Bloody Stool and Diarrhea

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Nelly had a bout of diarrhea two weeks ago. Fasted couple days, bland for three, resumed regular diet (Nutro Ultra Weight) and after a couple days of no bowel movements, she was fine within a week. One week later she has diarrhea again, very bloody this time. No other symptoms, energy fine, eating and drinking fine. She may have an ear infection but she almost always does.

I'm going to take her in the morning, through ER if necessary, but just wondered if anyone had thoughts.

Should add Nelly had obstruction surgery on 6/24 (seven weeks ago). Surgery was not traumatic but her healing was a bit slow.

Thanks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nelly had a bout of diarrhea two weeks ago. Fasted couple days, bland for three, resumed regular diet (Nutro Ultra Weight) and after a couple days of no bowel movements, she was fine within a week. One week later she has diarrhea again, very bloody this time. No other symptoms, energy fine, eating and drinking fine. She may have an ear infection but she almost always does.

I'm going to take her in the morning, through ER if necessary, but just wondered if anyone had thoughts.

Should add Nelly had obstruction surgery on 6/24 (seven weeks ago). Surgery was not traumatic but her healing was a bit slow. Thanks.

How old is she and what kind of red is the blood? Dark or bright? Also if you go to the ER bring a sample to them.

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
How old is she and what kind of red is the blood? Dark or bright? Also if you go to the ER bring a sample to them.

She is six. Bright red. I brought her in. Decided Iā€™d rather spend all night at the ER than all day. I didnā€™t bring a sample because they have rejected them in the past as non-sterile. Will follow up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is six. Bright red. I brought her in. Decided Iā€™d rather spend all night at the ER than all day. I didnā€™t bring a sample because they have rejected them in the past as non-sterile. Will follow up.

Please keep us posted.. I hope it is just a parasite and nothing more serious
[emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Please keep us posted.. I hope it is just a parasite and nothing more serious
[emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They took a sample but think parasite is unlikely because sheā€™s up to date on meds. Advised longer stint of bland diet this time (one week) to give her stomach more of an opportunity to heal. Metronizadole and forti flora.

Wasnā€™t too bad of a trip either, in and out of ER in an hour.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
They took a sample but think parasite is unlikely because sheā€™s up to date on meds. Advised longer stint of bland diet this time (one week) to give her stomach more of an opportunity to heal. Metronizadole and forti flora. Wasnā€™t too bad of a trip either, in and out of ER in an hour.

Usually an obstruction takes time to heal. Bright red blood is usually caused by stress. When I brought Duke home he was a pup and then out of nowhere had bright red blood and a bit slimy too. That was because Nyala my brindle played rough with him, plus was a new house, environment, food....so just that will cause stress in a dog. Basically it could be anything. Even if theyā€™re up to date on meds, parasite still can happen. Drinking dirty water in dog parks or in other dogs bowls etc etc...you never know. Yes do keep us posted

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online