Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Bulldog keeps getting hives then her face swells. PLEASE HELP

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Bulldog keeps getting hives then her face swells. PLEASE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by kxeddie View Post
    I don't have the bag for the ones she is eating now but i think it was the bacon and cheese here are the ingredients Pea Flour, Tapioca Starch, Chickpeas, Bacon, Dried Cheese, Ground Flaxseed, Potatoes, Natural Smoke Flavor, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative).
    Poor Lexi. Can it be the peas in the biscuits? Dogs can be allergic to peas.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Ed
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lexi
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the recommendations. I took her Sorresto color off 2 weeks ago and never put it back on. As for the raw diet I have been also giving her raw goats milk. I would agree with all raw if it was a constant problem but this only happens once a week.

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have never heard of giving a bath in Purex, but that's me. As suggested, Get a food with one protein and start there. There could also be some kind of knats outside in the grass, and they would likely get her face,neck, and chest. There are also little bees here that you can hardly notice. Peas and potatoes are also and allergen to some. As for treats, get some with less ingridients. Was her beds and blankets in hypo-allergenic soaps, and give benedryl as soon as you see any sign of welts. 1 per 25 lbs.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Ed
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lexi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    I have never heard of giving a bath in Purex, but that's me. As suggested, Get a food with one protein and start there. There could also be some kind of knats outside in the grass, and they would likely get her face,neck, and chest. There are also little bees here that you can hardly notice. Peas and potatoes are also and allergen to some. As for treats, get some with less ingridients. Was her beds and blankets in hypo-allergenic soaps, and give benedryl as soon as you see any sign of welts. 1 per 25 lbs.
    I washed her bedding in Purex not Lexi. Her food is a single protein pork

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

I washed her bedding in Purex not Lexi. Her food is a single protein pork
    What do you mean by “ only happens one a week?”

Real Name
    Ed
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lexi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    What do you mean by “ only happens one a week?”
    Only happens once a week. Sorry typing on cellphone

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have the bag for the ones she is eating now but i think it was the bacon and cheese here are the ingredients Pea Flour, Tapioca Starch, Chickpeas, Bacon, Dried Cheese, Ground Flaxseed, Potatoes, Natural Smoke Flavor, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative).
    I’m in the food industry and when ever you see “natural smoked flavour” .......well, liquid smoke = carcinogens.. Even the words “natural flavours” it’s chemicals. Just make sure you read all ingredients as all you need is that one ingredient will cause issues for her.

11. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

As stated, it will be a process of elimination to figure out the allergy. A few months ago, Louie kept breaking out in hives all over his body for a couple of weeks. He sleeps in the bed with us and they always seemed to go away over night and then the next day they would be back so I thought it was something downstairs or outside. We mowed the lawn and whacked the weeds, I washed all of the blankets and bedding, cleaned the carpet (twice), fed all kibble for a few days, fed all raw for a few days. It might have been the raw rabbit although he had eaten it plenty of times before. The hives just went away and have not returned so I am not 100% sure the cause. He has gotten rabbit treats but not rabbit for a meal yet.

Country
    Uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley
    Likes (Received)

All i can do is echo what has already been said, Dudley has had plenty of problems in the past and you really do have to be extremely strict with the diet so you can eliminate each individual ingredient until you find a trigger.
    Dudley gets hives in the summer ever time he runs in long grass and he definitely had a reaction to household chemicals such as air freshener and the washing liquid we had, now all the cleaning products in the house have switched to natural products and he hasn’t had any flares ups for months.
    Check out our Fur Baby shop Lots of Bulldog gifts and hopefully lots more to come!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MyFurBabyShop

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Only happens once a week. Sorry typing on cellphone

a y update?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

15. Likes helsonwheels, Dollys Owner liked this post
    Real Name
    Ed
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lexi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    a y update?
    The weekend only streak has been broken. Lexi had hives allover her body this morning (Thursday). I'm going to call the vet and see about an allergy test. there has to be something in her room where I keep her cage as it happens only in the morning.

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everything posted before. I would say Lexi is a highly allergic dog and it could either be something in the food, something in that room, or something outside. I would put her on frozen raw, switch to natural cleaning products, start her on cetirizine 10mg twice daily, wipe her paws and belly down with an unscented baby wipe every time she goes outside, steam clean her cage and room thoroughly or move her cage to a different room, and hopefully that will solve your problem. There's no reliable way to test for food allergies other than an elimination diet, although lots of members here have had some success with a blood test for allergies. And for environmental allergies the gold standard is skin testing by an allergist which is quite expensive. So if you do get the vet to do a blood test for allergies it may not be very accurate. And try starting her on some fish oil once things settle down and if she tolerates it then continue it as that is good for allergies as well. I used to give my allergic dog coconut oil, but she was gaining a lot of weight, so I stopped that, but I still continue the fish oil ( and vitamin e once a week since fish oil depletes vitamin e). I also give her frozen smelt from the supermarket as a treat since her frozen raw food diet has no fish.

And definitely stop giving those treats. The only treats I give are natural- fruits and vegetables, frozen smelt and freeze dried beef liver treats from Costco.

If you don't switch to frozen raw make sure you freeze her kibble to avoid mites, and only buy it in bags you can use up in a month. And make sure you add probiotics since you won't be getting the bacteria in the frozen raw.

19. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads