Castor scratches his chin

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The last few days, Castor has scratched his chin against rugs (he lies flat on his tummy and drags his head back and forth over the rug fringe to the point of his chin now having started to bleed. He's not swollen, though, and there is no apparent rash apart from the (tiny) bleeding. I guess it's itching, and Castor wonders if anyone has any quick tips on how to stop the itching? I've washed his chin with water and with chlorehexidine.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
The last few days, Castor has scratched his chin against rugs (he lies flat on his tummy and drags his head back and forth over the rug fringe to the point of his chin now having started to bleed. He's not swollen, though, and there is no apparent rash apart from the (tiny) bleeding. I guess it's itching, and Castor wonders if anyone has any quick tips on how to stop the itching? I've washed his chin with water and with chlorehexidine.

Hi friend....I do not have any experience with Joey doing this BUT my lab/shepherd mix had terrible allergies and I could always tell when they were starting, the RUG RUB is what we called it!! I would give her benedryl and it helped.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi friend....I do not have any experience with Joey doing this BUT my lab/shepherd mix had terrible allergies and I could always tell when they were starting, the RUG RUB is what we called it!! I would give her benedryl and it helped.

Hi there and thanks! Will consider this (although I hope it's not allergy...) No new food but we have started giving him tiny bits of cheese because he just loves cheese. Perhaps the cheese is the culprit. I'll ask him tomorrow how he feels about cutting back on the cheese :D:w00t:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally rubs his face ALL over the carpet, especially after eating... he doesn't give me the chance to wipe his chin!!! Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

both my guys do this especially after eating.... I wipe their faces after meals, but they still do it

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Great to know Castor is in good company! So perhaps he has just picked up a new bulldog thing! Over the last year, he has discovered his voice and looks equally surprised everytime he barks, like 'who did that?'. And they say old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

I will wipe his chin after meals and drinks!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Great to know Castor is in good company! So perhaps he has just picked up a new bulldog thing! Over the last year, he has discovered his voice and looks equally surprised everytime he barks, like 'who did that?'. And they say old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

I will wipe his chin after meals and drinks!

That is too cute... eyes wide open looks around for the bark! [emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
both my guys do this especially after eating.... I wipe their faces after meals, but they still do it

Jax does it after eating as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
This morning Castor yelped when I checked his ears so we thought aha, ear infection. Took him to the vet who said his ears looked pretty ok. She swabbed him and will get in touch if she finds anything but probably he doesn't have an infection. Good news, but an ear infection would have explained his scratching, perhaps!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This morning Castor yelped when I checked his ears so we thought aha, ear infection. Took him to the vet who said his ears looked pretty ok. She swabbed him and will get in touch if she finds anything but probably he doesn't have an infection. Good news, but an ear infection would have explained his scratching, perhaps!

Jake’s pre-visit before his vasectomy, vet checked his ears n swabbed it deeper than what I was doing. Found a small dark layer of bacteria. Told me to continue doing what I was doing as it was working. There’s “so deep” you want to go in an ear... So your vet visit is a good idea... You just never know.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Jake’s pre-visit before his vasectomy, vet checked his ears n swabbed it deeper than what I was doing. Found a small dark layer of bacteria. Told me to continue doing what I was doing as it was working. There’s “so deep” you want to go in an ear... So your vet visit is a good idea... You just never know.

The swabs came back ok. Could be that there's something deep down as you say, though. And he's still scratching on and off. I don't know, perhaps this is his way of reacting to recent changes in the weather and to the fact that holidays are over so his hours have changed a little and he spends more time alone.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The swabs came back ok. Could be that there's something deep down as you say, though. And he's still scratching on and off. I don't know, perhaps this is his way of reacting to recent changes in the weather and to the fact that holidays are over so his hours have changed a little and he spends more time alone.

Could be anything n nothing. Glad the swab was clean.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Could be change of weather... environmental allergies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.