Fiona won’t eat or drink

JaMatO

Jan 31, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Hi, My Fiona has not eaten or drank today. It is warm here today. She has vomited a couple of times. The second time it was yellow and slimy. (Almost like a hang over vomit) How do I get her to drink?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi, My Fiona has not eaten or drank today. It is warm here today. She has vomited a couple of times. The second time it was yellow and slimy. (Almost like a hang over vomit) How do I get her to drink?

hang over vomit? Didn’t know there was a hang over vomit style :)

You would need to give us more info. Like her age, what she eats, hot outside like what.... I would definitely bring her to your vet for a check up in case she swallowed an object as that can be maybe one reason. Any toys missing a piece? It can be anything so bring her to the vet

Mmaker

Feb 21, 2016
New Mexico
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
We give Elsie ice cubes. But would also head to a vet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J

JaMatO

Jan 31, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Thank you for the quick responses! Fiona is 7 years old. She eats a duck and potato food along with some mixed vegetables or maybe some fruit. She has been eating that for quite a while with no issues. I just had her to the vet last week. They put her on Apoquel as her ears are always red and gunky. She also has alopecia on her flanks. Vet said that would probably take care of all of that. I think it may be a side effect of the meds. Since I wrote the previous post she has gone outside to do her duties before going to bed, she squatted to poop and I could see she was pushing but nothing came out. I did notice a little bit of diarrhea on her butt. It’s in the mid 70’s. She is obviously uncomfortable. I’ll see if I can get her into the vet. Thanks again!
p.s Hangover vomit is that stuff before the dry heaves ��

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you for the quick responses! Fiona is 7 years old. She eats a duck and potato food along with some mixed vegetables or maybe some fruit. She has been eating that for quite a while with no issues. I just had her to the vet last week. They put her on Apoquel as her ears are always red and gunky. She also has alopecia on her flanks. Vet said that would probably take care of all of that. I think it may be a side effect of the meds. Since I wrote the previous post she has gone outside to do her duties before going to bed, she squatted to poop and I could see she was pushing but nothing came out. I did notice a little bit of diarrhea on her butt. It’s in the mid 70’s. She is obviously uncomfortable. I’ll see if I can get her into the vet. Thanks again!
p.s Hangover vomit is that stuff before the dry heaves ��

Sounds like it could be the meds... I would contact the vet, maybe give her something else? She made need to take it with something on her stomach... you could give her rice/ground sirloin mix.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Wish it was in the mid 70's here! It is sounding like an obstruction to me, since she could not poop. My opinion, she needs a vet visit,quickly. not related-but if the "alopecia" on her flanks has black skin, it is "seasonal alopecia" and melatonin should help that.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Meds n still sounds like something stuck in there.

Vet said that would probably take care of all of that? Sadly, one med don’t fix all. Life would be too easy.

2 things you need to do now that we have more info is, give probiotics every single day as meds kills all the good gut’s flora. Needs to be balanced so she can “poop” normal. Ears, 2 drops of lavender essential oil on a cotton ball n swipe inside the floppy side of the ear. Do NOT add in the canals as oil will seep on its on. Her brown guk will clear up. Do this daily till guk is gone. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Was she checked for a blockage? Xrays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounds like side effects from the apoquel. Try using Zymox otic or EcoEars daily for a couple of weeks to flush her ears out if she has an infection, and switch to frozen raw dog food, and start cetirizine antihistamine. And cytopoint inj instead of apoquel after you've done all that, since it's not as broad spectrum as apoquel, it's more targeted at itching.

OP
J

JaMatO

Jan 31, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Wow! That’s a lot of info!! I was able to get Fiona to the vet this afternoon. She agrees that what is going on is probably side effects of the apoquel. Didn’t seem too concerned about not being able to poop.
So I’m to stop meds, Duh �� and give Fiona a bland diet for a couple of days starting tomorrow.
The alopecia does have black skin, always has, no matter the season. Will melatonin still work?
I will definitely get some lavender oil for the ears. They look good right now but like most meds the side efffects are worse than the issue. Thank you all so much for all you help!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow! That’s a lot of info!! I was able to get Fiona to the vet this afternoon. She agrees that what is going on is probably side effects of the apoquel. Didn’t seem too concerned about not being able to poop.
So I’m to stop meds, Duh �� and give Fiona a bland diet for a couple of days starting tomorrow.
The alopecia does have black skin, always has, no matter the season. Will melatonin still work?
I will definitely get some lavender oil for the ears. They look good right now but like most meds the side efffects are worse than the issue. Thank you all so much for all you help!!

Melatonin did not work for my guy SFA... I use vitamin D, it helped. But what cleared it up was switching to raw feeding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Here’s great bedtime stories. You can solve a lot of heath/maintenance issues with oils. But NOT just any oils. Simply read and if you’re not sure about something ASK me with a reply or/and my member name. Sometimes I don’t see everything. Don’t do your own potions if you’re not sure what to do. Some oils are good for dogs but not cats so basically you cannot use them certain oils if you also have a cat. That’s just one example.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

OP
J

JaMatO

Jan 31, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Thank You!,

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I tried melatonin for Monty's SFA when he first got it a few years ago. It didn't help. It did eventually go away on its own. Another patch came back earlier this year and looks like now it is spreading all over his back. I am not going to worry about it, it's just cosmetic. He is 9 and suffers from Sundowners Syndrome so I give him a calming pill in the evenings. If I were to give him Melatonin too, I think it would basically knock him out and I don't want that!
I hope Fiona is feeling better now.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.