Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grain Free Dogfood And Cardiomyopathy

Definitely no one should be changing anything. FDA will investigate if they get between 5-10 issues/deaths n yet there’s 77million pets in the US. 5-10??? Come on do the math here! There’s a good variety of great kibbles out there.

Being in the food industry and I’m inspected on regular basis by provincial n federal government. Trust me I do ask these inspectors what they think of Acana as it’s made n founded here in Alberta. They inspect Acana all the time n just pop in their facilities without letting Acana know they’re on their way. Ever single inspector I’ve asked what they think of Acana, not one had an issue with their facilities. “We never have issues with them” that’s their exact words. I’m not saying they won’t find anything one day but if they never had issues with them that’s a kibble I would feed my dogs. With the knowledge in my field I would still go with grain free for dogs n cats. The power of internet nowadays can be fantastic n yet dangerous at the same time. You need to use your common sense when reading anything these days. That’s my 2 cents on the FDA. Anyway look at some of their crap meds they approve on the market. Their side effects are worse than what you’re supposed to be treated for. Scary stuff.

2. Likes 2BullyMama, Cbrugs, MFrey2012 liked this post
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
    Likes (Received)

I'm resurrecting this as I'm switching foods and am trying to understand... on the FDA website it gives the following statement, I don't understand what it means... does it mean the Taurine in affected pets was above minimal requirements? Is it saying Taurine amounts should not be the reason since the dogs had above minimal requirements? Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand.

Taurine & Amino Acids

Nutritional research indicates that taurine is generally not considered an essential amino acid for dogs, because these animals can synthesize taurine from cysteine and methionine. Nearly all the grain-free products had methionine-cystine values above the minimum nutritional requirement of 0.65 percent for adult maintenance food for dogs published in the AAFCO Official Publication (OP).The FDA is still gathering information to better understand if (and how) taurine metabolism (both absorption and excretion) may have a role in these reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy.

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NicosMom View Post
    I'm resurrecting this as I'm switching foods and am trying to understand... on the FDA website it gives the following statement, I don't understand what it means... does it mean the Taurine in affected pets was above minimal requirements? Is it saying Taurine amounts should not be the reason since the dogs had above minimal requirements? Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand.

Taurine & Amino Acids

Nutritional research indicates that taurine is generally not considered an essential amino acid for dogs, because these animals can synthesize taurine from cysteine and methionine. Nearly all the grain-free products had methionine-cystine values above the minimum nutritional requirement of 0.65 percent for adult maintenance food for dogs published in the AAFCO Official Publication (OP).The FDA is still gathering information to better understand if (and how) taurine metabolism (both absorption and excretion) may have a role in these reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy.
    I read this article that breaks it down fairly well: https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/blogs...ease-in-dogs-1
    check Curly's Lymphoma Journey out on Instagram: Kernel_Curly

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NicosMom View Post

Taurine & Amino Acids

First of all it doesn’t affect all dogs...Like now the grain free dog food are adding taurine in their kibbles.

https://breedingbusiness.com/taurine-for-dogs/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads