URGENT!!! HELP! FOUND LUMP ON MY DOGS TOE.

Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
044A2F5F-3DE0-4122-B03D-9B883C673F22.jpegD201DA58-BA7F-4C91-9381-7B657D6A496D.jpeg

Has anyone seen anything like this? We have a vet appointment Monday evening but Iā€™m stressing out. I just noticed this lump on my dogs toe last night. Itā€™s about 1/3 inch in diameter and protrudes. It had a black scab on it which I scratched at to make sure it was a tick or bug or something but it was a scab that came off. Itā€™s a bright pink/red right now. Iā€™ve been googling... which I know is a bad idea... but Iā€™m finding very scary things. Heā€™s totally acting normal and it doesnā€™t seem to bother him.

See pics.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 116657View attachment 116656

Has anyone seen anything like this? We have a vet appointment Monday evening but Iā€™m stressing out. I just noticed this lump on my dogs toe last night. Itā€™s about 1/3 inch in diameter and protrudes. It had a black scab on it which I scratched at to make sure it was a tick or bug or something but it was a scab that came off. Itā€™s a bright pink/red right now. Iā€™ve been googling... which I know is a bad idea... but Iā€™m finding very scary things. Heā€™s totally acting normal and it doesnā€™t seem to bother him.

See pics.

Hotspot. Shave the area, clean it with soap n water n let it dry. Not much you can do for hotspots. Cause by trauma and even excessive licking. Give him a good probiotic in his food like fermented sauerkraut/veggies.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hotspot. Shave the area, clean it with soap n water n let it dry. Not much you can do for hotspots. Cause by trauma and even excessive licking. Give him a good probiotic in his food like fermented sauerkraut/veggies.

Its very raised. Is that normal for a hotspot? Its on his back pack. He can lick or bite at it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Great advice, also try washing it with chlorhexidine shampoo once a day, leave on for 5-10 min then wash off. You can also spray it with an antiseptic like Vetricyn or put on an antibiotic ointment after like Nu-Stock or Neosporin. Also try giving benadryl 1mg/pound twice daily to help with itching and to calm him.

It's probably from allergies, so probiotic as mentioned or commercial one like Probiotic Miracle or Proviable DC etc. Going forward try giving cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound every day ( I wouldn't give more than 20 mg )and maybe switch foods. What are you feeding?

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Great advice, also try washing it with chlorhexidine shampoo once a day, leave on for 5-10 min then wash off. You can also spray it with an antiseptic like Vetricyn or put on an antibiotic ointment after like Nu-Stock or Neosporin. Also try giving benadryl 1mg/pound twice daily to help with itching and to calm him.

It's probably from allergies, so probiotic as mentioned or commercial one like Probiotic Miracle or Proviable DC etc. Going forward try giving cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound every day ( I wouldn't give more than 20 mg )and maybe switch foods. What are you feeding?

Thanks for the detailed advice. This bump is on his back paw so he cant really lick or bite at it. Its also very raised. Is that normal for a hotspot?

I m feeding him Acanna Lamb. Would you recommend plain Greek yogurt as a probiotic?

- - - Updated - - -

Its hard to tell in this picture but it sticks out a lot.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little guy. Not sure that is a hotspot, though? Castor had somethng looking very much like that on his chest a few years ago. It appeared out of nowhere and looked like a pimple / sore which was bleeding on and off. We took him to the vet (where they put on a band-aid which of course didn't work on fur :)). They suspected some benign growth and it healed within a week or so but looked like a scary little thing for a few days.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
It is scary. It doesn't seem to irritate him at all. I've been googling and of course you jump to the worst conclusion. It looks very much like Malignant Melanoma which is why I'm freaked out! And it only occurs on the mouth, eyes and paws. Hopefully its nothing serious and the vet will give us answers!

Melanoma-DNM-1.jpg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It is scary. It doesn't seem to irritate him at all. I've been googling and of course you jump to the worst conclusion. It looks very much like Malignant Melanoma which is why I'm freaked out! And it only occurs on the mouth, eyes and paws. Hopefully its nothing serious and the vet will give us answers!

View attachment 116659

Doesn't hurt to get it checked out, to make sure it's nothing serious, but in the meantime try the chlorhexidine, shaving etc. Even it's nothing serious people have reported vets charging them 400.00 to treat a hot spot.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Oh boy! I will pick up some chlorhexidine today. Hopefully they sell it at PetSmart in Canada.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Looks more like Histiocytoma to me. Not dangerous though, benign growth. Will disappear on its own in couple of months, otherwise doctor will recommend removal.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Looks more like Histiocytoma to me. Not dangerous though, benign growth. Will disappear on its own in couple of months, otherwise doctor will recommend removal.

It does look like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

having seen and enlarged the picture, I was also going to say the same-histiocytoma. If so, it is nothing to get upset about. They just seem to show up, and go away on their own.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
having seen and enlarged the picture, I was also going to say the same-histiocytoma. If so, it is nothing to get upset about. They just seem to show up, and go away on their own.

Thank you !

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

YES!!! Histo-thingy is what I call them... lol!

The body absorbs them, and they are harmless

Most Reactions