Benedryl and Dementia risk.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If you are like me and your dog has allergies, you may have given them Benedryl. There is a study in humans that Benedryl and other anticholinergic drugs can lead to Dementia and the more and longer you take them, the bigger chance you have of getting it. As with any study there are differing points of view but I for one will not take the chance any more. I used to take it as a sleep aid. Monty has Sundowners Syndrome, a form of Dementia and now I wonder if I am the cause because I gave him Benedryl. So far I haven't found any information about doggy Dementia and Benedryl but I do think it is something to keep in mind.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind...-may-want-to-avoid-for-the-sake-of-your-brain

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you are like me and your dog has allergies, you may have given them Benedryl. There is a study in humans that Benedryl and other anticholinergic drugs can lead to Dementia and the more and longer you take them, the bigger chance you have of getting it. As with any study there are differing points of view but I for one will not take the chance any more. I used to take it as a sleep aid. Monty has Sundowners Syndrome, a form of Dementia and now I wonder if I am the cause because I gave him Benedryl. So far I haven't found any information about doggy Dementia and Benedryl but I do think it is something to keep in mind.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind...-may-want-to-avoid-for-the-sake-of-your-brain

Interesting. Basically thereā€™s been numerous studies done stating the Mediterranean diet helps enormously to keep the brain healthy cause of its good fats. Olive oils, nuts, legumes, whole grains, fish n so on... also the Keto diet which you can also put your dog on it.

https://www.ketopetsanctuary.com/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Every drug has its side effects... even when you think it is harmless they may not be. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

To be honest with you, I was extremely surprised when I saw in the US Benadryl to be available OTC. According to modern state of things in pharmacological science, this chemical substance (diphenhydramine) is considered to be a first generation antihistamine (means antiallerdic), it has too many powerful effects and not suitable for systematic use. It is very powerful antiallerdic though and in Europe is reserved for severe cases of allergy and usage in clinics in anaesthesia. Usually it is an injection. It is quite strictly controlled and by no means available OTC, because there are no OTC uses for it.
To use it as sleeping pill is an absolute misuse, and not good for your brain. It was popular in 1970-1980s, but not any more. It definitely has its impact on brain if you systematically use it as a sleeping pill. The mechanism of its work is to block very important brain mediator acetylCholine, which is deficient in patients with Alzheimerā€™s. So, basically, taking Benadryl systematically, you pushing your brain into chemically induced dementia with your own hands.
So, the only valid reason to take Benadryl at home is may be when you bitten by some wasp. For the rest, use modern antihistamines for allergy, modern sleeping pills for insomnia!
For dogs, the same - you can use it if your dog was bitten or has other big allergy, but not for systematic use. It is like pounding your brain with the hammer.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION]. I was hoping you would respond as I am interested in your take on this. In my case, I am pleased to say I took Benedryl as a sleep aid when needed, not every night. I don't like taking pills at the best of times so no more sleep aids of any kind for me, not even Melatonin! The scary thing is, it was my Dr at the time who recommended it and he had no idea of this study until I showed it to him. Monty is no longer taking any Benedryl but is the damage already done? I am sad to say it probably is.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION]. I was hoping you would respond as I am interested in your take on this. In my case, I am pleased to say I took Benedryl as a sleep aid when needed, not every night. I don't like taking pills at the best of times so no more sleep aids of any kind for me, not even Melatonin! The scary thing is, it was my Dr at the time who recommended it and he had no idea of this study until I showed it to him. Monty is no longer taking any Benedryl but is the damage already done? I am sad to say it probably is.

Melatonin gives me headaches when I wake up. Not for everyone. In your case why donā€™t you ask your doctor for cannabis prescription and ā€œvapeā€ ONLY before bed. Vaping is NOT like smoking a joint. Completely different. It only gets the thc and doesnā€™t do any smoke or barely see it. Some people I know does it before bed and they sure sleep well. Im the 20 thousand questions person cause Iā€™m curious. Doesnā€™t give you headaches, no burning lungs or throat etc. It works.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't use anything at all now. If I don't sleep, I read! Melatonin would give me a 'hangover' next morning and I would feel draggy all day and that was just 3mg. 1mg didn't do anything at all and double that was too much. I am very much a light-weight with regards drugs of any kind, so I have to be extra careful.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
@Lalaloopsie. I was hoping you would respond as I am interested in your take on this. In my case, I am pleased to say I took Benedryl as a sleep aid when needed, not every night. I don't like taking pills at the best of times so no more sleep aids of any kind for me, not even Melatonin! The scary thing is, it was my Dr at the time who recommended it and he had no idea of this study until I showed it to him. Monty is no longer taking any Benedryl but is the damage already done? I am sad to say it probably is.

Its definitely a very good decision to stop taking Benadryl for both of you! I think that in general approach in US to pharmaceutical regulations is a bit more loose than in Europe, and many strong medicines (like opioids) can be prescribed by physicians which is not the case in Europe. May be itā€™s because pharmaceutical business is so powerful in US. In 1970-80s it was common for doctors to recommend Benadryl as a sleeping aid, but not any more. I think your doctor just never got that information during his study or yearly training just because nobody put specific accent on it, and because everyone sees every day in Walmart Benadryl, no one even thinks to look for specific information about it. It seems so innocent. Good old medicine. I went to medical university in 1991-1997, and at that time we were taught this way, that Benadryl is not an every day medicine.
And to be honest, doctors like other people can vary in their passion for self improvement and new knowledge. Some read a lot of new research info and others donā€™t...

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
And of course, it's impossible to know everything. I found it scary because it is such a common drug and you assume it is harmless.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
And of course, it's impossible to know everything. I found it scary because it is such a common drug and you assume it is harmless.

Same

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Melatonin gives me headaches when I wake up. Not for everyone. In your case why donā€™t you ask your doctor for cannabis prescription and ā€œvapeā€ ONLY before bed. Vaping is NOT like smoking a joint. Completely different. It only gets the thc and doesnā€™t do any smoke or barely see it. Some people I know does it before bed and they sure sleep well. Im the 20 thousand questions person cause Iā€™m curious. Doesnā€™t give you headaches, no burning lungs or throat etc. It works.

I have sleeping issues and this is what I do and I sleep like a baby! Sometimes I use melatonin.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes maā€™am.

One of my friends she vapes cause rheumatoid arthritis, lymphocytic leukemia which is the least serious one. Anyhooo, been 2 almost years now and I swear her fingers are normal but one, her leukemia is under control and she sleeps like a baby. My sister uses it for hip pains from a bad fall. So I was told if you want to sleep without meds, vape. I know a lot of people doing this and every single one recommend it. I sleep like maybe 4hrs a night. I never slept normal for 30yrs after having my son. Iā€™m always running around, working 5-7 days a week, the dogs, maintenance cutting grass, veggies, shoveling blah blah blah.... lol. Iā€™m that energized bunny. My only issue that comes n go is bursitis in each hip cause I donā€™t stop n sleep....bursitis or not i will finish my day. I refuse to take any meds. Get up n go do what you have to do. I was raised like that. So I tried vaping and go figure it works! I sleep a good 6 hrs ish. Sadly Duke has a clock in him that comes in my room 6am, stands up on his hind legs, stares at me then starts pawing me. Like get up woman Iā€™m hungry n need to pee. My bursitis issue is 80% gone, I sleep so much better n I get out of bed feeling 100%. I only do like 4-5 puffs before bed. I sure wouldnā€™t do this in the day. But for sleeping? Hey go for it. Works!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
One of my friends she vapes cause rheumatoid arthritis, lymphocytic leukemia which is the least serious one. Anyhooo, been 2 almost years now and I swear her fingers are normal but one, her leukemia is under control and she sleeps like a baby. My sister uses it for hip pains from a bad fall. So I was told if you want to sleep without meds, vape. I know a lot of people doing this and every single one recommend it. I sleep like maybe 4hrs a night. I never slept normal for 30yrs after having my son. Iā€™m always running around, working 5-7 days a week, the dogs, maintenance cutting grass, veggies, shoveling blah blah blah.... lol. Iā€™m that energized bunny. My only issue that comes n go is bursitis in each hip cause I donā€™t stop n sleep....bursitis or not i will finish my day. I refuse to take any meds. Get up n go do what you have to do. I was raised like that. So I tried vaping and go figure it works! I sleep a good 6 hrs ish. Sadly Duke has a clock in him that comes in my room 6am, stands up on his hind legs, stares at me then starts pawing me. Like get up woman Iā€™m hungry n need to pee. My bursitis issue is 80% gone, I sleep so much better n I get out of bed feeling 100%. I only do like 4-5 puffs before bed. I sure wouldnā€™t do this in the day. But for sleeping? Hey go for it. Works!

I go through phases where I either canā€™t fall asleep or I canā€™t stay asleep. I used to take Benadryl or Zzzquil, anything to help me sleep. A few years ago I got a vape pen. Definitely helps me sleep. Like you, I go, go, go and Louieā€™s been waking me up at 5 am since heā€™s been home. Heā€™ll go back to sleep but me...once Iā€™m up, Iā€™m up.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online