Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
What concerns real fermented sauerkraut, you need to check for international food supermarkets, where Polish, German etc specialties are sold. It is staples food for Russians, Polish and German people.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What concerns real fermented sauerkraut, you need to check for international food supermarkets, where Polish, German etc specialties are sold. It is staples food for Russians, Polish and German people.
[MENTION=17858]Bella Bluenoser[/MENTION], Fermented sauerkraut or veggies are all over Canada. Especially in health food stores.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You should be able to find fermented sauerkraut also in organic refrigerated section of No Frills supermarket. I think milk kefir is good too if your dog doesn't have lactose allergy.

Zyrtec is purchased very inexpensively as OTC cetirizine at Costco. Main advantage over benadryl is that it's only once daily, and less sedating. Sedating is a good thing though if you are giving at night.

I would say best dog kibble in Canada ( if you want to stick with kibble ) and only one recommended by Dr. Karen Becker, holistic vet, is Carna4 duck. An even better one is a dehydrated raw food from PetSmart known as Only Natural EasyRaw. My dog did better on that than on Canisource GrandCru dehydrated raw. Even better is to switch to a frozen raw for allergies.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
When I was in the USA I found a omega 3 fish oil made by Spring Valley that is 2080 mg per capsule with a high EPA (1430) and a high DHA (570). I have been giving Bella one capsule with breakfast and one capsule with supper for the past week, what should the dosage be ?

I couldnā€™t fine the Nu-Stock ointment in any stores so I ordered it and should have it in a week or so.

The hair on Bellaā€™s back has started to grow back but she was losing hair on her sides which I believe has stopped or is close to stopping.

She is now eating 100% of the lamp and lentil kibble, I believe she is on the rebound.

15622712-4ECA-4595-9002-B8EEA50EEF43.jpeg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
When I was in the USA I found a omega 3 fish oil made by Spring Valley that is 2080 mg per capsule with a high EPA (1430) and a high DHA (570). I have been giving Bella one capsule with breakfast and one capsule with supper for the past week, what should the dosage be ?

I couldnā€™t fine the Nu-Stock ointment in any stores so I ordered it and should have it in a week or so.

The hair on Bellaā€™s back has started to grow back but she was losing hair on her sides which I believe has stopped or is close to stopping.

She is now eating 100% of the lamp and lentil kibble, I believe she is on the rebound.

View attachment 116549

There's a wide range of dosing possible with fish oil, from 25-65 mg/kg EPA plus DHA per day. So if your dog weighs 30 kg, then you would give from 750-1950 mg per day of the EPA/DHA. Since you bought a 2080 mg capsule, I would give at most 1 per day, or even 1 cap every 2nd day, depending on her weight. Also give Vitamin E 800IU natural source from a pierced capsule once a week.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I purchased the 2080mg capsules so I could get the highest amount of EPA/DHA. Bella weights 36kg, I will cut the dosage back to one capsule per day for awhile and see how things go, once she heals I can reduce the dosage to one capsule every two days. I will start giving her the vitamin E. For the vitamin E you say from a pierced capsule, should the fish oil capsule be pierced and only the oil be put on her food ? For the vitamin E you say ā€œnatural sourceā€, since you are in Canada is there a brand you would suggest ?
Thank you and all the others that have commented, your suggests are greatly appreciated.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I purchased the 2080mg capsules so I could get the highest amount of EPA/DHA. Bella weights 36kg, I will cut the dosage back to one capsule per day for awhile and see how things go, once she heals I can reduce the dosage to one capsule every two days. I will start giving her the vitamin E. For the vitamin E you say from a pierced capsule, should the fish oil capsule be pierced and only the oil be put on her food ? For the vitamin E you say ā€œnatural sourceā€, since you are in Canada is there a brand you would suggest ?
Thank you and all the others that have commented, your suggests are greatly appreciated.

I like Webber brand of Vitamin E, which only comes in 400IU capsules at Costco.ca https://www.costco.ca/webber-naturals%C2%AE---Vitamin-E-400-IU-300-Softgels.product.100235730.html , so you could give 400IU twice a week. I like to pierce the capsules with a large safety pin right at mealtime and squeeze into the food. The only difference would be that fish oil can make you burp up, so if you were personally taking fish oil, an enteric coated fish oil capsule would be more tolerable, since you wouldn't be burping up fish oil all day. I think that your capsule isn't enteric coated and it'd be hard to get your dog to swallow it whole anyways, so I'd pierce it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Bare in mind a lot of capsules out there are NOT digestible to dogs. Donā€™t take the chance n just squeeze it out on meals. Thatā€™s my 2 cents on capsules. :)

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I like Webber brand of Vitamin E, which only comes in 400IU capsules at Costco.ca https://www.costco.ca/webber-naturals%C2%AE---Vitamin-E-400-IU-300-Softgels.product.100235730.html , so you could give 400IU twice a week. I like to pierce the capsules with a large safety pin right at mealtime and squeeze into the food. The only difference would be that fish oil can make you burp up, so if you were personally taking fish oil, an enteric coated fish oil capsule would be more tolerable, since you wouldn't be burping up fish oil all day. I think that your capsule isn't enteric coated and it'd be hard to get your dog to swallow it whole anyways, so I'd pierce it.

Thank you, BTW I have been taking fish oil capsules for about 20 years and never burped up, maybe I am just lucky.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bare in mind a lot of capsules out there are NOT digestible to dogs. Donā€™t take the chance n just squeeze it out on meals. Thatā€™s my 2 cents on capsules. :)

I have been giving Bella the whole fish oil capsule, hopefully the outer shell dissolved and she got the benefits of the oil, to be sure I will squeeze out the oil from now on.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I wouldn't be too worried about the capsules being digestible, unless they are enteric coated products meant for human consumption, as they might pass through dogs' shorter digestive tract without being absorbed.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bellaā€™s weight is about 80lbs or 36kgs, can anyone tell me what the ideal mg capsule of fish oil should be, also what would the ideal EPA/DHA be ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bellaā€™s weight is about 80lbs or 36kgs, can anyone tell me what the ideal mg capsule of fish oil should be, also what would the ideal EPA/DHA be ?

I used to give Lambeau, at 58 lbs a 1200mg per day.
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] may have Insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think your plan is very good! For a 36 kg dog you can give her up to 2 capsules Per day of this 2080 mg epa/DHA fish oil because 1) dogs have high need in EPA and DHA 2) what producer promises on the bottle is usually higher than reality 3) upper safe limit is 55 mg per pound, which makes 4400 mg per day for a 80 pound Bella. So you can give her 1 capsule a day, or may be even 2, to saturate her with epa/DHA. Or you can give one day 1 capsule and second day 2 capsules, it will give you 1,5 capsules a day, for around 2 months or until you see improvement. When she improves you can reduce to 1 capsule in 2 days.
Dont be so worried about Vit E quality, usually it is not too bad, as sources it is made of are widely available (different plant oils), but if you are very concerned, just look at the label and look for the label saying ā€œcontains d-alpha-tocopherolā€, which is extracted from plants, opposite to dl-alpha-tocopherol, which is less natural and less potent.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.