Real Name
    Grace
    Country
    united states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nelly
    Likes (Received)

Default Bloody Stool and Diarrhea

Nelly had a bout of diarrhea two weeks ago. Fasted couple days, bland for three, resumed regular diet (Nutro Ultra Weight) and after a couple days of no bowel movements, she was fine within a week. One week later she has diarrhea again, very bloody this time. No other symptoms, energy fine, eating and drinking fine. She may have an ear infection but she almost always does.

I'm going to take her in the morning, through ER if necessary, but just wondered if anyone had thoughts.

Should add Nelly had obstruction surgery on 6/24 (seven weeks ago). Surgery was not traumatic but her healing was a bit slow.

Thanks.

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bloody Stool and Diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by nellbell View Post
    Nelly had a bout of diarrhea two weeks ago. Fasted couple days, bland for three, resumed regular diet (Nutro Ultra Weight) and after a couple days of no bowel movements, she was fine within a week. One week later she has diarrhea again, very bloody this time. No other symptoms, energy fine, eating and drinking fine. She may have an ear infection but she almost always does.

I'm going to take her in the morning, through ER if necessary, but just wondered if anyone had thoughts.

Should add Nelly had obstruction surgery on 6/24 (seven weeks ago). Surgery was not traumatic but her healing was a bit slow. Thanks.
    How old is she and what kind of red is the blood? Dark or bright? Also if you go to the ER bring a sample to them.

Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    Grace
    Country
    united states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nelly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    How old is she and what kind of red is the blood? Dark or bright? Also if you go to the ER bring a sample to them.
    She is six. Bright red. I brought her in. Decided Iíd rather spend all night at the ER than all day. I didnít bring a sample because they have rejected them in the past as non-sterile. Will follow up.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

She is six. Bright red. I brought her in. Decided Iíd rather spend all night at the ER than all day. I didnít bring a sample because they have rejected them in the past as non-sterile. Will follow up.
    Please keep us posted.. I hope it is just a parasite and nothing more serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    Grace
    Country
    united states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nelly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Please keep us posted.. I hope it is just a parasite and nothing more serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They took a sample but think parasite is unlikely because sheís up to date on meds. Advised longer stint of bland diet this time (one week) to give her stomach more of an opportunity to heal. Metronizadole and forti flora.

Wasnít too bad of a trip either, in and out of ER in an hour.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

They took a sample but think parasite is unlikely because she’s up to date on meds. Advised longer stint of bland diet this time (one week) to give her stomach more of an opportunity to heal. Metronizadole and forti flora. Wasn’t too bad of a trip either, in and out of ER in an hour.
    Usually an obstruction takes time to heal. Bright red blood is usually caused by stress. When I brought Duke home he was a pup and then out of nowhere had bright red blood and a bit slimy too. That was because Nyala my brindle played rough with him, plus was a new house, environment, food....so just that will cause stress in a dog. Basically it could be anything. Even if they’re up to date on meds, parasite still can happen. Drinking dirty water in dog parks or in other dogs bowls etc etc...you never know. Yes do keep us posted

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads