 dogs, treat the hotspot naturally as itā€™s just a hot spot. Christine mentioned how to clean it. Cleaning needs to be consistent not once a day. 3-4x a day. If youā€™re giving those meds, basically it wonā€™t tell you what allergies she has. Better putting money on a bloodwork like mentioned. At least youā€™ll know how to treat/guide her properly towards a healthier dog.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into getting bloodwork done. I'll have to try those probiotic toppers. I give Bella Chobani Greek yogurt whole milk plain. I give her Fromm kibble and change out flavors. For snacks I give her veggies, fruit, or Acana lamb & apple treats. I'll also add a tbsp of olive oil & coconut oil to her kibble as well and apple cider with her water. I will clean her up with a warm towel and use the pads after. Thank you for all your advice, Bella and I appreciate it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.