Grain Free Dogfood And Cardiomyopathy

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm resurrecting this as I'm switching foods and am trying to understand... on the FDA website it gives the following statement, I don't understand what it means... does it mean the Taurine in affected pets was above minimal requirements? Is it saying Taurine amounts should not be the reason since the dogs had above minimal requirements? Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand.

[h=2]Taurine & Amino Acids[/h]
Nutritional research indicates that taurine is generally not considered an essential amino acid for dogs, because these animals can synthesize taurine from cysteine and methionine. Nearly all the grain-free products had methionine-cystine values above the minimum nutritional requirement of 0.65 percent for adult maintenance food for dogs published in the AAFCO Official Publication (OP).The FDA is still gathering information to better understand if (and how) taurine metabolism (both absorption and excretion) may have a role in these reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy.

First of all it doesn’t affect all dogs...Like now the grain free dog food are adding taurine in their kibbles.

https://breedingbusiness.com/taurine-for-dogs/

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.