Advise on 7mo old with pneumonia that doesn’t seem to be resolving..

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Hi! My name is danielle and I just joined this group. I have a 7month old puppy, her name is Kona. I got the puppy at 6 months and by the 3rd day she to was sick... by the 4th day (july5th) I had to take her to the vet. Kona stayed the night there and was diagnosed with aspirated pneumonia. She received fluids and antibiotics there and then was sent home with antibiotic, anti diarrhea and anti acid. At her 1 week post check up she still had pneumonia showing on her x-Ray as well. During all of this she was still sounding very wet and coughing still.. We then changed her antibiotic (she did finish the first one as well) and also was prescribed a medicine to help with the excessive amounts of phlegm/mucus she is producing. She started to improve. At her3rd check up the x-ray showed quite a bit of improvement and she seemed way way way better. We finished the last of the antibiotic yesterday and will continue the other medicine until it’s gone (21 day cycle). Which brings me to now! She all of a sudden sounds real wet again and is coughing a little....
Sorry for the long winded confusing email, look forward to hearing about your baby’s outcome.
Thank you,
Danielle

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi! My name is danielle and I just joined this group. I have a 7month old puppy, her name is Kona. I got the puppy at 6 months and by the 3rd day she to was sick... by the 4th day (july5th) I had to take her to the vet. Kona stayed the night there and was diagnosed with aspirated pneumonia. She received fluids and antibiotics there and then was sent home with antibiotic, anti diarrhea and anti acid. At her 1 week post check up she still had pneumonia showing on her x-Ray as well. During all of this she was still sounding very wet and coughing still.. We then changed her antibiotic (she did finish the first one as well) and also was prescribed a medicine to help with the excessive amounts of phlegm/mucus she is producing. She started to improve. At her3rd check up the x-ray showed quite a bit of improvement and she seemed way way way better. We finished the last of the antibiotic yesterday and will continue the other medicine until it’s gone (21 day cycle). Which brings me to now! She all of a sudden sounds real wet again and is coughing a little....
Sorry for the long winded confusing email, look forward to hearing about your baby’s outcome.
Thank you,
Danielle

Welcome to EBN.

It can be difficult to keep it under control until resolved.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] has a good essential oils recipe that can help and are you using a vaporizer or give steam baths to help clear the lungs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Thank you! For the welcome as well as the link.
Yes we have been doing the bathroom steams as well as coupage... we don’t normally use essential oils but after reading quite a few posts it may be something to try.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry to hear what's been happening. The antibiotics were stopped too soon, it's usually necessary to treat for 4-6 weeks. Usual oral antibiotic is amoxicillin/clavulanic acid.

Hopefully you're giving her some probiotics at same time to prevent diarrhea.

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Thank you for your reply, it’s really appreciated hearing other people’s experiences and advise.
She was on 15 days of clavamox 250mg x2 a day, then 14 days of enfroflaxin 136mg once daily she never really had any diarrhea but they did prescribe her flagyl with the first antibiotic, but didn’t feel it was necessary again after it was finished. This is our first English bulldog so we are really just trying to get know the breed and all their special needs- but all my research prior to getting her didn’t prepare me for her being so sick within the first week. At this point I just wish she could cough to clear the mucus out... thanks again

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you for your reply, it’s really appreciated hearing other people’s experiences and advise.
She was on 15 days of clavamox 250mg x2 a day, then 14 days of enfroflaxin 136mg once daily she never really had any diarrhea but they did prescribe her flagyl with the first antibiotic, but didn’t feel it was necessary again after it was finished. This is our first English bulldog so we are really just trying to get know the breed and all their special needs- but all my research prior to getting her didn’t prepare me for her being so sick within the first week. At this point I just wish she could cough to clear the mucus out... thanks again

Yes, enrofloxacin is a great drug to use with amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for aspiration pneumonia, but like any quinolone class antibiotic can cause tendon and cartilage problems during periods of rapid growth, which is till about 8 months of age in a medium sized dog and up to 18 months of age in a large dog. That's why I didn't initially mention it. Hopefully your dog is ok since she is already 8 months of age.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! For the welcome as well as the link.
Yes we have been doing the bathroom steams as well as coupage... we don’t normally use essential oils but after reading quite a few posts it may be something to try.

Here’s a recipe that works. Since you don’t use EO make sure you buy quality EO like DoTerra or Woolzie. I use this recipe very often throughout the month. In your case, put it above the crate/kennel or where he sleeps. It will open up the airways/lungs and clear them out. Works!

Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1 cup)
This was for my brindle Nyala’s nights but you can also use daytime. I left it all day also so when she was roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. She was about 4-5 months old back then.

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8 drops of Peppermint NOTE BELOW
8 drops of Lavender
6 drops of Lemongrass.

If you have a cat in the house do NOT use peppermint. Simply remove from list Replace with Rosemary.

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Great thank you again for the advise.... looks like I will need to go shopping tomorrow :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Great thank you again for the advise.... looks like I will need to go shopping tomorrow :)

I would have started your dog on amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, and if not getting better, put her on BOTH amoxicillin/clavulanic acid or amoxicillin without the clavulanic acid, AND enrofloxacin. Enrofloxacin doesn't cover streptococcus and oral anaerobes which amoxicillin does, but adds a lot of coverage for staphylococcus and gram negative bacilli.

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
She sounds pretty crummy to be honest and started coughing a little more last night, still seems pretty wet. I’m waiting to hear back from vet as to if they want to see her or think maybe she just needs to be be out back on antibiotics. Thank you so much for asking.. I will keep u posted as to what the vet says.

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
I also started the essential oils recommended previously... not sure if they are helping? But from what I have read it takes some time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I also started the essential oils recommended previously... not sure if they are helping? But from what I have read it takes some time.

It usually takes a good 3 days. Like antibiotics basically. You will hear a lot of guk moving n coming out. Nyala my brindle had green snot coming out of her mouth, throat even eyes.

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up.. lol that prob would have freaked me out. I just heard back from vet and they would like to continue her on the antibiotics for awhile longer. She responded so well with it once we introduced it as well as the x-rays cleared up so much. Hopefully all of this will help her get back to normal again. Thank you so much for your support :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.