Help Needed! Tail Surgery- Is it worth it?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Tail is an extension of the spine. We have done numerous tail removals where the patient is left with little more than a tiny nub. The former pocket area becomes fully exposed. This is a nasty looking surgery that looks much worse than it really is. Recovery is rapid but may look bad for weeks, months.
We have yet to have an infection come back after tail removal...all removals have been 100% successful.
Best of luck with recovery!

Thank you! Heā€™s home now. Dripping some blood but he seems in good spirits. It makes me nervous to clean the area because I donā€™t want to aggravate it. But I canā€™t wait for him to feel better and not itch his poor bum anymore.

Edit: The surgeon said his pocket was so deep, thereā€™s no way it would have healed without surgery. Glad I made the right decision.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
You made the right choice. Don't be surprised if he's more active and generally a happier dog within hours of waking up. Still he needs to be kept quiet for a few days. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! Heā€™s home now. Dripping some blood but he seems in good spirits. It makes me nervous to clean the area because I donā€™t want to aggravate it. But I canā€™t wait for him to feel better and not itch his poor bum anymore.

Edit: The surgeon said his pocket was so deep, thereā€™s no way it would have healed without surgery. Glad I made the right decision.

How is he this morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
How is he this morning?

Still dripping a bit. Doctor said itā€™s normal for the first few days. Iā€™m keeping an eye on it and dabbing off the blood. He constantly wants to sun bathe, which he never does, but maybe itā€™ll help his alopecia! Haha thanks for asking!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Still dripping a bit. Doctor said itā€™s normal for the first few days. Iā€™m keeping an eye on it and dabbing off the blood. He constantly wants to sun bathe, which he never does, but maybe itā€™ll help his alopecia! Haha thanks for asking!

Yes... the vitamin D from sun will help, just not too long out there

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
***2nd Update***

I had to bring him back because his incision was leaking way too much. I was cleaning it twice an hour and they said to clean it twice a day. The doctor believes thereā€™s an infection so we did another culture. His first culture post surgery came back clean, so Iā€™m hoping this infection is related to the incision and not the dang tail pocket :( :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
***2nd Update***

I had to bring him back because his incision was leaking way too much. I was cleaning it twice an hour and they said to clean it twice a day. The doctor believes thereā€™s an infection so we did another culture. His first culture post surgery came back clean, so Iā€™m hoping this infection is related to the incision and not the dang tail pocket :( :(

Oh no! [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1695][emoji1695][emoji1695]

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online