Primrise oil... tell me about it :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So, i went to the vet today with Hank even though his ear was super under control but since i had the apt, i thought i'd go ahead and have him check inside ear to make sure i was truly on track. All looking good (not complete though yet) and no cytopoint shot needed. (Though he did say that "santa ana" winds were coming and may cause another bout of terrible itch for dogs) . Anyway, i told him what i was doing with oils and he agreed with all but did say that he's found that primrose oil to be VERY effective for using like i was with the oregano,, lavender,,, and coconut oil type stuff. Sooooooooo,,,, thoughts on the use of this oil? internal? external? or neither ..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So, i went to the vet today with Hank even though his ear was super under control but since i had the apt, i thought i'd go ahead and have him check inside ear to make sure i was truly on track. All looking good (not complete though yet) and no cytopoint shot needed. (Though he did say that "santa ana" winds were coming and may cause another bout of terrible itch for dogs) . Anyway, i told him what i was doing with oils and he agreed with all but did say that he's found that primrose oil to be VERY effective for using like i was with the oregano,, lavender,,, and coconut oil type stuff. Sooooooooo,,,, thoughts on the use of this oil? internal? external? or neither ..

Hmmmm interesting as a lot of women will use primrose for women issues like PMS, hot flashes etc... itā€™s also used for a source of essential fatty acid which is the omega 6. In dogs would be good for hormones n dry skin which can relieve itching. Iā€™m still trying to understand why the vet is guiding you on primrose for ear infection. OOO, lavender, CO is more powerful than PR. If all looks good but not 100% means itā€™s working. PR takes a lot longer in a body for it to kick in, I mean like months before you see any results. Stick to what works. Clean inside the ear with Lavender on cotton ball n in meals OOO. :)

Btw PR is not something you can give to dogs even humans permanently. Itā€™s used just for a few months then you need to stop taking it. Also side effects are vomiting, diarrhea n upset stomach in pets. I would not use that for my dogs. Takes too long to see results. But thatā€™s me.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] ;) He had suggested it mostly to temporary take internal and outer ear/face to help with his scratching. There was no infection but some yeast going on. Pretty sure got it all under control once again, and havent got the primrose oil and prob will put that off now. What his issue possibly stems from is that he is a sun bather and slight burn on his white side of his face which he started itching causing grief. Vet also advised that i dont let him do that through the mid day as that skin of his is pink freckled and tender.... and mentioned cancer causing sun rays. Anyway,,, thanks once again :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] ;) He had suggested it mostly to temporary take internal and outer ear/face to help with his scratching. There was no infection but some yeast going on. Pretty sure got it all under control once again, and havent got the primrose oil and prob will put that off now. What his issue possibly stems from is that he is a sun bather and slight burn on his white side of his face which he started itching causing grief. Vet also advised that i dont let him do that through the mid day as that skin of his is pink freckled and tender.... and mentioned cancer causing sun rays. Anyway,,, thanks once again :)

All white face turns pink very fast cause of their pigmentation is different and is more sensitive. Itā€™s normal. Yes definitely watch the sunbathing. This goes also for winter. Nyala would sit all day in the sun if I donā€™t tell her to get out of the sun. Then she gets up wobbling to the shade. Jake was born n raised outside. Oddly he wonā€™t stay in the sun. Btw, Omega 3 also helps for itching. Have you tried changing food? Yeast issues will boil down to food. Just a thought:)

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
All white face turns pink very fast cause of their pigmentation is different and is more sensitive. Itā€™s normal. Yes definitely watch the sunbathing. This goes also for winter. Nyala would sit all day in the sun if I donā€™t tell her to get out of the sun. Then she gets up wobbling to the shade. Jake was born n raised outside. Oddly he wonā€™t stay in the sun. Btw, Omega 3 also helps for itching. Have you tried changing food? Yeast issues will boil down to food. Just a thought:)

Yep on the food..... Still all raw, but,,,,,,,,,, am watching that he doesnt get bites of chicken as i always toss him some while i am making his sister Josie (chi) food. And, lessining the turkey as thats something he's had tons of so now more duck, and back on the stinkie green tripe, and the frozen little fish snakcs... He seems to be pretty darn comfortable ;)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online