Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Interviewing veterinarians

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper EllieMay's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Marshall Texas
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cinder
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default Interviewing veterinarians

    So I have used the same veterinarian for all my critters (which have been numerous) for the past 18 years... The problem - we moved to a different town in 2013 and itís now almost a two hour drive for me. They are excellent with my horses and with my labs ( who are now senior citizens). I will continue to use them for those guys.. but for my new baby, Iíd like a local vet. So yesterday I made several calls inquiring on specialist for bulldogs, surgical abilities, puppy programs, etc... I also wanted the health guarantee from my puppy breeder checked out. There was one vet in particular that I really liked. She seemed enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The only thing that concerned me was this... they told me that if I was on time keeping my puppyís vaccinations , preventatives and health requirements done for they first year, that they would provide its food for that year. The food being science diet... so from everything Iíve read, this is not the optimal food... do you think this is a red flag on the vet? I have a neighbor that owns an English bulldog and I plan on asking them about their vet but Iíd love to read your thoughts.... I did see the link here on recommended vets but there are none listed very close to me..

  2. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,319
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    9260

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    If you state where you live, someone here may know of veterinarian closer to you. There are many vets who sell Science Diet/Royal Canin, and get a big commission. Many vets were not taught about nutrition in vet school. If you like the vet, you don't have to use the food, or you can donate it to a shelter-they probably can use all the food they can get. That food is crap, you need to choose a better food. Members here will recommend some for you. You should pay a visit to the vet to hear her thoughts and how knowledgeable she seems about English Bulldogs.(she is not knowledgeable about food!-commission talks!)
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  3. Likes Cbrugs, EllieMay liked this post
  4. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,464
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11496

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Quote Originally Posted by EllieMay View Post
    So I have used the same veterinarian for all my critters (which have been numerous) for the past 18 years... The problem - we moved to a different town in 2013 and itís now almost a two hour drive for me. They are excellent with my horses and with my labs ( who are now senior citizens). I will continue to use them for those guys.. but for my new baby, Iíd like a local vet. So yesterday I made several calls inquiring on specialist for bulldogs, surgical abilities, puppy programs, etc... I also wanted the health guarantee from my puppy breeder checked out. There was one vet in particular that I really liked. She seemed enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The only thing that concerned me was this... they told me that if I was on time keeping my puppyís vaccinations , preventatives and health requirements done for they first year, that they would provide its food for that year. The food being science diet... so from everything Iíve read, this is not the optimal food... do you think this is a red flag on the vet? I have a neighbor that owns an English bulldog and I plan on asking them about their vet but Iíd love to read your thoughts.... I did see the link here on recommended vets but there are none listed very close to me..
    She seemed enthusiastic and knowledgeable and has conditions you need to have all updated shots n get that ďcrappyĒ food? And Iím being nice here cause crappy is putting it mildly. Science Hill just recently removed certain products as itís killing dogs. Says a lot about the enthusiastic and knowledgeable vet there. Stay away from her. Put it this way, the more you feed dogs with grains, the more youíll see a vet. Hereís a link that will guide you. By the way, all the pets Iíve own for decades, Iíve never given any updated shots. They got it from pups and that was it. Not one died cause the had no shots. I use Essential Oils but thatís me. Thatís MY personal choice. That being said, my dogs donít go to dog parks nor daycare etc. Helps a lot.

    https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/blogs...-and-nutrition

  5. Likes EllieMay, RiiSi liked this post
  6. #4
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,728
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2567

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    I don't think you should judge the vet by what brand of food they sell; all vets we have visited sell either Hill's or Royal Canin and they have all been very good vets.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  7. Likes EllieMay, Cbrugs liked this post
  8. #5
    Pooper scooper EllieMay's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Marshall Texas
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cinder
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    All good points. I live in Marshall Texas.. I am definitely planning on going grain free on any dry food but I think I’m leaning more towards a mostly fresh diet... I like the idea of donating food. I am planning a personal interview with all of the potential vets, but the problem is that I am not so smart myself.... yet. My grandmother taught me a lot about cleanliness and diet on her bulldogs and she never had vet emergencies but a lot is still probably not enough:-)

    All that being said, I appreciate everyone’s input!

  9. Likes helsonwheels, Cbrugs liked this post
  10. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,464
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11496

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    I don't think you should judge the vet by what brand of food they sell; all vets we have visited sell either Hill's or Royal Canin and they have all been very good vets.
    True, but since it’s off the market I’m just wondering if they’re not trying to get rid of their leftovers. I have never heard any vet proposing such an offer. Sales pitch in my opinion.

  11. Likes cefe13, Cbrugs liked this post
  12. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,464
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11496

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Quote Originally Posted by EllieMay View Post
    All good points. I live in Marshall Texas.. I am definitely planning on going grain free on any dry food but I think I’m leaning more towards a mostly fresh diet... I like the idea of donating food. I am planning a personal interview with all of the potential vets, but the problem is that I am not so smart myself.... yet. My grandmother taught me a lot about cleanliness and diet on her bulldogs and she never had vet emergencies but a lot is still probably not enough:-)

    All that being said, I appreciate everyone’s input!
    A lot of members here are In Texas. They will guide you towards one. Hang on...

  13. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  14. #8
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,728
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2567

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    True, but since it’s off the market I’m just wondering if they’re not trying to get rid of their leftovers. I have never heard any vet proposing such an offer. Sales pitch in my opinion.
    Oh yes, you're right. I forgot about the offer - was only thinking about choice of vet!


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  15. Likes Cbrugs, helsonwheels liked this post
  16. #9
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,119
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5330

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    I don't think you should judge the vet by what brand of food they sell; all vets we have visited sell either Hill's or Royal Canin and they have all been very good vets.
    I will agree with this. My vet who I absolutely love sells all those foods too BUT not once has he ever pushed me to feed any of them. He is on board with me feeding raw and has always had the opinion of "feed what works."

  17. Likes helsonwheels, cefe13 liked this post
  18. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,464
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11496

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I will agree with this. My vet who I absolutely love sells all those foods too BUT not once has he ever pushed me to feed any of them. He is on board with me feeding raw and has always had the opinion of "feed what works."
    Mine too. Sells all of it but never pushed me buying it. He’s for raw. Only his ex-secretary tried many years ago. But she’s been fired to be pushy n negative. He had enough of her.

  19. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  20. #11
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,640
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default Re: Interviewing veterinarians

    Homeopathic vets recommend as few vaccines as possible. One schedule is:
    1) the core vaccine ( distemper, adenovirus, parvovirus ) only twice- the first one at 12 weeks and the second at 14-16 weeks .followed by a titre 2-3 weeks after second one.
    2) the 1 yr rabies vaccine preferably at 20 weeks( with the absolute earliest at 12 weeks if required earlier by law ) and then starting a year later with the 3 yr vaccine and repeating every 3 years.
    https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...cinations.aspx

  21. Likes helsonwheels liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •