General Question Car Travel

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My female EB Bella doesnā€™t enjoy car rides, she gets all worked up so I avoid taking her in the car. I have tried sitting in the car with her parked in the driveway with the engine not running and with the engine running but that hadnā€™t worked. The problem I have now is that we have a tiny home in a campground about a 2 hour drive away and we want to take her with us so I assume my only option is to give her something that will relax her. She was taking 75mg of Benadryl daily to relieve inching caused by a skin problem (thatā€™s another story) but the Benadryl doesnā€™t relax her at all so I am wondering what else I can use to relax her for a couple of hours. She weighs 36kgs or 80lbs, I also need to know the dosage amount of whatever else may work. Thank you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My female EB Bella doesnā€™t enjoy car rides, she gets all worked up so I avoid taking her in the car. I have tried sitting in the car with her parked in the driveway with the engine not running and with the engine running but that hadnā€™t worked. The problem I have now is that we have a tiny home in a campground about a 2 hour drive away and we want to take her with us so I assume my only option is to give her something that will relax her. She was taking 75mg of Benadryl daily to relieve inching caused by a skin problem (thatā€™s another story) but the Benadryl doesnā€™t relax her at all so I am wondering what else I can use to relax her for a couple of hours. She weighs 36kgs or 80lbs, I also need to know the dosage amount of whatever else may work. Thank you.

My GS I use to give gravol

https://www.parkroadvet.com/can-i-give-my-pet/

Duke loves to ride but Nyala never did. She actually has no choice but to tag along. So she ends up doing the ā€œostrichā€. Sticks her head between the door n seat n stays like that. After an hour she sticks her head out to see whatā€™s happening. Lol. She sure found it long when I crossed Canada a few times. Regarding gravol, my GS it never worked on him. He would over power it. Maybe might work on yours. Idk.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My GS I use to give gravol

https://www.parkroadvet.com/can-i-give-my-pet/

Duke loves to ride but Nyala never did. She actually has no choice but to tag along. So she ends up doing the ā€œostrichā€. Sticks her head between the door n seat n stays like that. After an hour she sticks her head out to see whatā€™s happening. Lol. She sure found it long when I crossed Canada a few times. Regarding gravol, my GS it never worked on him. He would over power it. Maybe might work on yours. Idk.

The drooling ostrich, yes I have seen that pose every time Bella has been in the car. If I donā€™t hear of another idea Iā€™ll try the gravol but I believe Bella will overpower it as well. Do you have any suggestions on the gravol dosage ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The drooling ostrich, yes I have seen that pose every time Bella has been in the car. If I donā€™t hear of another idea Iā€™ll try the gravol but I believe Bella will overpower it as well. Do you have any suggestions on the gravol dosage ?

Hereā€™s a better link. My GS was 125lbs he would take as a human dose. You can also give Benadryl. Another important note on gravol for everyone is DONT buy quick dissolved as it contains xylitol!!!

If itā€™s only 2hr drive why donā€™t you exercise her before leaving like a good long walk, playing non stop. Like burn her energy. Thatā€™s the way I would go before meds. My GS didnā€™t relax because I was crossing 4 provinces in Canada. But he did have anxiety. Once on the hwy he would lay down. I had a barrier in the back so he doesnā€™t disturb our driving. But seriously try burning her energy and see how that goes.

718AB775-D3C5-4FE4-B516-8999A3F7414D.jpeg

https://www.cuteness.com/article/dramamine-dosage-dogs

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hereā€™s a better link. My GS was 125lbs he would take as a human dose. You can also give Benadryl. Another important note on gravol for everyone is DONT buy quick dissolved as it contains xylitol!!!

If itā€™s only 2hr drive why donā€™t you exercise her before leaving like a good long walk, playing non stop. Like burn her energy. Thatā€™s the way I would go before meds. My GS didnā€™t relax because I was crossing 4 provinces in Canada. But he did have anxiety. Once on the hwy he would lay down. I had a barrier in the back so he doesnā€™t disturb our driving. But seriously try burning her energy and see how that goes.

View attachment 116566

https://www.cuteness.com/article/dramamine-dosage-dogs

I'll try exercise but she is a 10 year old lazy girl who doesn't play any longer and isn't a walker.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We had the same issue with our Banks.. she hated the car and we tired every thing to help settle her down... we ended up using Xanax which just relaxed her enough to limit the anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We had the same issue with our Banks.. she hated the car and we tired every thing to help settle her down... we ended up using Xanax which just relaxed her enough to limit the anxiety.

Thank you

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Bella is 80lbs, if I decide to give her human Xanax do you happen to know how much I should give her ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bella is 80lbs, if I decide to give her human Xanax do you happen to know how much I should give her ?

Banks was 62-65 lbs. and it was a half tablet... Iā€™ll have to look in her files for the prescribed dosage

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online