RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
A buddy of mine just loves our boys. He used to come and see me but now itā€™s the dogs. He said I work with a guy that bought a bulldog puppy. He said he loves taking his puppy on long walks. I said really? Call him I want to talk to him. He said why do you want to talk to him. I said he is a idiot. These dogs cannot handle long walks much less 85 degrees outside. He said I know. The dog got overheated and passed away yesterday. People get so excited buying the breed simply for the attention the dogs get and do zero homework. Itā€™s just sad.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes sadly you canā€™t buy this type of breed n not do your homework. I fell on this site that educated me on the breedā€™s breathing. The only issue these dogs have or any flat nose dogs is their breathing. The rest, well lots of other breeds have, joint issues, cancer, skin problems, yeast, diabetes etc etc... Iā€™ve learned a lot on their breathing and look, I lost Duke at 2.5yrs old n we didnā€™t even started the walk yet n it was cool to wear a jacket that day. Was only 15 outside. No heat anywhere. His anxiety got the best of him n an uneducated emergency vet. More n more EB lives longer n healthy. We cannot be afraid to get this breed, we simply like you said, do your homework. Nyala n Duke would walk 4-5km a day, hiking in the Rockies n all. Never once Iā€™ve seen them huffing n puffing out of control. If you teach your puppy to normal walks every day like baby steps n gradually add a few more steps slowly, your dog will be capable to go on long walks when their at a year old.. itā€™s how your train them. But definitely I would never walk them if it was pass 20cel. I would play with them in the backyard instead. Jake will never be like Duke, nowhere near as fit. But donā€™t mean he canā€™t walk n put a bit of effort. Any breed, if you feed them right from the start, maintenance on regular basis, exercise daily, youā€™ll have a healthy dog. But an 85lb EB right their is a health issue. I prefer them under 55lbs. But yes, definitely donā€™t be afraid buying an EB. Just educate yourself if like we should in all breeds. Thatā€™s my 2 cents.

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Anxiety. This was a little embarrassing. I had to talk to our vet about a year ago. We came home and I wasnā€™t sure if Rogan was going to calm down. I mean he sound like a dinosaur. They have a great staff but they would get so excited them made him overly excited. Now, when we get to the vet I call and ask them to let me know when itā€™s his turn. We stay in the truck with air condition wide open. We go to the little room then out. No two dogs are alike but I bet many dog owners on here know what Iā€™m talking about. I am not good with dogs and kids with health issues. Iā€™m the one that gets nervous.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Anxiety. This was a little embarrassing. I had to talk to our vet about a year ago. We came home and I wasnā€™t sure if Rogan was going to calm down. I mean he sound like a dinosaur. They have a great staff but they would get so excited them made him overly excited. Now, when we get to the vet I call and ask them to let me know when itā€™s his turn. We stay in the truck with air condition wide open. We go to the little room then out. No two dogs are alike but I bet many dog owners on here know what Iā€™m talking about. I am not good with dogs and kids with health issues. Iā€™m the one that gets nervous.

I was put in a separate room with my GS as we couldnā€™t have him with other dogs. Was such an event. I would walk in tell the vet weā€™re here n go back in the truck, wait for the vet to come out signaling us...ok to come in. Walk straight to a room n wait. Vet did his job with a few face licks....then repeat the scenario to leave. Loved ppl but not animals.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sad... I wish , as you said, people would research before getting any breed.... they all have limitations of some type, but flat breed pups even more so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.