Help Needed! Bellas stomach

Bellasdad19

May 13, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello there!
I recently got my bulldog on the 3rd of May, I was told by the breeder that she was on Ava puppy food which is a dry food, so I was giving her that as directed, but her bowels were always very loose, one of the days she went for a total of 21 poos in a day! Now Iā€™ve have dogs before and never had this problem so I thought it must have been the food, so I changed her food to royal canine bulldog puppy, as with my other breeds Iā€™ve never had a problem with that brand I got given some paste to help settle Bellas stomach from the vets, and that seemed to have worked her poops were becoming more solid and the less she would go threw the day, but now she has loose poo again and it seems like sheā€™s just forcing anything she can out, sheā€™s still on the paste for another 4 days, but Iā€™m just wondering is it the food again? Or is this common in British bulldog puppies as she is fine in her self and the vet said she was fine it was food related issue.

Any advice or help would be appreciated

Many thanks
Bellas dad
x AD1E07D6-7A5D-4CAD-B10E-2BDEEB10C81D.jpeg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This is NOT normal. Did they check her poo for parasites (lamblia, gyardia etc)? If it was done, and it is cleared it is food related. RC is one of the lowest quality kibble. Fromm, Acana are considered better. Consider also raw or frozen food, that would be much better.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
What a cute dog !!! Sorry to hear what you are going through? Did vet check her poo for giardia and coccidia ?For giardia she would normally take fenbendazole and possibly metronidazole, for coccidia she would take a sulfa antibiotic. Sounds like Bella is taking a probiotic paste? Once she's finished it you can try a more natural probiotic like milk kefir, live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, Danactive yoghurt etc.

Royal Canine is not best brand out there, but you should keep her on it until the poo problems go away. Some of our British members can recommend brands, but just from reading on the Internet ( I don't live in UK ) I think the cold pressed ones eg. Tribal sound a little healthier than the plain dog kibble brands.

OP
B

Bellasdad19

May 13, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey guys thank you so much for the reply they didnā€™t check her poo, I did ask the vet if she needed to and she said no, and to be fair she was very rude, I have now made a vet appointment with a different vets and hopefully I can get this resolved for her, I will defiantly look into a better diet for Bella as soon as her stomach has settled. Thank you again for your help and taking the time to respond.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree... she needs to have her poo tested for parasites. I hope you have better luck w/the new vet!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Could it be that you are feeding her way too much food? What her young body cannot normally process must go somewhere. How much are you feeding her?
Ava Puppy seems to be decent food from what I saw in the ingredient list.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would definitely start with getting a fecal test done for parasites as it is not uncommon for puppies to come home with some sort of parasite. It could also be too much food and stress of a new home. As stated, RC is not a high quality kibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Good decision to change vet! Stress cannot cause 21 poos a day, no way guys! You need a good vet! For bulldogs it can be question of life and death, good vet.
Please, someone tag for BellasDad our British members, may someone can recommend local vets?...ZedSded is from UK, and some other guys.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hello there!
I recently got my bulldog on the 3rd of May, I was told by the breeder that she was on Ava puppy food which is a dry food, so I was giving her that as directed, but her bowels were always very loose, one of the days she went for a total of 21 poos in a day! Now Iā€™ve have dogs before and never had this problem so I thought it must have been the food, so I changed her food to royal canine bulldog puppy, as with my other breeds Iā€™ve never had a problem with that brand I got given some paste to help settle Bellas stomach from the vets, and that seemed to have worked her poops were becoming more solid and the less she would go threw the day, but now she has loose poo again and it seems like sheā€™s just forcing anything she can out, sheā€™s still on the paste for another 4 days, but Iā€™m just wondering is it the food again? Or is this common in British bulldog puppies as she is fine in her self and the vet said she was fine it was food related issue.

Any advice or help would be appreciated

Many thanks
Bellas dad
xView attachment 116370

Castor says hi to Bella! Just want to add that two UK food brands that Castor has done well on are James Wellbeloved (lamb and rice) and Canagan (country game).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN... Bella is adorable! Love her freaked ears!!

New vet, check for parasites, and get off RC, not a very good food.

Also, how much are you feeding per meal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bellasdad19

May 13, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey everyone thanks so much for all your support it means a lot,

The new vets went very well! You could tell the difference from the minute you walked threw the door and the staff were all so caring.
They gave Bella a high quality worming tablet,
And put her on a vet digestive food for a few days to help settle her stomach.
The vet also gave me three sample pots to do over three days and take back in for the lab to test.
Her poos have since gone from mush to solid! So I am very pleased and fingers crossed we are in the right track,
I was only feeding her three small bowls a day, as she was on 4 meals a day before I got her which I felt was far to much.

Thanks for letting me know that RC is not decent food as I want her to be on the best diet and will defiantly look into changing her food again once she has settled as I donā€™t want to keep changing until her stomach is under control.

Thanks again for all your help.

1F78A69A-4240-4C6B-B74D-5A7BA1E7DAAF.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey everyone thanks so much for all your support it means a lot,

The new vets went very well! You could tell the difference from the minute you walked threw the door and the staff were all so caring.
They gave Bella a high quality worming tablet,
And put her on a vet digestive food for a few days to help settle her stomach.
The vet also gave me three sample pots to do over three days and take back in for the lab to test.
Her poos have since gone from mush to solid! So I am very pleased and fingers crossed we are in the right track,
I was only feeding her three small bowls a day, as she was on 4 meals a day before I got her which I felt was far to much.

Thanks for letting me know that RC is not decent food as I want her to be on the best diet and will defiantly look into changing her food again once she has settled as I donā€™t want to keep changing until her stomach is under control.

Thanks again for all your help.

View attachment 116391

My goodness she is a beautiful girl!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey guys thank you so much for the reply they didnā€™t check her poo, I did ask the vet if she needed to and she said no, and to be fair she was very rude, I have now made a vet appointment with a different vets and hopefully I can get this resolved for her, I will defiantly look into a better diet for Bella as soon as her stomach has settled. Thank you again for your help and taking the time to respond.

You have Acana in U.K. switch to that and youā€™ll be fine...only pet food that has tripe in it so great probiotic. Itā€™s a 5star rated dog food. Try the puppy Acana/orijen see how it goes. Or get the one protein per bag. Simply add a teaspoon of EVOO OR COCONUT OIL to one meal only. One protein bag is great to track any protein allergies. Btw Add oils ONLY if itā€™s not a puppy food.

Home - ACANA UK

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Glad that you're getting all the great help for Bella and BOY IS SHE STUNNING!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.