Eye stains...

starjess81

Apr 12, 2011
Herndon, Ky
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I am new to EBD ownership and care. I adopted my bully yesterday and gave him a bath, flea dip, and removed every single tick from his body. I noticed his right eye has a lot on staining on the fur and he blinks it a lot. i read he could have a red yeast infection. Any suggestions on how to treat it and get rid of the staining? He is going to the vet on monday, I just wondered if there was anything I could do until then. Thanks!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
Many EBD are very allergic to wheat in the foods. This is a big and common problem in Bullies. Most of the lower quality brands use wheat and gluten items as fillers in the food. Check on this site and there is a list of dogs food ranking. See what you are feeding and where it is on the list. It could also be just from a watery eye condition. Keep the eye folds and everyfold on the face, chin, head, neck and tail dock area wipped clean and dry as much as you can. Other problems will occur from the mositure also.
There are several products available from vet clinic or pet store or online. Angel eyes is one that I have heard of but have not used. For severe conditions the vet can give tetrocycline shots.
Start off slow on any food changes.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! A new pup huh? Congrats! I would look into the vet you are seeing and make sure they have bully knowledge. There are a lot of great bulldog vets listed on the homepage I would check it out and maybe that will help. Being smooshy faced, these pups need a diff kind of care than other dogs and have many health problems that are diff also which is why having a good bully vet is important. This is supposed to be great for bully folds and staining. I have just started using it myself. SPA Fresh Facial Scrub 8oz

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Four out of five of my bully's have tear stains that I clean daily. Friday I had Dolly spayed. While she was under, the vet gave her a full exam. He found eyelashes growing on the inside of her eyelids. They were cauterized and almost all the watery eyes condition is gone. This is a common condition in bulldogs.
Read lots of information on the breed and take all information into consideration. Every dog is different and you should find what works best for your new friend. This is a good place to start, but there's lots of sites with a raft of information. Good luck to you, as this is most common in the breed.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
So--is this a puppy or did you adopt an older dog? Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! So very exciting!

Others gave some great suggestions already but I have had success with eliminating tear stains by switching to filtered or bottled water. I have a white faced bully and we feel that she looked better when we switched to bottled water. Another non chemical solution is Apple Cider vinegar with "mother" in it. You can google Bragg Apple Cider vinegar dog tear stains and you can research it. I used that for about a month, once the brown stains were fading I never had to use the ACV again--just continued with filtered water. Personally, I would get the dog on a good cleaning routine, keep that beautiful face clean and dry, use filtered water, feed a high quality kibble and evaluate the staining in a few weeks.

You mentioned blinking--I am sure the vet will check the eyes--but I am wondering if there is something irritating the eye like a scratch or eyelid irritation?? Entropian, distichiasis??

Congrats again.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2201]starjess81[/MENTION] Welcome to EBN .. and congratulations on your new bully!!!! :up:

Where did you adopt him from?? Only asking because most rescue places would have taken care of things such as ticks etc .... :crazy:

There are so many reasons why his eye could be blinking a lot. Is it watering too? That could be the cause of this reddish tear stain. You will find as you explore this forum that a lot of bullys have allergies which can cause the eyes to be swollen and cause tear stains. Or just bad food can cause tear stains.

I wouldn't immediately assume that your bully has an allergy .... what food are you feeding him? Just putting your bully on a good food could take away these tear stains. IF there is an allergy then it may take some time playing around with different foods to find out which works the best. After three years I only just discovered that Maggie has an allergy to chicken, and it did affect her quite badly!!!

There is, of course, the possibly of entropian and maybe the vet could rule that out or not.

However, I would definitely look at the food first!! I'm guessing that if your newly adopted bully has ticks, that he also is not on a very good food. Getting him on a good food could save you many $$$$'s in the future in vet bills!!

OP
S

starjess81

Apr 12, 2011
Herndon, Ky
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I adopted him from a family, not a shelter and he is about a year old. They said he spent a lot of time outside which would explain the ticks and fleas. The said he ate beneful dog food. I usually just feed my dogs purina dog chow, maybe its not the best for bullys, but I am still learning. My lab loves his dog chow. I have been considering making home made dog food and supplementing 1/2 dry food with 1/2 homemade. Maybe it is the wheat? Not sure til he goes to the vet. And I will call the vet and make sure they are knowledgable if EBD. I feel a little dumb that I don't know, but I want to learn and give him the best care. I did read about the filtered water and vinegar. I just want to make him comfy until monday. Thanks for all the input, and don't judge me for not knowing everything.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I adopted him from a family, not a shelter and he is about a year old. They said he spent a lot of time outside which would explain the ticks and fleas. The said he ate beneful dog food. I usually just feed my dogs purina dog chow, maybe its not the best for bullys, but I am still learning. My lab loves his dog chow. I have been considering making home made dog food and supplementing 1/2 dry food with 1/2 homemade. Maybe it is the wheat? Not sure til he goes to the vet. And I will call the vet and make sure they are knowledgable if EBD. I feel a little dumb that I don't know, but I want to learn and give him the best care. I did read about the filtered water and vinegar. I just

want to make him comfy until monday. Thanks for all the input, and don't judge me for not knowing everything.

Hi..and congrats on adopting your bully. You will only get encouragement here..I am a newer bully owner too and there are lots of very kind and knowledgeable people here. These babies need lots of special care and it sounds like yours has not had the best start. For sure you will need to get him on a good food and that alone will make a world of difference. Just know we want to help you and you are very brave to bring this guy into your home and care enough to join us here. There are people here with much much more experience than me and they will help you with different choices..I just want to encourage you and thank you for opening your heart to this guy!

Preppydot

Apr 12, 2011
Arlington, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wally
Our little EB puppy Wally (4.5 months) had a tear stain on his eye when we picked him up from the breeder. She said it was from their water so we have been giving him filtered water, and I have been cleaning his folds multiple times a day with a baby wipe. 2 months later with nothing other than daily cleaning and filtered water, the tear stain is totally gone.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I feel a little dumb that I don't know, but I want to learn and give him the best care. I did read about the filtered water and vinegar. I just want to make him comfy until monday. Thanks for all the input, and don't judge me for not knowing everything.[/QUOTE]

Bullys are special! You'll get the hang of it. Everyone is here to help. When I first got Lucy I too know nothing about appropriate foods, cleaning, allergies and so on---etc. I learned as she grew! You'll be great--if you have a question just ask!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No one here will judge you for not knowing everything :). That is the reason this site exists is to help bully owners , new and experienced:)

Ask all the questions you need to, everyone here is very helpful!

Sounds like this little bully was not cared for at all! Thank God for you to adopt!

Beneful and purina both are not good for any dog, but especially bulldogs. Check out the dog food ratings and the recommended dog foods. Also if you go to the home page, click on the dog food and nutrition section and read the articles and testimonials. If you have any questions, please ask.

I feed Fromm but also have had success with natures logic, natures variety and avoderm. Fromm is my final choice because of many factors, but mainly probiotics are in the guaranteed analysis.

The blinking could be allergies, an eye ulcer, a cornial scratch, or entropion. Squinting is really bad and usually means ulcer or scratch.

Please keep us updated, would love to hear how the appt goes :)

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Hi!! Congrats on your new bully!! I am so glad you saved them from those people. The wonderful people here like to ask alot of questions to better understand what is going on in your bullys life and find the best way to help you both. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your lovely guy!!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
One thing you will find here is that no one will jusge you. And even those who have been around for many years don't know it all, so don't worry.
As you will read here, there are lots of opinions and FREE advice. but be sure and read LOTS of thread as well as do you own research on other websites about food quality for EBD's. What you need to find out is what is the BEST food for YOUR dogs. Some foods are better for some breeds. I have a lab also and beneful works great for her, no probs. But the Bullies get a variety. The puppy gets Royal Canin, two adults get Canidae (grain free, ALS) and another gets bison protein.
So no one brand is best for all, and just becuase it is expensive does not mean that is what you have to buy. Avoid making home made, to avoid inconsistency and certainly the other items in packaged foods are benefical.
See the other posts and threads about skin conditions as well. Some skin conditions are food related, some are environmental (inside and out) and yet even others are genetic, heritic or breed specific. It does take time and there is a lot to do to treat the conditions for making him feel better. Oatmeal shampoos and conditioners are very good, itch/hot spot sprays and lotions and even making sure of the laundry soap you are using is important.
But don't change everything or try everything at once. If it does improve, you will have no way of knowing what exactly works.

Continue to rub the rabbits foot on your hand, his paws (all 4) and way in the air in a circle three times counterclock wise.

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], How is that facial scrubb working out for you? Have you been able to note any progress? I've noticed Biggie starting to develop a bit of a tear stain on the white side of his face and want to nip it in the bud.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online