Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Same reply to you:

I know of Gateway, I had no idea Gateway in Dartmouth sold raw dog food. I never heard of Crazy Dog before but I see they are within an hour of where I live.

I used to feed Acana but changed some time ago although I never had my dogs try the duck and pear, I may try that.

Any idea if you can change from kibble to raw right away or should it be done gradually like changing kibble ?

The CrazyDog food site only seems to have two complete mixes, 1)beef and 2)chicken/pork. The Gateway site doesn't seem to have any complete mixes.

You can 1)go from kibble to raw right away
or: 2) give kibble for one meal and raw for the other meal for a week overlap. I find my dog is more likely to throw up with the morning meal, so if you start with raw for only one meal a day, start with the evening meal. My dog is more likely to throw up a raw food meal than a kibble meal.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Same reply to you:

I know of Gateway, I had no idea Gateway in Dartmouth sold raw dog food. I never heard of Crazy Dog before but I see they are within an hour of where I live.

I used to feed Acana but changed some time ago although I never had my dogs try the duck and pear, I may try that.

Any idea if you can change from kibble to raw right away or should it be done gradually like changing kibble ?

If itā€™s kibbles you want to stick to yes definitely Acana. One protein per bag so you can monitor allergies IF any. But I sure would go straight to raw. No transition needed if youā€™re going all raw. I never had issues with any of mine going straight to raw. A lot in here either. You might get the occasion one like Dollyā€™s but heh it can happen. Boils down Bella has some kind of skin issues. Just go raw n jump the kibbles for time being. By removing the kibbles out from her diet n go raw, youā€™ll see results or pinpoint the problem much faster. Check out some butchers too. I know like the rest of Canada but more the Maritimes gets a lot more snow n Iā€™m sure you donā€™t want to drive an hour in winter for dog food. Just a thought.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The CrazyDog food site only seems to have two complete mixes, 1)beef and 2)chicken/pork. The Gateway site doesn't seem to have any complete mixes.

You can 1)go from kibble to raw right away
or: 2) give kibble for one meal and raw for the other meal for a week overlap. I find my dog is more likely to throw up with the morning meal, so if you start with raw for only one meal a day, start with the evening meal. My dog is more likely to throw up a raw food meal than a kibble meal.

If I start the switch I hope Bella doesn't throw up either meal, lol.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
If itā€™s kibbles you want to stick to yes definitely Acana. One protein per bag so you can monitor allergies IF any. But I sure would go straight to raw. No transition needed if youā€™re going all raw. I never had issues with any of mine going straight to raw. A lot in here either. You might get the occasion one like Dollyā€™s but heh it can happen. Boils down Bella has some kind of skin issues. Just go raw n jump the kibbles for time being. By removing the kibbles out from her diet n go raw, youā€™ll see results or pinpoint the problem much faster. Check out some butchers too. I know like the rest of Canada but more the Maritimes gets a lot more snow n Iā€™m sure you donā€™t want to drive an hour in winter for dog food. Just a thought.

I will call Totally Raw today, if the owner is around she is a great person to talk to about going raw. I will let you know what I decide.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I will call Totally Raw today, if the owner is around she is a great person to talk to about going raw. I will let you know what I decide.

Cool!! Anyway, no matter what raw is healthier.

Try to start with single protein till Bella has done them all so youā€™ll know what she can n cannot have. After that itā€™s a breeze. :)

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Cool!! Anyway, no matter what raw is healthier.

Try to start with single protein till Bella has done them all so youā€™ll know what she can n cannot have. After that itā€™s a breeze. :)

How long would you suggest I try one protein before going to a second protein, a week maybe ?

I am going today to purchase 30 days worth of raw food from Totally Raw, I am thinking about buying 1 box (30 patties) of beef, pork and lamb which will give me 90 patties at 3 patties per day that is 30 days worth.

I think by having more than one protein in the freezer I have a backup in case she doesn't like one or has trouble with one of them.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
How long would you suggest I try one protein before going to a second protein, a week maybe ?

I am going today to purchase 30 days worth of raw food from Totally Raw, I am thinking about buying 1 box (30 patties) of beef, pork and lamb which will give me 90 patties at 3 patties per day that is 30 days worth.

I think by having more than one protein in the freezer I have a backup in case she doesn't like one or has trouble with one of them.

Takes about a couple weeks to see any issues and that is ā€œifā€ there is any. Iā€™m sure all will go well. Keep us posted :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

You can also buy commercial frozen raw brands which are found in pet stores, usually specialty or boutique ones. If you are in Nova Scotia, not sure if you are near Planet Paws Pet Essentials. Rodney Habib is awesome and it is his store. I also know someone that works there. They would be a great resource if you have any questions about feeding raw.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You can also buy commercial frozen raw brands which are found in pet stores, usually specialty or boutique ones. If you are in Nova Scotia, not sure if you are near Planet Paws Pet Essentials. Rodney Habib is awesome and it is his store. I also know someone that works there. They would be a great resource if you have any questions about feeding raw.

Thank you, I live handy Peggys Cove, I just looked up Planet Paws Pet Essentials, they are in Dartmouth which isn't a big deal for me, I am in that area often. I purchased a months worth of raw food from Totally Raw today and will be starting Bella on it in the morning. I will try her on the beef for 10 days and then pork or lamb for the next 10 days.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you, I live handy Peggys Cove, I just looked up Planet Paws Pet Essentials, they are in Dartmouth which isn't a big deal for me, I am in that area often. I purchased a months worth of raw food from Totally Raw today and will be starting Bella on it in the morning. I will try her on the beef for 10 days and then pork or lamb for the next 10 days.

Let us know how she does !

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It has been 2 days, 4 meals and everything is good so far, Bella loves the beef.

I stopped giving Bella the oregano drops when she started taking the antibiotics on October 3rd, now that she finished the 2 weeks of antibiotics I havenā€™t started giving her the oregano drops again because I wanted to see how she was doing with just the raw food. I am still giving her the omega 3 fish oil every morning with her breakfast,

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It has been 2 days, 4 meals and everything is good so far, Bella loves the beef.

I stopped giving Bella the oregano drops when she started taking the antibiotics on October 3rd, now that she finished the 2 weeks of antibiotics I havenā€™t started giving her the oregano drops again because I wanted to see how she was doing with just the raw food. I am still giving her the omega 3 fish oil every morning with her breakfast,

Good update! OOO can be given on occasion but yes youā€™re doing it right, see how raw goes without adding too much of this n that.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Good morning Bullie lovers, it has been 10 days since Bella started on the raw food from Totally Raw. Bella loves the food, so far she has only been eating the beef and tripe, she is getting two meals per day, each meal is a full beef pattie and a quarter tripe pattie which is 1/2 a pattie under Totally Rawā€™s guide amount to feed for the day but she could stand to lose a few lbs so I think 2.5 patties is fine for her. There were some comments made about her getting sick, she hasnā€™t gotten sick since she has been on the raw food. The biggest difference that I see is the amount of stool and the number of times she has a stool movement, both have decreased dramatically. I continue to give her the omega 3 fish oil with breakfast daily and yesterday I started giving her 3 drops of oregano oil with both meals. Regarding the skin problem it seems to have slowed down, she has a couple of small spots on her back and chest which I am putting NuStock on, I will keep a close eye on her skin and hopefully it doesnā€™t get any worse. It appears to me that the raw food has been a positive change for her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great progress!!! So happy to hear the raw is working... it did great things for our guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.