Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 37 to 45 of 45

Thread: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

  1. #37
    Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    David Randall
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    69
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    56

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    I purchased the 2080mg capsules so I could get the highest amount of EPA/DHA. Bella weights 36kg, I will cut the dosage back to one capsule per day for awhile and see how things go, once she heals I can reduce the dosage to one capsule every two days. I will start giving her the vitamin E. For the vitamin E you say from a pierced capsule, should the fish oil capsule be pierced and only the oil be put on her food ? For the vitamin E you say “natural source”, since you are in Canada is there a brand you would suggest ?
    Thank you and all the others that have commented, your suggests are greatly appreciated.

  2. #38
    Bulldog Vet in Training
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,490
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1511

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Bluenoser View Post
    I purchased the 2080mg capsules so I could get the highest amount of EPA/DHA. Bella weights 36kg, I will cut the dosage back to one capsule per day for awhile and see how things go, once she heals I can reduce the dosage to one capsule every two days. I will start giving her the vitamin E. For the vitamin E you say from a pierced capsule, should the fish oil capsule be pierced and only the oil be put on her food ? For the vitamin E you say “natural source”, since you are in Canada is there a brand you would suggest ?
    Thank you and all the others that have commented, your suggests are greatly appreciated.
    I like Webber brand of Vitamin E, which only comes in 400IU capsules at Costco.ca https://www.costco.ca/webber-natural...100235730.html , so you could give 400IU twice a week. I like to pierce the capsules with a large safety pin right at mealtime and squeeze into the food. The only difference would be that fish oil can make you burp up, so if you were personally taking fish oil, an enteric coated fish oil capsule would be more tolerable, since you wouldn't be burping up fish oil all day. I think that your capsule isn't enteric coated and it'd be hard to get your dog to swallow it whole anyways, so I'd pierce it.

  3. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  4. #39
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,805
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    10615

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Bare in mind a lot of capsules out there are NOT digestible to dogs. Don’t take the chance n just squeeze it out on meals. That’s my 2 cents on capsules.

  5. Likes 2BullyMama, Dollys Owner liked this post
  6. #40
    Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    David Randall
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    69
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    56

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I like Webber brand of Vitamin E, which only comes in 400IU capsules at Costco.ca https://www.costco.ca/webber-natural...100235730.html , so you could give 400IU twice a week. I like to pierce the capsules with a large safety pin right at mealtime and squeeze into the food. The only difference would be that fish oil can make you burp up, so if you were personally taking fish oil, an enteric coated fish oil capsule would be more tolerable, since you wouldn't be burping up fish oil all day. I think that your capsule isn't enteric coated and it'd be hard to get your dog to swallow it whole anyways, so I'd pierce it.
    Thank you, BTW I have been taking fish oil capsules for about 20 years and never burped up, maybe I am just lucky.

  7. #41
    Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    David Randall
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    69
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    56

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Bare in mind a lot of capsules out there are NOT digestible to dogs. Donít take the chance n just squeeze it out on meals. Thatís my 2 cents on capsules.
    I have been giving Bella the whole fish oil capsule, hopefully the outer shell dissolved and she got the benefits of the oil, to be sure I will squeeze out the oil from now on.

  8. Likes helsonwheels, Dollys Owner liked this post
  9. #42
    Bulldog Vet in Training
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,490
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1511

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Bare in mind a lot of capsules out there are NOT digestible to dogs. Don’t take the chance n just squeeze it out on meals. That’s my 2 cents on capsules.
    I wouldn't be too worried about the capsules being digestible, unless they are enteric coated products meant for human consumption, as they might pass through dogs' shorter digestive tract without being absorbed.

  10. #43
    Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    David Randall
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    69
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    56

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Bella’s weight is about 80lbs or 36kgs, can anyone tell me what the ideal mg capsule of fish oil should be, also what would the ideal EPA/DHA be ?

  11. #44
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,114
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15349

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Bluenoser View Post
    Bellaís weight is about 80lbs or 36kgs, can anyone tell me what the ideal mg capsule of fish oil should be, also what would the ideal EPA/DHA be ?
    I used to give Lambeau, at 58 lbs a 1200mg per day.
    @Dollys Owner may have Insight


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. #45
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,581
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default Re: ON GOING STAPH SKIN PROBLEM

    I think your plan is very good! For a 36 kg dog you can give her up to 2 capsules Per day of this 2080 mg epa/DHA fish oil because 1) dogs have high need in EPA and DHA 2) what producer promises on the bottle is usually higher than reality 3) upper safe limit is 55 mg per pound, which makes 4400 mg per day for a 80 pound Bella. So you can give her 1 capsule a day, or may be even 2, to saturate her with epa/DHA. Or you can give one day 1 capsule and second day 2 capsules, it will give you 1,5 capsules a day, for around 2 months or until you see improvement. When she improves you can reduce to 1 capsule in 2 days.
    Dont be so worried about Vit E quality, usually it is not too bad, as sources it is made of are widely available (different plant oils), but if you are very concerned, just look at the label and look for the label saying “contains d-alpha-tocopherol”, which is extracted from plants, opposite to dl-alpha-tocopherol, which is less natural and less potent.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama, Dollys Owner liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •