B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello everyone, for those of you in Canada Happy Thanksgiving.

It is 5 or 6 months since Bella’s last staph issue but this morning I noticed one small staph bump on her back and when she went out this morning she rubbed her side along the railing going in the kennel, sure signs of the return of staph. This is so disappointing because her coat is the best it has ever been, I believe as a result of the omega-3 fish oil (2080mg 1430mg EPA/570mg DHA) and the vitamin E every 3rd day. I will try to nip this in the butt before it gets any further but the only thing I know to do is to get some fermented sauerkraut and milk kefir, I am open to suggestions.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

It is 5 or 6 months since Bella’s last staph issue but this morning I noticed one small staph bump on her back and when she went out this morning she rubbed her side along the railing going in the kennel, sure signs of the return of staph. This is so disappointing because her coat is the best it has ever been, I believe as a result of the omega-3 fish oil (2080mg 1430mg EPA/570mg DHA) and the vitamin E every 3rd day. I will try to nip this in the butt before it gets any further but the only thing I know to do is to get some fermented sauerkraut and milk kefir, I am open to suggestions.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I think you got it cover. Have you stopped the omega n going back to it?

Definitely keep the gut flora clean so her immune system can fight whatever’s trying to kick in. Also try to find the green smelly tripe in the frozen section of a pet shop. Cut the patty in 4 pieces n give one a day as a snack. Best probiotic you can get in food. Fir dogs that is loll...

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I think you got it cover. Have you stopped the omega n going back to it?

Definitely keep the gut flora clean so her immune system can fight whatever’s trying to kick in. Also try to find the green smelly tripe in the frozen section of a pet shop. Cut the patty in 4 pieces n give one a day as a snack. Best probiotic you can get in food. Fir dogs that is loll...

Thank you for your reply.
Once I started giving Bella the omega I never stopped, she gets one capsule emptied on her food every morning.

Bella also gets Totally Raw’s frozen green tripe twice a day and has been for a couple of years.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your reply.
Once I started giving Bella the omega I never stopped, she gets one capsule emptied on her food every morning.

Bella also gets Totally Raw’s frozen green tripe twice a day and has been for a couple of years.

I must of mis-read....

A staph infection occurs often when a dog licks, scratches, or chews a part of his body till the skin becomes irritated. Also occurs in dogs that have fleas or allergies to certain foods, medications, or environmental. So basically your dog cannot reach his back so licking there is off that maybe. I recall Nyala doing the scratching along the fence. She would do that especially after bathing her. She just basically smelled bad n I would bathe her once a month. I changed her diet to raw n she stopped. Staph is like that million dollar question. Bare in mind everywhere in Canada our weather is getting much colder especially at nights. Environmental can kick in. You mentioned she eats raw tripe, what else she eats?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Sorry to hear ! Wash in and leave on for 10-15 min before rinsing off, either the chlorhexidine shampoo, or if you don't have that, betadine shampoo. Then dry and put on antibiotic ointment like NuStock, fucidin or bactroban . It's probably some fall allergen like mold. If it's spreading clip the fur.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I must of mis-read....

A staph infection occurs often when a dog licks, scratches, or chews a part of his body till the skin becomes irritated. Also occurs in dogs that have fleas or allergies to certain foods, medications, or environmental. So basically your dog cannot reach his back so licking there is off that maybe. I recall Nyala doing the scratching along the fence. She would do that especially after bathing her. She just basically smelled bad n I would bathe her once a month. I changed her diet to raw n she stopped. Staph is like that million dollar question. Bare in mind everywhere in Canada our weather is getting much colder especially at nights. Environmental can kick in. You mentioned she eats raw tripe, what else she eats?

I am calling it staph but I may be wrong, years ago the vet said it was SFA (seasonal flank alopecia), whatever it is called it is the same every time it happens. I have noticed it earlier this time then I usually do so I am hoping that is a plus because I can start treating it early. For breakfast and supper Bella eats 1 cup of Fromm’s lamp and lentil kibble, a quarter tripe patty and Omega 3 with breakfast.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Sorry to hear ! Wash in and leave on for 10-15 min before rinsing off, either the chlorhexidine shampoo, or if you don't have that, betadine shampoo. Then dry and put on antibiotic ointment like NuStock, fucidin or bactroban . It's probably some fall allergen like mold. If it's spreading clip the fur.

I have NuStock, I picked it up the the States in May when she last had the skin problem, it worked, on the 3rd dose her hair started growing back. I only used it where the hair had fallen out.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I am calling it staph but I may be wrong, years ago the vet said it was SFA (seasonal flank alopecia), whatever it is called it is the same every time it happens. I have noticed it earlier this time then I usually do so I am hoping that is a plus because I can start treating it early. For breakfast and supper Bella eats 1 cup of Fromm’s lamp and lentil kibble, a quarter tripe patty and Omega 3 with breakfast.

There a way you can put her 100% raw for a month to see what happens?

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
There a way you can put her 100% raw for a month to see what happens?

I have had a feeling for awhile that I should be feeding her raw instead of kibble, it is just easier to buy and feed kibble, I know that isn’t a good enough reason but it is being honest. With the amount of money this Fromm’s lamb and lentil kibble is costing me plus all of the other stuff I am guessing feeding raw wouldn’t cost me any more money.

When you say raw do you mean buying food from a place like Totally Raw or making our own dog food ?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have had a feeling for awhile that I should be feeding her raw instead of kibble, it is just easier to buy and feed kibble, I know that isn’t a good enough reason but it is being honest. With the amount of money this Fromm’s lamb and lentil kibble is costing me plus all of the other stuff I am guessing feeding raw wouldn’t cost me any more money.

When you say raw do you mean buying food from a place like Totally Raw or making our own dog food ?

You can buy premade raw possibly cheaper from CrazyDog https://crazydog.pet/raw

Or you can make your own buy raw dog food supplies from Gateway meat market and make your own mix from their ground up meat https://www.gatewaymeatmarket.com/dog.php

If you can't afford the raw meat you can buy Canadian limited ingredient dog kibble brands that are just as good and much cheaper, eg Acana Duck and Pear

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

You can make your own but from what you just said n being honest, might as well buy it. I buy from a farmer that makes it n sells it to distributors and it goes out like so. It cost me 1.80 for one pound. Nyala n Jake eats one pound per day each. It’s a lot healthier than any kibbles n cheaper too. In NS there’s a lot of local farmers n butchers. I sure would ask around. Here’s my ratio as you absolutely need meat, bones n organs. NOT just meat. Oh n yes totally raw is a good one. But my raw comes frozen like a big sausage...

CC2DD48D-A2E8-4409-B5C2-D46AA48242A3.jpeg

https://www.gatewaymeatmarket.com/dog.php

https://crazydog.pet/raw

I don’t know where you live in NS but ask around, check your prices, ask if they come in one pound so you don’t have to mess around with n especially check your ratio. Very important.

44ABE6FB-8BBB-410D-A151-762FF3EA59F0.jpegA02CDAB6-2C04-421B-8EEF-94B6D583B76A.jpeg

If you make it your own follow the link below.
https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You can buy premade raw possibly cheaper from CrazyDog https://crazydog.pet/raw

Or you can make your own buy raw dog food supplies from Gateway meat market and make your own mix from their ground up meat https://www.gatewaymeatmarket.com/dog.php

If you can't afford the raw meat you can buy Canadian limited ingredient dog kibble brands that are just as good and much cheaper, eg Acana Duck and Pear

I know of Gateway, I had no idea Gateway in Dartmouth sold raw dog food. I never heard of Crazy Dog before but I see they are within an hour of where I live.

I used to feed Acana but changed some time ago although I never had my dogs try the duck and pear, I may try that.

Any idea if you can change from kibble to raw right away or should it be done gradually like changing kibble ?

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You can make your own but from what you just said n being honest, might as well buy it. I buy from a farmer that makes it n sells it to distributors and it goes out like so. It cost me 1.80 for one pound. Nyala n Jake eats one pound per day each. It’s a lot healthier than any kibbles n cheaper too. In NS there’s a lot of local farmers n butchers. I sure would ask around. Here’s my ratio as you absolutely need meat, bones n organs. NOT just meat. Oh n yes totally raw is a good one. But my raw comes frozen like a big sausage...

View attachment 117651

https://www.gatewaymeatmarket.com/dog.php

https://crazydog.pet/raw

I don’t know where you live in NS but ask around, check your prices, ask if they come in one pound so you don’t have to mess around with n especially check your ratio. Very important.

View attachment 117649View attachment 117650

If you make it your own follow the link below.
https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

Same reply to you:

I know of Gateway, I had no idea Gateway in Dartmouth sold raw dog food. I never heard of Crazy Dog before but I see they are within an hour of where I live.

I used to feed Acana but changed some time ago although I never had my dogs try the duck and pear, I may try that.

Any idea if you can change from kibble to raw right away or should it be done gradually like changing kibble ?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.