Entropion treatment without surgery?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop was diagnosed with entropion a couple of years ago, at age 7. Daily treatment with Genteel Eyes was helpful. In the last week, he has been dragging his face on the carpet, both eyes are squinting, tearing and gooey in the mornings. He has become combative if I try to exam his eyes. Porkchop, now almost 10 yrs old, is too old for surgery. Are there other treatments available? I plan to take him to the vet next week so it would be nice to know if there are other options that have worked for any of you. Thanks!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have not heard of any treatment other than surgery, if his eyelashes are irritating his eyes except sometimes they do pluck them-which is not permanent.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor was scheduled for surgery two years or so ago but we decided against it. One thing that made us reconsider was the success of the plucking of eyelashes. The vet used a pair of tweezers and removed eyelashes with a steady hand while Castor was just sitting there, looking at her. Amazing to see. He probably could need another session with that vet but so far he has no major problems. If you have a really skilled eye vet who can do this I would recommend that as it doesn't involve any meds or sedation. The only thing as far as I understand is that the vet has a steady hand and that the dog sits still.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can get the eyelashes permanently removed by cryotherapy, like Chip did. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The cryo worked great for MINI, but she was being treated for distichia...similar to but not the same as entropion. With distichia, certain lashes grow towards the eye. With entropion the eyelid(and all lashes) turn inward. Both abnormalities can cause the same symptoms. Cryo still requires GA/intubation... that being the risk for an older dog.
We have treated numerous dogs over the age of 10 and I do not recall any noteworthy incidences...but I will never say thereā€™s not more risk with an older patient. At some point, quality of life has to be considered. This is a tough decision. Pork chop does appear to be fit...which is in his favor, surgery-wise.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I will inquire about eyelash plucking. Porkchop has had surgery twice before, neuter and nose repair, and had no problems. But I am reluctant to do that due to his age and my finances. Other steps I am taking while waiting for vet appointment- ruling out sensitivity to all of the dust and such blowing about as the leaves are now falling, so he started on Benadryl yesterday. (We live in a heavily wooded area.) It is also dry in the house with the heat on so I am running a steam humidifier starting this morning. I don't know if those two things will make a difference but no harm in trying.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will inquire about eyelash plucking. Porkchop has had surgery twice before, neuter and nose repair, and had no problems. But I am reluctant to do that due to his age and my finances. Other steps I am taking while waiting for vet appointment- ruling out sensitivity to all of the dust and such blowing about as the leaves are now falling, so he started on Benadryl yesterday. (We live in a heavily wooded area.) It is also dry in the house with the heat on so I am running a steam humidifier starting this morning. I don't know if those two things will make a difference but no harm in trying.

Hoping these things help... keep us posted on the outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop saw the vet this morning. His eyes are still gooey and barely opened them Vet said she didnā€™t see significant entropion. The stain test for scratches was negative, the Schirmer test for tears was good (no dry eye) and glaucoma test was negative. An antibiotic ointment was prescribed to see if that helps. The conjunctiva in right eye was bright pink and seemed swollen. His breath has gotten really nasty over the last few days. Vet said his gums have grown over teeth in the back, not just his front bottom teeth. She noted some irritation in his cheeks so she thought maybe he was accidentally biting them when chewing. So no diagnosis, just pinch hitting right now. When she numbed his eyes, he did open them after a few minutes. But that mustā€™ve worn off after an hour because he squinted again. Heā€™ll have a follow up next week.

On a similar topic of overgrown gums, I told her my SIL, a dental hygienist, said overgrown gums are seen in mouth breathers, snorers. Well, thatā€™s Pork. My vet said that she sees this mostly in bulldogs and boxers but said she wasnā€™t aware of any animal studies that would link mouth breathing with overgrown gums. Maybe a vet school should do a study!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Porkchop saw the vet this morning. His eyes are still gooey and barely opened them Vet said she didnā€™t see significant entropion. The stain test for scratches was negative, the Schirmer test for tears was good (no dry eye) and glaucoma test was negative. An antibiotic ointment was prescribed to see if that helps. The conjunctiva in right eye was bright pink and seemed swollen. His breath has gotten really nasty over the last few days. Vet said his gums have grown over teeth in the back, not just his front bottom teeth. She noted some irritation in his cheeks so she thought maybe he was accidentally biting them when chewing. So no diagnosis, just pinch hitting right now. When she numbed his eyes, he did open them after a few minutes. But that mustā€™ve worn off after an hour because he squinted again. Heā€™ll have a follow up next week.

On a similar topic of overgrown gums, I told her my SIL, a dental hygienist, said overgrown gums are seen in mouth breathers, snorers. Well, thatā€™s Pork. My vet said that she sees this mostly in bulldogs and boxers but said she wasnā€™t aware of any animal studies that would link mouth breathing with overgrown gums. Maybe a vet school should do a study!

Hoping the ointment does the trick....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.