msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Hello everyone,
Went yesterday to the vet. They shot another Xray. And he still has pneumonia. Vet prescribed a stronger antibiotic for another 7 days. She told me if he gets lethargic and does not want to eat to bring him in earlier. She also ordered a Aerobic culture from a sample she took out of his nose. He is so active and eats. Im so worried.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello everyone,
Went yesterday to the vet. They shot another Xray. And he still has pneumonia. Vet prescribed a stronger antibiotic for another 7 days. She told me if he gets lethargic and does not want to eat to bring him in earlier. She also ordered a Aerobic culture from a sample she took out of his nose. He is so active and eats. Im so worried.

Have you tired steam bath? Hot shower with doors closed and let the steam help clear mucus? Or a vaporizer near where he sleeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Have not tried that yet. I have turned on the diffuse tho. How often should I do it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have not tried that yet. I have turned on the diffuse tho. How often should I do it?

Depending on how he sounds, maybe twice a day at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
When he coughs he sounds like he has mucus in there. Will do. Thanks

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hope he gets better soon !! Usual antibiotics while awaiting sensitivies are amoxicillin/clavulanate 22 mg/kg every 8 h; or Trimethoprim-sulfa 15 mg/kg every 12 h. Antibiotics are usually continued for a week after no pneumonia is showing on X rays. Also saline nebulization several times a day is recommended.
From my vet manual:
Respiratory humidification by inhalation of “cold steam” is best accomplished by having a pet in a closed, unventilated
bathroom (but not in the bath/shower) for 10-15 minutes once to three times a day while a warm shower runs.
This is often followed by coupage, which is a series of brusque pats to both sides of the chest, performed for 10-30
seconds after each humidification session, with the intention of loosening pulmonary secretions and pus to facilitate
expectoration.
Pet owners should only perform these treatments on the recommendation of a veterinarian; they can make a condition
worse if used inappropriately.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thanx Dolly,

The vet prescribed Orbax because the Amoxicilian did not work.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thanx Dolly,

The vet prescribed Orbax because the Amoxicilian did not work.

Sorry to hear the amoxicillin didn't work- once sensitivities are back, try to switch off orbax if possible since it's a quinolone which can cause growth plate, cartilage and tendon problems in puppies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My diffuser is on all day. It shuts off automatically at night. It’s a good 10hr diffuser. Sometimes I will start it later at night so while they are sleeping so they’re breathing the mist while sleeping. In your case your diffuser should be on 24/7 especially at night while he’s sleeping.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Any sensitivities back on the nasal culture? Should only take maximum 48 hr, and it's now 72 hr.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
So the culture results were just given to me today. Meatball has Kennel cough Bordetella Bronchiseptica. :( I also have a chihuahua which I have kept separated from him. She is not showing any symptoms thank God.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So the culture results were just given to me today. Meatball has Kennel cough Bordetella Bronchiseptica. :( I also have a chihuahua which I have kept separated from him. She is not showing any symptoms thank God.
I would recommend switching her off the quinolone ,due to toxicity to puppies, to doxycycline ( although doxycycline will discolour teeth ).
From my vet manual on Bordetella:
Should be based on culture/sensitivity, especially since Bordetella spp. show high level of antimicrobial resistance.Options for empirical treatment pending culture results:
Doxycycline (5 mg/kg PO q 12 h) is the antimicrobial of choice (most Bordetella isolates are susceptibleTreat adults for 14-21 days, young (growing) animals for 7-9 days (reduces risk of discoloration of teethAmoxicillin-clavulanate (12.5-25 mg/kg PO q 12 h); or
Trimethoprim-sulfonamide (15-30 mg/kg PO q 12 h); or
In severe cases, other options include gentamicin, enrofloxacin, and cefazolin.
Antimicrobial therapy helps alleviate clinical signs but does not alter shedding in recovered carriers.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Yes you are absolutely correct. The vet switched him to doxycycline. Thank you sooo much. I am way more calm about it now. :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yes you are absolutely correct. The vet switched him to doxycycline. Thank you sooo much. I am way more calm about it now. :)

Glad to hear he's on right course for pneumonia !
No treatment yet for giardia?? You can try to help diarrhea with some canned pumpkin ( not pie filling type ) in the meantime along with the probiotics.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
No treatment yet for the Giardia. His stool has been harder now as well. Will do the pumpkin. Thanks :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online