AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Hi there, Iā€™ve brought home my 8 w.o. Pup on Mon. And heā€™s had diarrhea ever since. Sometimes really watery, sometimes super soft. Yesterday I added a T. of plain Greek yogurt. I called my breeder and realized she has been feeding him Royal Canin Puppy chow while I accidentally bought and have been feeding Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy formula. I started NaturVet Advanced Probiotics and Enzymes Plus along with some pure, canned pumpkin to the Bulldog formula food that Iā€™ve been using this morning. He still has very, very soft diarrhea. At this point, should I slowly reintroduce the Royal Canin Puppy chow or go to complete gut rest? Or just go to the vet?
Heā€™s drinking well, not a great eater tho, probably because this is a new food. If I decide to do the boiled chicken and rice gut rest, how much do I prepare and feed and for how long? Iā€™ve also ordered FortiFlora but that wonā€™t arrive for a couple more days. Any suggestions?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
With puppies I always suggest a trip to the vets... make sure it's not a parasite. In the meantime, you could get his old food and try to see if his stools firm up OR go the ground sirloin and rice route. Most bulldogs are allergic to chicken, so sirloin might be easier on his tummy. Whatever suggestion on his dog food bag would work for the rice formula... say for instance 1/2 cup three times a day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=19186]AKbully[/MENTION], welcome to EBN!! Probiotics are great on daily basis ā€œbutā€ donā€™t over load on it as it can cause diarrhea especially in puppies. Like [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] mentioned, rice n sirloin would be a start. Royal Canin is all full of grains that also can make a dog have loose stools. Stick to rice n steak for now and a vet check like mentioned. Once heā€™s back on track gradually re-introduce a proper grain free kibble like Acana which has tripe and great source of probiotic. While on rice n sirloin donā€™t give any of the probiotic you bought. Let the food take over to settle the stomach. He just got off momā€™s milk so his body is still protected.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The big change in his life may also have upset his tummy . Castor was like that when we picked him up at 9 w. I would let the vet have a look at him, though (esp if you haven't taken him to the vet since you got him). Our vet suggested pudding rice (i.e. round grains, not the ordinary long rice type) and minced meat, and to boil the rice for a long time in plenty of water and then to serve the rice-meat with some of the excess water (NB cold - never warm food to dogs!).

Good luck, and we'd love to see pictures of baby Cooper!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there, Iā€™ve brought home my 8 w.o. Pup on Mon. And heā€™s had diarrhea ever since. Sometimes really watery, sometimes super soft. Yesterday I added a T. of plain Greek yogurt. I called my breeder and realized she has been feeding him Royal Canin Puppy chow while I accidentally bought and have been feeding Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy formula. I started NaturVet Advanced Probiotics and Enzymes Plus along with some pure, canned pumpkin to the Bulldog formula food that Iā€™ve been using this morning. He still has very, very soft diarrhea. At this point, should I slowly reintroduce the Royal Canin Puppy chow or go to complete gut rest? Or just go to the vet?
Heā€™s drinking well, not a great eater tho, probably because this is a new food. If I decide to do the boiled chicken and rice gut rest, how much do I prepare and feed and for how long? Iā€™ve also ordered FortiFlora but that wonā€™t arrive for a couple more days. Any suggestions?

How is he doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Thank you for asking! Heā€™s going from semi solid back to somewhat runny. He starts the day with semi-solid and then he gets looser throughout the day. Heā€™s eating better and drinking fine. I did take him to the vet and had his stool checked and heā€™s clear of parasites. Iā€™ve kept him on the Royal Cannin Bulldog puppy formula and still giving about 3 tablespoons total of pure pumpkin everyday. Also, he is eating 1 Probiotic supplement a day. Iā€™ll follow up next week with the vet. Could this be a sign of a food allergy?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for asking! Heā€™s going from semi solid back to somewhat runny. He starts the day with semi-solid and then he gets looser throughout the day. Heā€™s eating better and drinking fine. I did take him to the vet and had his stool checked and heā€™s clear of parasites. Iā€™ve kept him on the Royal Cannin Bulldog puppy formula and still giving about 3 tablespoons total of pure pumpkin everyday. Also, he is eating 1 Probiotic supplement a day. Iā€™ll follow up next week with the vet. Could this be a sign of a food allergy?

Cracks me up when I see these vets putting a specific dog name on their crap Royal Cannin bags. A dog is a dog when it comes to eating any kibble.

Good to hear he has no parasites. RC is full of grains like Iā€™ve mentioned above. Dogs will go poop more n softer. Iā€™ve been in the food industry for years n definitely would change my dogā€™s food. A few years ago RC was caught putt feathers in their kibbles as a filler. You need a grain free kibble n even better go raw. A dog that eats raw poops small little hard nuggets. No soft stools at all. Just a thought.

OP
A

AKbully

Aug 15, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Admittedly, I did zero research on the most nutritionally sound puppy food as I figured my breeder choose this specific brand for a reason. I will begin my research using this forum. I know my puppy was not having any diarrhea issues before I flew home with him. Maybe I should cut out the pumpkin and probiotic for a couple of days to see if his stools remain semi-solid as it is in the morning?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Admittedly, I did zero research on the most nutritionally sound puppy food as I figured my breeder choose this specific brand for a reason. I will begin my research using this forum. I know my puppy was not having any diarrhea issues before I flew home with him. Maybe I should cut out the pumpkin and probiotic for a couple of days to see if his stools remain semi-solid as it is in the morning?

How long has he been with you? At this age allergies are unlikely and it could be nerves from the trip.

RC is all fillers so finding a better food will help... of course raw is best if you can do it but here are some of the higher quality foods

Acana
Orijen
Fromm
Earthborn
Zingnature

Also
The honest kitchen
Spot farms

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/dog-food-review-royal-canin-hills-and-burns

Agree with the trip. When I brought home Duke he had same issue for weeks. Was basically stress. Trip, new home, new faces, different environment without mom.....etc

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.