msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Hello everyone,
Just purchased a English Bulldog. Took him home and the next day went to the vet. Vet said he looked great. Like 3 days later he developed a bad cough. And started discharging green boogers. I took him to the vet, they shot an Xray and said he has a pneumonia. He also has a parasite called Giardia. I was sent with antibiotics and probiotics. He has been on the antibiotics for 5 days. And he still has the cough but not as much as before. What would you guys recommend to help him get better and to avoid this from happening again? Thanks

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry to hear about all this ! Make sure you wash him and disinfect surroundings every day, although the last day is the most important one if you can't manage every day,
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/prevention-control-pets.html

Avoid kenneling him with a bunch of other animals. Pick up his feces outside. Avoid walking him where other animals have pooped. As much as possible, prevent him from drinking from outdoor water sources.

Strengthen his immune system after with some natural probiotics like milk kefir, live raw sauerkraut from refrigerator section, or continue with doggie probiotic like Proviable DC, Probiotic Miracle etc.

What food is he on?

Try to minimize vaccinations, follow a holistic vet schedule

It's recommended to do a repeat centrifugal flotation test 2-4 weeks after treatment is completed to see if he's cured.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As suggested, get his immune system strengthen and keep him calm. Giardia is tough to beat so be sure to clean up after poo and keep everything washed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Poor baby, I hope he gets well soon.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Since he has pneumonia I havenā€™t been washing him. I did buy some wipes so I clean his bum all the time. I also have a chihuahua and have kept them apart. Food he is on is called Victorā€™s recommended by the breeder, which he loves. He eats and drinks good. He is also filled with energy. Tuesday I will be taking him to the vet to see if he has less liquid in his lungs. The vet said to start treatment for the Giardia after the antibiotics. I am currently also giving him Purina FortiFlora. Thank you for all your recommendations and advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. What do you recommend washing with? I have been using a bit of detergent with vinegar.

- - - Updated - - -

���� thank you. I am so worried.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Since he has pneumonia I havenā€™t been washing him. I did buy some wipes so I clean his bum all the time. I also have a chihuahua and have kept them apart. Food he is on is called Victorā€™s recommended by the breeder, which he loves. He eats and drinks good. He is also filled with energy. Tuesday I will be taking him to the vet to see if he has less liquid in his lungs. The vet said to start treatment for the Giardia after the antibiotics. I am currently also giving him Purina FortiFlora. Thank you for all your recommendations and advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. What do you recommend washing with? I have been using a bit of detergent with vinegar.

- - - Updated - - -

ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ thank you. I am so worried.

It can be any dog shampoo, so as not to dry skin out, you mainly are cleaning back part of dog near anus to wash away any cysts, and do a very thorough job on last day of treatment with medication when the cysts should be gone. I'm surprised vet didn't start treatment with fenbendazole right away for the giardia, it's a very safe drug.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ thank you. I am so worried.

I never heard of Purina FortiFlora. whatever Purina, Royal Canin or Science Hills makes I simply stay away from them companies. Anyhoooo, I went to check out the ingredients and first ingredients itā€™s ā€œanimal digestā€. So I looked it up. Itā€™s dead, dying, diseased, and downed livestock. :nonono:

Read the link below as youā€™ll understand.

Holistic website we members use often.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-you-shouldnt-give-your-dog-fortiflora/

Great probiotic is any fermented veggies or sauerkraut in the fridge section. A good teaspoon per day as heā€™s still young and you can go to a tablespoon at 6months old.

If you have a diffuser n these essential oils below, you can do this recipe as trust me it will clear out all green guk. My diffuser is used everyday. Do NOT use peppermint if you have a cat. Simply remove from list.

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8 drops of Peppermint
8 drops of Lavender
4 drops of tea tree

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
She said she did not want him to be on all these medications at once. Not sure. I will mention the Fenbendazole to her to see what she says. Thank you.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
I read the article. Smh. Thank you so much. I am going to stop that Purina FortiFlora. And you are right I never buy Purina but since the vet recommended it I thought it should not be bad. I do have a diffuser and luckily all those oils. Will turn that on now. I also ordered an air purifier to see if that helps.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I read the article. Smh. Thank you so much. I am going to stop that Purina FortiFlora. And you are right I never buy Purina but since the vet recommended it I thought it should not be bad. I do have a diffuser and luckily all those oils. Will turn that on now. I also ordered an air purifier to see if that helps.

You want a healthy dog??? Just stay away from them brands mentioned. Youā€™ll avoid so many vet visits. Also EB needs a lot more maintenance than most breeds. There is so much good reading on this site youā€™ll realize most of your questions will be answered. Another note is do not give any up coming shots to your dog till he has fully recovered from everything. Wait an extra month. Let his immune system get back on track. No rush. Give the little guy a break.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
My Ellie had Pneumonia, STEAM that Baby, either run a hot shower and let the bathroom fill with steam, or get a vaporizer, and just run with water, and then do some light Coupage (cupping your hand and firmly patting) the sides of that baby, will help break up all that yuck and get it out of the lungs.

Most certainly get updated xrays, at the follow appt.

As for the Girdia I have heard its a toughie, but sounds like you are off to a good start.

I am assuming the Vet gave you the Fortiflora for the Diarrhea, you want to try Pure Pumpkin (not the pie Filling) on top of the food.

Ellie and I send our best, keep us posted.

OP
M

msliza6

Jun 2, 2019
New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thanks. I saw on Youtube the cupping mechanism, just a little afraid to make it worse. I will try it tho thank you so much for your help. Will post an update tomorrow after we see the vet.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I never heard of Purina FortiFlora. whatever Purina, Royal Canin or Science Hills makes I simply stay away from them companies. Anyhoooo, I went to check out the ingredients and first ingredients itā€™s ā€œanimal digestā€. So I looked it up. Itā€™s dead, dying, diseased, and downed livestock. :nonono:

Read the link below as youā€™ll understand.

Holistic website we members use often.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-you-shouldnt-give-your-dog-fortiflora/

Great probiotic is any fermented veggies or sauerkraut in the fridge section. A good teaspoon per day as heā€™s still young and you can go to a tablespoon at 6months old.

If you have a diffuser n these essential oils below, you can do this recipe as trust me it will clear out all green guk. My diffuser is used everyday. Do NOT use peppermint if you have a cat. Simply remove from list.

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8 drops of Peppermint
8 drops of
4 drops of tea tree

I like this article on probiotics in dogs https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/6-best-probiotics-for-dogs/ .

Probably best natural probiotics are milk kefir, or adding some primal defense probiotic https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Whole-Probiotic-Supplement/dp/B000GWG8FS?th=1 to some raw goats milk from a pet shop.

Or if you are mega rich, give your dog a fecal transplant- 195.00 a bottle. ( just kidding about this )
https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/doggybiome-gut-health-restoration-system-2?utm_source=dogsnaturally&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=text-link&utm_content=best-probiotics&variant=11396373184559

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I like this article on probiotics in dogs https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/6-best-probiotics-for-dogs/ .

Probably best natural probiotics are milk kefir, or adding some primal defense probiotic https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Whole-Probiotic-Supplement/dp/B000GWG8FS?th=1 to some raw goats milk from a pet shop.

Or if you are mega rich, give your dog a fecal transplant- 195.00 a bottle. ( just kidding about this )
https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/doggybiome-gut-health-restoration-system-2?utm_source=dogsnaturally&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=text-link&utm_content=best-probiotics&variant=11396373184559

I gave kefir to the pups n an hour later Duke had hives. Odd cause itā€™s not the first time he has kefir. I will re-introduce it to him in about a week. If it does the same means kefir out for him. Really weird though.

And fecal transplant....just the thought of it hell no! Wouldnā€™t care if it was free. Lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I gave kefir to the pups n an hour later Duke had hives. Odd cause itā€™s not the first time he has kefir. I will re-introduce it to him in about a week. If it does the same means kefir out for him. Really weird though.

And fecal transplant....just the thought of it hell no! Wouldnā€™t care if it was free. Lol

Odd that he got hives. I have water kefir grains in my house, because I got tired of buying milk for the milk kefir and its sour taste and switched to water kefir before I even got my dog. She doesn't seem to like the water from the kefir too much, so I just feed her the grains directly. She loves them, but does seem to sneeze a lot after if I give her too many to eat, I'm guessing because their jelly like consistency tickles her throat.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.