Serious Bacterial infection Tail/ear

cooperk123

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Hello
My senior bulldog had a bacterial infection in his tail pocket over a month ago. He went on antibiotics. The vet said it was likely worse than it looked. It was inflamed. Losing hair, etc. We did the meds but we were away part way through. It did seem to be improving but when we got home from vacation his tail is back quite inflamed and his one ear is leaking green plus that really smells. This happened the day we returned. I think the meds did NOT clear the infection and it has spread. His other ear also looks red. Has anyone had a similar issue like this? I am cleaning it. Giving pains meds and he is going to the vet tomorrow. He is still eating and drinking but just feel so badly for him as I k ow he is in pain.
Thanks
Kelly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Green puss is a sure sign of infection, he is going to need more antibiotics. You also want to add a probiotic to help his immune system due to the antibiotics

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ve said this numerous times in here and I know 100% it works as I still use it for my brindleā€™s tail pocket. I also use the same recipe for my dogā€™s ears. Nyala was supposed to get her tail amputated as a pup cause of non stop infections. Knowing essential oils how powerful they are I saw this recipe but did modify it a tad. Today Nyala is almost 4yrs old. Still has her tail. My newcomer Jakeā€™s ears had really dark brown pasty guk. He was an outside dog. I immediately cleaned his ears with only 2 drops of lavender essential oil n CO (see recipe below) on a cotton ball under the flap of the ear. Oil seeps on its own so no need to go deep into the canal. He had his vet check a few days after having him n the vets said he had a bit of bacteria in his ears but to continue to do whatever I was doing. His ears are great now. Oils are great for maintenance.

8 drops Lavender
8 drops Geranium
8 drops Frankincense
8 drops Basil
5 drops Arborvitae (or thuja if you canā€™t find Arborvitae)

3 oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil (clear one) to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full? Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections? If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Like I mentioned I did modify the recipe as it called 15 drops n not 8. I find it was a bit too strong for 3oz of FCO.
Again I use this recipe today for ears n tail pocket.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think you are probably going to need antibiotics for the tail, but for the time being I'd recommend flushing out the ears with either Eco Ears or Zymox HC daily for a couple of weeks then once a week. ( Assuming the vet said that there's no perforation in the ear drum ).You can get Eco Ears from Amazon.

My dog doesn't have a tail pocket, but I've read this method as well, in case you don't have luck with the essential oil mixture, which is great, and works for many here.

Put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo (chlorhexidine/ketoconazole) in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
He might have food and/or environmental allergies causing the ear infection. Would be worthwhile trying him on cetirizine antihistamine. What kind of food you feeding him?

OP
C

cooperk123

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
C5E98CAA-CD63-491A-836B-4F455371A650.jpegI hope I am answering this correctly because I want to thank everyone for alll these great suggestions and help. I am going to try the essential oils and other recommendations for sure.
He went to the vet today. They cleaned his ears and gave me an antibiotic and also some extra pain medicine I was so happy his ear drum was okay and hope for a speedy recovery. He is doing well tonight on his meds!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 117071I hope I am answering this correctly because I want to thank everyone for alll these great suggestions and help. I am going to try the essential oils and other recommendations for sure.
He went to the vet today. They cleaned his ears and gave me an antibiotic and also some extra pain medicine I was so happy his ear drum was okay and hope for a speedy recovery. He is doing well tonight on his meds!

Like Christine mentioned, you absolutely need to give some probiotics as antibiotics kills also the good cells especially in the gut.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online