Allergies underneath the paw pad

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Hi everyone...

Wanted to see if any of you have had allergies in your bulldogs feet. Princess has never had allergies until recently. But if you look in between her digits of her paw pads, the front two paws have been red and inflammed. And sometimes it seems like it can be painful to walk. I took her to the vet and he said it was allergies and with some yeast in her little feet:(

So I have tried the Prednisone with allergy pills and some pads that I wipe her feet with. And I even put some powder in her feet to keep them dry. Do any of yall have any suggestions? Maybe I need to just wait for the pollens to ease up and will get better? Its been going on for at least 3 months! I am about to start her on Fish Oil as well...

Help...Miss P/Princess

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Has she been licking her feet alot? Common symptoms of allergies is watery eyes, licking the paws, scratching. My Samson has allergies and experiences all those symptoms, during certain times of the year its minimal while other times like right now he has been licking at his feet quite a bit. It is allergy season and I know the pollen count is super high here in southern california. We manage Samson's allergies with a fish based food, (he did good on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fromm Surf & Turf in the past, now we are on Natures Variety Instinct salmon formula), as prescribed by our vet the antihistamine atarax twice daily, adding salmon oil to his food and using a hypoallergenic shampoo at bath time only (perfume & soap free). Thats what has worked best for us, hope that helps. I know it's a tough thing to manage at times especially during the allergy season :(

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
are they interdigital cysts or just red? if cysts the soaking in epsom salt makes a world of difference. If there has been no change in food or anything like that then it probably is seasonal. If you have made any somewhat recent changes in the last couple months look at what they were and try to change again.

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
We have been dealing with the same problem for about 6 months now. If she doesn't have swollen bumps on her feet now (interdigital cysts) PLEASE watch out for them - Sarge's were so bad we had to have surgery and have been dealing with all kinds of problems since. We switched Sarge to NVI salmon and it seems to be helping with the yeast infections and we are finally starting to see some improvement with the other infections.

Does anybody know if the colloidal silver helps with the yeast infections too? We bought that for Sarge and it cleared up his feet very well - I bought the spray for Sarge from Earthfare but you can also order online.

Good luck!

OP
Erika

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Thanks for responding. She licks her paws sometimes. She has actually gotten better about not licking them. Her diet has not changed at all. I think I will start her on some fish oil and if that doesnt help, I may switch her to a fish based food like one of you had mentioned. She doesnt scratch a lot ethier. But the pollen count is high here in Austin as well.

And it's not Interdigital cyst. She has had those and I've soaked her paws in the Epsom salt before. The redness and swelling is under her paws & between her digits. It's funny because its only happening on her front two paws. The vet did say to try to wipe off her paws with a baby wipe everytime she comes back into the house to get the pollen off her feet...but thats hard to do everytime.

Alright well thanks everyone! It may be just waiting for the pollens to go down!

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

I have never heard of collodial silver for yeast infections. But I will keep it in mind in the future. I'm glad Sarge's interdigital cyst are better! Those cyst can be hard to get rid of! I got to where in the summer when Princess does lick her feet, I tell her no paw licking and she stops. The more she would lick her feet, the more they would appear:(

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well if it is just seasonal allergies you may want to try benedryl. Does she mostly lick at night or all day? If just at night then maybe benedryl an hour before bed or so? My boy licks when he is going to bed and with him I think it is more habit cuz he has to do it every night. DRIVES ME NUTS. haha. He also stops when I say no lick thankfully. As for benedryl it is fine for pups, 25mg. (1 pill) per 25 pounds. Just make sure it is the regular benedryl and nothing with tylenol.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We have been dealing with the same problem for about 6 months now. If she doesn't have swollen bumps on her feet now (interdigital cysts) PLEASE watch out for them - Sarge's were so bad we had to have surgery and have been dealing with all kinds of problems since. We switched Sarge to NVI salmon and it seems to be helping with the yeast infections and we are finally starting to see some improvement with the other infections.

Does anybody know if the colloidal silver helps with the yeast infections too? We bought that for Sarge and it cleared up his feet very well - I bought the spray for Sarge from Earthfare but you can also order online.

Good luck!

Yes, I've heard people also use colloidal silver to fight off yeast infections. Some people use it as an anti-fungal and anti-microbial remedy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online