Help Needed! My Bulldog keeps getting hives then her face swells. PLEASE HELP

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Frustrating indeed... My trip to the vet was pretty much worthless except to empty my wallet. He has no idea what it can be he mentioned putting her on a special food (Ultamino) although he really dosen't think it's food related. He also mentioned giving her an allergy med called Apoquel. I asked about an allergy test but he thought the where pretty much worthless as she would just end up on the med anyway. I think i'm just going to start giving her 25mg twice a day although he wants me to give he a full dose of 50mg of Benadryl twice a day to see if that helps.

Please, whatever you do, donā€™t put your dog on Ultamino. Itā€™s ALL crap. Hereā€™s the ingredients below...

Starts with corn starch n by-product. By products are leftover NON inspected diseased animal parts. You want to get rid of a lot of issues? Get your dog on raw. Youā€™re going to see a lot of health issues disappear and seeing less of a vet. More money in your wallet!

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/animal-by-products/

Corn starch, hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate, coconut oil, vegetable oil, potassium phosphate, natural flavors, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, sodium silico aluminate, dried chicory root, L-tyrosine, fructooligosaccharides, fish oil, choline chloride, L-lysine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate ( ...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
"where pretty much worthless as she would just end up on the med anyway."
Only an ignorant/uninformed Vet would utter those words. I recommend that you get your dog allergy tested. It will be costly but you will get definitive answers. Allergy shots may follow and done diligently, can provide long lasting relief.

Read up here...

If needed, we usually opt for the blood testing for our rescues because it CAN also determine if there are food allergies

https://www.thedrakecenter.com/services/dogs/dog-allergies

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™d be looking for a new vet... to admit you donā€™t know what is going on, then say allergy testing is worthless.. here is a drug- just pisses me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kxeddie

Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexi
Just a little update on Lexi. It seems we have this under control we haven't had any problems since I started this thread. I have her on 25mg of Benadryl twice a day stopped giving her the treats we had and pulled her cage away from the wall incase she was getting bitten by bugs. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and then i'll stop the Benadryl. thanks to everyone for the advise.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just a little update on Lexi. It seems we have this under control we haven't had any problems since I started this thread. I have her on 25mg of Benadryl twice a day stopped giving her the treats we had and pulled her cage away from the wall incase she was getting bitten by bugs. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and then i'll stop the Benadryl. thanks to everyone for the advise.

Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online