Weight query

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi

Not sure if this is in the right place. Please feel free to move.

Bruce is 9 weeks old now and was weighted yesterday at 4.5kg.

Is this weight normal or small? Everywhere I look online it says he is below average. He is an active dog out the garden running around for an hour or so at least 3-4 times a day.

I am feeding him around 180-200g of moistened wainwright's dry dog food in a 24hour period split into 4 meals. Is this about right or could I be over or under feeding him?

Any advice or help would be great

Thanks in advance

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi

Not sure if this is in the right place. Please feel free to move.

Bruce is 9 weeks old now and was weighted yesterday at 4.5kg.

Is this weight normal or small? Everywhere I look online it says he is below average. He is an active dog out the garden running around for an hour or so at least 3-4 times a day.

I am feeding him around 180-200g of moistened wainwright's dry dog food in a 24hour period split into 4 meals. Is this about right or could I be over or under feeding him?

Any advice or help would be great

Thanks in advance

So basically heā€™s almost 10lbs and youā€™re feeding him a tad under a pound per day. I donā€™t know wainwright's dog food as we donā€™t have it here on the western side of the planet. But I do know UK carries Acana. I would definitely go with one protein per bag of acana since yours is a puppy. Your bag wainwright's, you moistened the kibbles or it comes moistened? If itā€™s you that moistens it, stop as your puppy needs to chew n build strong teeth. Does he get any treats throughout the day? Is your wainwright's bag for adult or puppy? 10 lbs is ok but I would give him a bit more as itā€™s important he gets all the good fats, vitamins at that young stage.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
So basically heā€™s almost 10lbs and youā€™re feeding him a tad under a pound per day. I donā€™t know wainwright's dog food as we donā€™t have it here on the western side of the planet. But I do know UK carries Acana. I would definitely go with one protein per bag of acana since yours is a puppy. Your bag wainwright's, you moistened the kibbles or it comes moistened? If itā€™s you that moistens it, stop as your puppy needs to chew n build strong teeth. Does he get any treats throughout the day? Is your wainwright's bag for adult or puppy? 10 lbs is ok but I would give him a bit more as itā€™s important he gets all the good fats, vitamins at that young stage.

Perfect thank you.
I moisten then food as this I'd what the breeder told me to do. Yeah he gets treats throughout the day as we are still toilet training.

Great thank you I will have a look at the other dog food and I will feed him a little more throughout the day.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Also the food is for puppy 20190625_162907.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Perfect thank you.
I moisten then food as this I'd what the breeder told me to do. Yeah he gets treats throughout the day as we are still toilet training.

Great thank you I will have a look at the other dog food and I will feed him a little more throughout the day.

Wainwright is actually one of the better foods in UK, unless you are having issues you should be fine. She can stay on puppy food till 10 months then move to adult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Perfect thank you.

I only suggest Acana/orijen because itā€™s all I gave to all my dogs as itā€™s a brand I trust n never had issues. But nowadays both my dogs are on raw. That being said, if [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] says wainwrightā€™s a great product itā€™s because she knows the brand. If it works, of course stick with it for now. But do try to change every 3 months different proteins (One protein per bag) so he gets use to eat different meat.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
This is great advice thank you. It is much appreciated.

I have read that a cook egg is also good for them. Is this true?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
If I remember correctly, that is about what Castor weighed when we got him at nine weeks. He is now a lean boy of 20 kilos (six years). In hindsight, I could perhaps have given him more food (I followed advice on food bag), but healthwise it is better for dogs to be lean. His parents were a bit bigger, though (mum perhaps 23 and dad 25 kilos).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
This is great advice thank you. It is much appreciated.

I have read that a cook egg is also good for them. Is this true?

Yes eggs are great for dogs. Now that I saw a photo of Bruce, like [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] said, he looks good. Always better on the slim side. Itā€™s healthier. As the get older they tend to get too chunky. What you can do is up his snacks or toppings. Like the eggs. If there is no chicken in his kibbles, add a teaspoon of hemp or flaxseed oil mix in his egg. Or EVOO.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Great advice from everyone thank you so much.

I want him to be healthy

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.