ok guys day # 4 and still no poopie?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
for those of you that followed my story about Duke.. he passed the toy on Saturday.. has been great since.. eating, playing and peeing and sleeping great.. been on bland diet .. started this morning ( i added a 1/4 cup of the NVI beef food kibble in ) and still no poop!:eek:

so sorry for driving you all crazy but should I worry ???

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
To clarify, do you mean he hasn't pooped in four days? Sorry, I thought I was following your posts but I guess I missed some.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
To clarify, do you mean he hasn't pooped in four days? Sorry, I thought I was following your posts but I guess I missed some.

sorry Yes today is day # 4 with no poop. he is peeing and eating fine.. my husband thinks maybe the rice is constipating him now.. the vet says he was so sick with diarehha and vomitting that it will take a few days for system to get back on track. I am just concerned

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh..I was just wondering about how he was doing..I am sure rice is binding him up..that's what it's for after all! I bet as you increase his food and reduce the rice his system will adjust. If he is acting and eating ok..I just have to think it's working it's way through his system. Poor baby had a bad time...if he doesn't have an allergy to dairy..how about a teaspoon of nonfat plain yogurt mixed in..acts like a probiotic. Jake gets teaspoon 2 times a week ever since he had runs. Jeez..wish I had magic formula..but I am sure you would know if he had a real problem.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Personally, I would be worried a little bit but if the vet thinks he still ok, then it would settle my nerves a bit. I am pretty sure that vet's are knowledgeable about what can happen when a dog eats something it shouldn't since it is probably pretty common.

Are you sure it was just the one toy? Did they check and see that there wasn't anything else in there?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
it was the head of a toy that he ate a month ago.. we remember it distinctly .. we are so paranoid with Duke and we never let him have anything unless we are right with him. my husband turned his head for one minute and he swallowed it. now he does not get them .. he does not have free roam of the house. when we go to work his is in an octagon type play yard.. we are 100 % certain he pooped it out ( sorry to be gross ).. the vet does not seem too concerned. he said if he is eating, sleeping and peeing not to worry. ???? I have to believe this because when the toy was blocking him last weekend he was so sick :(

the vet has him on an antibiotic to help his system and priobotics ( pill form ) for one month. he said the rice, antibiotic and trauma to his system have to work its way out.

My husband just wants to give him all of his normal food again and stop the rice but I don't want it to be to quick?

I am just a little worried too ??

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I am trying to think back to when my pup was on a bland diet of weeks with rice. And still had diarrhea...it was a few days before solid poo was seen. Has the pup been checked out by the vet since the deposit of the toy in the back yard? To make sure nothing else was a problem? No diarrhea is a good sign but no bowel movement, nothing not even a little bit of diarrhea after the toy passed?

Curious what size was the toy?

Trying to think...when Ahsoka was so sick...she went from diarrhea to soft serve when being put on Fortiflora. But...I would image each case is different. How many days did your vet say to wait with no bowel movement...before seeing the dog for possible x-rays?

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..men..they really aren't known for their patience..are they? I think his system will start working soon. If he has a probiotic then he sure doesn't need that yogurt! Tomorrow maybe increase kibble to 1/2 cup..then next increase go to 3/4 cup..until he is all on kibble. When he goes..if he has runs again..back up a step on dog food.. I really think if he is eating and acting normal..the rest will follow!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Good Day~
Moving from the diarrehea to a firm stool usually takes a few days. We keep our dogs on the bland diet until we see movement. If they are eating it means they are hungry. While Bullies are ALWAYS hungry, when there is something wrong, they really do not eat at all. So if he is eating, that is good. A mixture of rice, yogurt (or cottage cheese) and either boiled plain chicken breast (finely chopped) or drained and rinsed ground beef is a good mixture that is good for many days of feeding for recovery. As long as there is no obstruction, then just be patient. But having an X-ray or untrasound done to look for any other intestional problems such as a dead section or a ripped section is very necessary.
Keep us posted.
We pray for all is well.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
ok thanks everyone.. the vet told us if no bowel movement by tomorrow night ( dinner time ) to call and make an appt for Friday for xrays but really feel no worries.

of course I will

I don't mean to sound negative but when I was there on Friday night in the ER and they were so convinced it was the diet change I KNEW in my heart with the way he was acting that it was something more. I layed with the poor little guy all night he was SO uncomfortable then Saturday am passed the toy..

I am not saying anything is wrong he is so happy and running around, eating and peeing .. I just have never wanted him to poop so bad!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
ok thanks everyone.. the vet told us if no bowel movement by tomorrow night ( dinner time ) to call and make an appt for Friday for xrays but really feel no worries.

of course I will

I don't mean to sound negative but when I was there on Friday night in the ER and they were so convinced it was the diet change I KNEW in my heart with the way he was acting that it was something more. I layed with the poor little guy all night he was SO uncomfortable then Saturday am passed the toy..

I am not saying anything is wrong he is so happy and running around, eating and peeing .. I just have never wanted him to poop so bad!

You DO realize we have all gone over the deep end now..poor duke..if he only knew so many people were worried about his poop! Do you ..in your heart..feel something is wrong? If you do then take him for x-rays. You were right before and you have to trust yourself. You better get on this site and tell us IMMEDIATELY..when he goes!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
You DO realize we have all gone over the deep end now..poor duke..if he only knew so many people were worried about his poop! Do you ..in your heart..feel something is wrong? If you do then take him for x-rays. You were right before and you have to trust yourself. You better get on this site and tell us IMMEDIATELY..when he goes!

its not funny :lol::lol: My mom called me at work today to see " did Duke poop"... ha ha ha I will let you know. the vet left me a message and said to add 2 tablespoons of pumpkin to his food and this should help.. if he doesn't go by tomorrow I am taking him in.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
its not funny :lol::lol: My mom called me at work today to see " did Duke poop"... ha ha ha I will let you know. the vet left me a message and said to add 2 tablespoons of pumpkin to his food and this should help.. if he doesn't go by tomorrow I am taking him in.

That pumpkin..just amazes me..Jake is getting it for a few days cuz he has bit of the opposite problem from duke. I know it works both ways..good thing to try.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Fiber works that way...works for both issues. We need to re-title this...PRAYING FOR :poo: ! Over my years of being on forums...it's not uncommon for us to fret over no stool movement. But I am relieved they plan on looking at him if he still isn't doing anything...PRAYING FOR POOR for Duke.

Keep us posted...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Fiber works that way...works for both issues. We need to re-title this...PRAYING FOR :poo: ! Over my years of being on forums...it's not uncommon for us to fret over no stool movement. But I am relieved they plan on looking at him if he still isn't doing anything...PRAYING FOR POOR for Duke.

Keep us posted...

HERE..HERE. [MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION]..GO. DUKE..GO!!!

📰 Latest posts

Members online