RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hi guys! I haven't posted anything for awhile, but I would like to share with you one of the highlights of my spring if not my life. In Finland for breeding we have a manditory health test and my two youngest attented the test last weekend. The dog has to walk one kilometer in less 12 minutes. The bodytemperature is measured in the start, right after the walk and after 15 minutes of recovery. The dog must not get heated above 39,3C and must recover to the same state as before the walk. Also the respiratory noises are assessed before, during and after to determine the BOAS (brachycephalic airway syndrome) rating 0-3.
My Kylli DSC_0606 (2).jpg passed the test with ease and was BOAS -1. She had only very slight noise in rest, but not when walking.
My TaistoDSC_0635 (2).JPGpassed the test with ease and was BOAS 0, so no noises and signs of BOAS at all at any time. At the moment there is only a couple of male bulldogs in Finland who have the same. To put that in to perspective we have had about 125 bulldogs tested in total.
Anyway this surpasses any imaginable show result that they could ever achieve. They have now had with good results all the necessary tests and maybe there will be pups next fall.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Congratulations - fantastic results! And how good that such tests are mandatory. I wonder if such have been implemented in Sweden too?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Congrats! Your babies are gorgeous and healthy too! Great couple you have ! Within what range must be ambient temperature for this health test?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
That is awesome news!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is freakin awesome.. Congratulations... all your babies are gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What fantastic news!! Your fur babies are absolutely beautiful! :yes: What a harsh country but on the other hand, it’s understandable. They’re doing their job.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Congrats! Your babies are gorgeous and healthy too! Great couple you have ! Within what range must be ambient temperature for this health test?
Thank you. Just to stay underneath 39,3 and show that the dog recovers from the exercise in that 15 minutes. My bullies stayed well below 39 and recovered fully to normal 38C in 15 minutes.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
@RiiSi Congratulations - fantastic results! And how good that such tests are mandatory. I wonder if such have been implemented in Sweden too?

Thank you. I think the same or something similar will be implemented in all the nordic countries within a couple of years.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thank you. Just to stay underneat 39,3 and show that the dog recovers from the exercise in that 15 minutes. My bullies stayed well below 39 and recovered fully to normal 38C in 15 minutes.
I wanted to ask what is the range of ambient temperature for the test, I mean outside, because obviously if it +15 Celsius, it is one story, but if it is +25 it is different. At what air temperature the tests can be held? I want to test Tank:D

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
The test is done indoors and the temperature must be between 15-25C. At our test the temp was 19C. It can be done outdoors too, but then the weather and temperature would play even a bigger role. 25C would be far too warm, indoors and out.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The test is done indoors and the temperature must be between 15-25C. At our trst the temp was 19C. It can be done outdoors too, but then the weather and temperature would play even bigger role. 25C would be far too warm, indoors and out.
Oh super, thank you, this is what I wanted to know!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you. I think the same or something similar will implemented in all nordic countries within a couple of years.

Sounds good - . Although I find it difficult to even think of another dog than Castor, if we ever would get another bulldog, we would very much like to buy one from your future litters.

Hope Voitto is doing well too.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I think the idea of the testing is fantastic. And this particular test is great.
Are there any other tests being given...or under consideration?
Genetic testing perhaps?
Do they look for bad hips, elbows?

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the idea of the testing is fantastic. And this particular test is great.
Are there any other tests being given...or under consideration?
Genetic testing perhaps?
Do they look for bad hips, elbows?

This walk test is the only one that is mandatory at the moment, but I have also x-rayed bones, tested eyes, heart, knees and DNA with HUU and Cystinuria. DNA test came also with colour, no undesired colours. They have no allergies.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This walk test is the only one that is mandatory at the moment, but I have also x-rayed bones, tested eyes, heart, knees and DNA with HUU and Cystinuria. DNA test came also with colour, no undesired colours. They have no allergies.
That’s as good as anyone could expect from a top notch breeder. Thank you for setting the bar high.
Back to the breathing test...what happens if someone fails the test and breeds anyway. Are there any repercussions, penalties with “teeth”?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online