Skin allergy!!!

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Hi everyone! When I took my baby to the vet for his shots and a check up, we asked him about why my doggy constantly rubs his face in our couch. He found that Wrangler has allergies. He gets really itchy mainly on face and ears. He recommended some allergy tablets, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with other options to help him keep from getting so itchy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi everyone! When I took my baby to the vet for his shots and a check up, we asked him about why my doggy constantly rubs his face in our couch. He found that Wrangler has allergies. He gets really itchy mainly on face and ears. He recommended some allergy tablets, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with other options to help him keep from getting so itchy?

It would be helpful to know what the allergies are...food related or environmental.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Itā€™s environmental. His face and ears mainly get itchy and he will scratch for hours. The vet didnā€™t specify if he knew if it was the grass or pollen or what, but itā€™s something outside.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Itā€™s environmental. His face and ears mainly get itchy and he will scratch for hours. The vet didnā€™t specify if he knew if it was the grass or pollen or what, but itā€™s something outside.

Usually ears are a sign from the food. Does his ears or folds is on the smelly side? Does he lick his paws once in a while?

Environmental wouldnā€™t be just the ears or face, would be itchy everywhere.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
I mean he is itchy everywhere, but itā€™s more concentrated in his face. And heā€™s already been checked by the vet and he said it wasnā€™t his food. Heā€™s been on the same food since he was puppy and this is recent. Yes, he licks his paws as well. But my vet already told me it was from allergies from being outside. He takes a daily allergy pill, but I was just wondering if there was anything else I might could do to help. I heard oatmeal soaks were good to soothe itchy skin???

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Also, no his ears or folds donā€™t smell either.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I mean he is itchy everywhere, but itā€™s more concentrated in his face. And heā€™s already been checked by the vet and he said it wasnā€™t his food. Heā€™s been on the same food since he was puppy and this is recent. Yes, he licks his paws as well. But my vet already told me it was from allergies from being outside. He takes a daily allergy pill, but I was just wondering if there was anything else I might could do to help. I heard oatmeal soaks were good to soothe itchy skin???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh I see......How old is Wrangler n what are you feeding him? Just curious.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
He is almost 3. He will be 3 in October. And we feed him and my Boston terrier Beneful healthy weight since they both babies.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Beneful is not a good. If you want to stick to kibble, the commonly recommended are Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature, Earthborn Holistic.

My 6 year old Frenchie has environmental allergies that we have been dealing with since he was 1. He is allergic to everything green outside. I use either Ketohex or Chlorhexidine shampoo which is medicated and won't dry his skin out. I also use chlorhexidine wipes for his armpits, face, paws, legs, etc. But ultimately nothing helped enough to bring him comfort as he would scratch himself raw and would bleed and was always getting yeasty paws so he now gets Cytopoint injections and does not need weekly baths anymore.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with what was said by everyone. Beneful isn't a great dog food, it's a good time to switch to a better quality one as mentioned. Zignature, Earthborne Holistic and Acana Singles are all limited ingredient so less likely to produce problems. Try a different protein than what he's on, if he's not on duck that's a good one to switch to.
Cetirizine ( Zyrtec ) is a good antihistamine, and won't harm dog. Give 0.5 mg/pound ( I wouldn't give more than 20 mg personally ) once daily.
Also give fish oil or krill oil and coconut oil.
If your pet isn't smelly you don't need a medicated shampoo, just wash with a pH balanced mild dog shampoo frequently, and wipe dog's paws and underbelly with an unscented diaper wipe as he enters house.

If problems persist after all this, try switching to a dehydrated raw limited ingredient dog food like Honest Kitchen Spruce, or better yet, to a frozen raw dog food.

And if problems still persist after all that, Cytopoint is the best product for atopic dermatitis.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Thank you. His allergies arenā€™t really severe, I just wanted to try to get it under control so it doesnā€™t worsen and so it just doesnā€™t annoy him all the time. I will try these things and see what works!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. His allergies arenā€™t really severe, I just wanted to try to get it under control so it doesnā€™t worsen and so it just doesnā€™t annoy him all the time. I will try these things and see what works!

Agree with the gang.. Beneful, in fact any big brand corporate food that you can but at a grocery store or big change stores is just a bad choice, not good foods at all.. all fillers and grains.

Go high quality kibble like [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] mentioned

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.