nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] we are almost off the grid in the mountain we live on now. We would need solar panels to be 100% off the grid.

We have spring mountain water, and as a part of the HOA regulations no chemicals can be used outdoors as it can pollute our natural water supply. Everyone in this community takes it so seriously! It's amazing...and also why I stayed in Colorado when the Army moved my husband to Los Angeles.

I am seriously leaning towards Roundup though. I am still in contact with both of Curly's parents' breeders as well as some of his siblings...both his parents are still alive and the siblings I'm in contact with have had perfect health (aside from joint issues) just like Curly did before this diagnosis.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] we are almost off the grid in the mountain we live on now. We would need solar panels to be 100% off the grid.

We have spring mountain water, and as a part of the HOA regulations no chemicals can be used outdoors as it can pollute our natural water supply. Everyone in this community takes it so seriously! It's amazing...and also why I stayed in Colorado when the Army moved my husband to Los Angeles.

I am seriously leaning towards Roundup though. I am still in contact with both of Curly's parents' breeders as well as some of his siblings...both his parents are still alive and the siblings I'm in contact with have had perfect health (aside from joint issues) just like Curly did before this diagnosis.

You can be the first to sue Roundup for a dog.... :yes:

Colorado is beautiful n very clean. Rockies do help enormously from New Mexico to northern west of Canada. Why I go often to Banff or Jasper. Clean fresh water for sure. Going to miss them when I move back East. In Quebec, been over a decade you canā€™t buy anywhere roundup or pesticides. Should be the same across Canada.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Such great news ... you and Stu have done a great job with his care! He is in a fantastic place to live and you are all better for it! Stay the course, Curly we love the positive progress.

As for roundup... I can believe it is still even allows to be sold. Burns my buns when I see it in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I wish I was here with good news to share. Long story short, today we received confirmation that the lymphoma is slowly coming back. It is in its early stages of reappearing.

Long story long:

Last weekend Curly had bloody mucus diarrhea. We took him to his primary vet last Tuesday and had them run blood tests (it is cheaper to get done at the primary vet than the Onc). The next day our vet told us that she saw some minor abnormalities with his liver enzymes. If we wanted to be safe, we should get an ultrasound.

We were very lucky to get an ultrasound scheduled today - our Onc is booked until next month but because she likes Curly so much, she squeezed him in. In reviewing his blood work, she said that the abnormal blood work wasn't significant and his ultrasound came out fine.

However, there was a lymph nod by his front leg that felt bigger than before (she has been keeping measurements). She decided to aspirate it and found small traces of the cancer cells. They were so few she had another Onc confirm what she saw. The cancer is back.

Tanovea worked wonders for Curly and she recommended to try Tanovea on Curly again. However, there is a country wide shortage of Tanovea and they only had a small supply still at their office. I told her that I would rather another dog benefit from Tanovea since we aren't 100% sure if it will put Curly back into remission.

The next option is Lomustine protocol. It would be ~$1000 per month for about 3.5 months.

The final option is to let the Lymphoma take its course, like it inevitably will do.

As this would be Curly's 3rd line of treatment, we made the hard decision to let nature take its course. Curly was diagnosed on March 21st 2019. We were awarded with another year with him - it was far more than we could have asked for.

Currently Curly is feeling fine. His bloody stool has stopped (we still don't know what caused it). He is still playful, stealing the great dane's food and just being himself. As Curly is susceptible to Calcinosis Cutis, we are unable to give him Prednisone, so when it is time, it will be time (average life expectancy without treatment is about 1-3 months).

We are sad but we knew this time would eventually come. We wanted to thank everyone for following our journey and truly hope that it benefits other members in the future.

I'll still definitely be around as we have our new little ball of puppy bulldog that I will be sharing more pics of in the future.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Oh [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION], these are the times when our hands are tied n we have to let Mother Nature do her thing. Enjoy every minute, months even year(s) Curly has left with lots of hugs which youā€™re probably already doing.... I would also look into CBD oil for the rest of her journey. You simply never know n will help ease some pain if any. We are all here for you :assurred:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'll keep you and Curly in my thoughts. You've had quite a journey and done remarkably well all things considered. Give Curly a big old EBN hug, please.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sorry to be reading this but some things are out our control and youā€™ve done so much for Curly. You are making the right decision and will know when itā€™s time. Hugs!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
YOu have done so much for Curly, and gave him more time to be with his loving family. God Bless you for all you have done and enjoy the good time left with that wonderful boy. We all love :drawheart:Curly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so sorry to hear this. Some things are just beyond our control and you have tried your very best for Curly. Lots of hugs to you and him. :heart::heart:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Nu...sorry to hear this. I met Curly the Man and he is a sweet, loveable, and layed back bully. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Jewel too has developed another lump on her left shoulder. They can't incise it until we have her premature atrial contraction under control. That will be later this month as Jewel will see a cardiologist .

Say hello to Stu for me.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I wish I was here with good news to share. Long story short, today we received confirmation that the lymphoma is slowly coming back. It is in its early stages of reappearing.

Long story long:

Last weekend Curly had bloody mucus diarrhea. We took him to his primary vet last Tuesday and had them run blood tests (it is cheaper to get done at the primary vet than the Onc). The next day our vet told us that she saw some minor abnormalities with his liver enzymes. If we wanted to be safe, we should get an ultrasound.

We were very lucky to get an ultrasound scheduled today - our Onc is booked until next month but because she likes Curly so much, she squeezed him in. In reviewing his blood work, she said that the abnormal blood work wasn't significant and his ultrasound came out fine.

However, there was a lymph nod by his front leg that felt bigger than before (she has been keeping measurements). She decided to aspirate it and found small traces of the cancer cells. They were so few she had another Onc confirm what she saw. The cancer is back.

Tanovea worked wonders for Curly and she recommended to try Tanovea on Curly again. However, there is a country wide shortage of Tanovea and they only had a small supply still at their office. I told her that I would rather another dog benefit from Tanovea since we aren't 100% sure if it will put Curly back into remission.

The next option is Lomustine protocol. It would be ~$1000 per month for about 3.5 months.

The final option is to let the Lymphoma take its course, like it inevitably will do.

As this would be Curly's 3rd line of treatment, we made the hard decision to let nature take its course. Curly was diagnosed on March 21st 2019. We were awarded with another year with him - it was far more than we could have asked for.

Currently Curly is feeling fine. His bloody stool has stopped (we still don't know what caused it). He is still playful, stealing the great dane's food and just being himself. As Curly is susceptible to Calcinosis Cutis, we are unable to give him Prednisone, so when it is time, it will be time (average life expectancy without treatment is about 1-3 months).

We are sad but we knew this time would eventually come. We wanted to thank everyone for following our journey and truly hope that it benefits other members in the future.

I'll still definitely be around as we have our new little ball of puppy bulldog that I will be sharing more pics of in the future.

My heart is crushed... tears flowing.
Sending hugs and prayers to you all.

Curly has the bestest parents and a wonderful life

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
I agree with the others, you guys have been amazing parents and done so much.

Thank you for sharing your journey, I am sure it will benefit someone if it hasnā€™t already.

Praying for Curly to be pain free until the end and for you guys to have peace.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Hi everyone. It's been a couple months since Curly fell out of remission and his health is quickly declining. He is barely eating and is having breathing issues. He still wants to play, a lot, but due to the breathing issues I've limited playing. However, I found if I feed him after he plays, he will eat. He is still drink water.

He has developed tumors in his eyes, which cause conjunctivitis - we got a handle over the conjunctivitis but unfortunately the tumors will eventually make him blind.

He gets nose bleeds often and his nose has started to deteriorate. As his nose is extremely dry, I've been using nose butter but it doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure much will but I wanted to reach out to see if anyone uses something stronger than nose butter on their dogs that might help? I'm up for suggestions to help slow down this drying up process

For those who are wondering, we decided that at the point in which he no longer wants to play is when we will help him cross the rainbow bridge.
657b98865681df8db13265442076c5e8.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.