RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Those puppies can be registered only in to "Not for breeding" registery, if they try to register them at all.

That’s as good as anyone could expect from a top notch breeder. Thank you for setting the bar high.
Back to the breathing test...what happens if someone fails the test and breeds anyway. Are there any repercussions, penalties with “teeth”?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
This walk test is the only one that is mandatory at the moment, but I have also x-rayed bones, tested eyes, heart, knees and DNA with HUU and Cystinuria. DNA test came also with colour, no undesired colours. They have no allergies.

Do you know if they check if the dog has gone through brachycephalic surgery before they do the walk test? Although such surgery would mask inherited breathing problems, the problems would still be passed on to future generations. When we bought Castor, the breeder said the parents had no breathing problems, but who knows if they had gone through surgery.

And bulldogs that have gone through brachycephalic surgery can participate in dog shows, can they not?

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you know if they check if the dog has gone through brachycephalic surgery before they do the walk test? Although such surgery would mask inherited breathing problems, the problems would still be passed on to future generations. When we bought Castor, the breeder said the parents had no breathing problems, but who knows if they had gone through surgery.

And bulldogs that have gone through brachycephalic surgery can participate in dog shows, can they not?

No, it is not checked. Not before the test or for shows. Operated dogs are not allowed to attend shows or take the walk test, but it is not verified in any way. Unfortunately even with mating two dogs without health issues it is not guaranteed 100% that their offspring will not develope any. No one can ever guarantee that, not with any breed.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
No, it is not checked. Not before the test or for shows. Operated dogs are not allowed to attend shows or take the walk test, but it is not verified in any way. Unfortunately even with mating two dogs without health issues it is not guaranteed 100% that their offspring will not develope any. No one can ever guarantee that, not with any breed.

Good that operated dogs are not allowed to attend shows (although it cannot be verified)!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
This is wonderful news!! What a fantastic bully mom you must be:)

Do they have these same types of test in the states ? It may be strict but from the sounds of it they are ensuring healthy breeding and I am all for that!
Sure would be nice to get one of your beautiful future pups. I'm thinking it might be a long journey though :yes4:

Kylli and Tasto sure are gorgeous!! :p

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
This is wonderful news!! What a fantastic bully mom you must be:)

Do they have these same types of test in the states ? It may be strict but from the sounds of it they are ensuring healthy breeding and I am all for that!
Sure would be nice to get one of your beautiful future pups. I'm thinking it might be a long journey though :yes4:

Kylli and Tasto sure are gorgeous!! :p

Thank you for your kind words. Bulldogs are my life.

Nothing in the states is mandatory, but when looking for a puppy you should look for the breeders that have had their bulldogs health tested. In the states there is a BCA Ambassador for Health program. You can find more information on the Bulldog Club of America's web page.

Introduction to Bulldog Health

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
They’re beautiful!!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online