OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
UPDATE October 1, 2019

Jewel had her Opthamology appt. yesterday and her left eye ulcer has cleared up. Amen.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
UPDATE October 1, 2019

Jewel had her Opthamology appt. yesterday and her left eye ulcer has cleared up. Amen.

Btw. Jewel cannot have any immunizations until further notice per the Dermatologist.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE October 1, 2019

Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awesome!!

Jewel still has some calcinosis cutis lesions but they are not open. As mentioned, her quality of life has significantly improved.

Bentley now has been gnawing at his paws despite the change in food and on Apoquel. He is getting a derm work up.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am always so very, very happy to see your positive updates about Jewel!!!! Thank God!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jewel still has some calcinosis cutis lesions but they are not open. As mentioned, her quality of life has significantly improved.

Bentley now has been gnawing at his paws despite the change in food and on Apoquel. He is getting a derm work up.

Always something

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great to hear Jewel is feeling better and we hope Bentley will too.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] I haven't logged in here since my post about Curly finishing his treatment so I'm just reading about Jewel's skin condition.

Curly had his last dosage of Steroids on Sept 2. We had noticed a small scaley spot on his back but chalked it up to his seasonal allergies. Now his whole back has lost fur and now i'm wondering now if it is calcinosis cutis. His skin isn't red/inflamed but he has a lot of scaley dry skin and the fur just comes out in chunks with a dry scaley patch of skin attached at the root.

Although he has been off Prednisone for over a month now, I'm wondering if calcinosis cutis would still spread?

We took him to our normal vet earlier this week and she prescribed him some antibiotics (he also has had really bad ear infections, which are from his allergies). She said that it looked a lot like ringworm but since the other dogs and our kittens don't have it, she didn't think it was ringworm. So as of right now, Staph infection?? If in a week if he is still losing fur, I need to bring him back.

His blood work came back very good, so that is some good news since he has been off chemo for a month now.

Would you say that this pic looks similar to Jewel's condition? Don't mind that his fur looks a bit greasy, I put some holistic cream on him to help with the itching (Organic Aloe Vera, Manuka Honey, Coconut, Olive and Hemp Seed Oils, Shea Butter, Blue Green Algae for Minerals, with Vitamins A, B, C, E and Amino Acids.)

My only other thought is (if it isn't a Staph infection) that it might be demodectic mange since his immune system had been compromised for a while, but again his skin color, for the most part looks normal except for the dry scaley skin.

affd1428224e101239314c0bb56f7e7d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Here is a better pic - I brushed out the residue from the cream (yes he secretly has dalmatian printed skin)
pic
23291dd5234c8df26e7f87c9c8d9ace4.jpg

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is a better pic - I brushed out the residue from the cream (yes he secretly has dalmatian printed skin)
pic
23291dd5234c8df26e7f87c9c8d9ace4.jpg

Hi Nu. Jewel's lesions were raised and red. She scratched and the lesions became excoriated. Curley's rash appears similar but the way to tell is by biopsy of the lesions. I would ask the vet to rule out calcinosis cutis.

Please give our regards to Curly the Man and oh yes...Stu.

Please keep me posted.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] Thanks Roger! I will keep you posted. I am scheduled to follow up with the vet on Monday if there isn't an improvement.

I will make sure to give your regards to Stu. We are still counting down til his retirement and return back to CO (2 more years!).

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] Curly's skin seemed to be approving but then Saturday night he got into the cat kibble (ate about a cup) and Sunday morning he was itchy again. Saturday after I caught him, I moved the cat food out of reach and today his skin isn't hot pink any more.

I suspect that he is allergic to something in the cat food or cat saliva. Though I caught him yesterday, I think he may have helped himself to the food multiple times (I thought it might have been my Boston terrier because she is sneaky like that)...

Stu had also reminded me Curly's mother had alopecia throughout her pregnancy and said that curly's hair loss could be a genetic reaction to stress too.

Good news is that we are getting snow on the mountain on Thursday and, as soon as that first snow hits, Curly's environment allergies diminish...and now that the cat food is out of reach, I think he is on the mend. Fingers crossed

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to hear. Curly is the man. Glad you caught the culprit...cat food.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE: March 12, 2020

Jewel was seen by the cardiologist today. An echocardiogram was performed and Jewel's heart is functioning properly. There were no nodules and her EKG did not show as many premature atrial contractions as before in January. The cardiologist was not alarmed but suggested a 24 hour Halter monitor which would rule out any other abnormality which I said do it. I was impressed with the doctor as he explained the whole procedure that we were present for and described each of the screen shots of Jewel's heart that he was looking at. A Cornell University grad of vet medicine. Hmmm wish there were more. Jewel goes back tomorrow to get here halter removed.

Jewel is still doing well. She loves chasing the ferile cats and squirrels out of the yard. Go Jewelie Girl. More to follow next week. Still outstanding is the lump removed from her shoulder, teeth cleaned, and allergy testing.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE: March 12, 2020

Jewel was seen by the cardiologist today. An echocardiogram was performed and Jewel's heart is functioning properly. There were no nodules and her EKG did not show as many premature atrial contractions as before in January. The cardiologist was not alarmed but suggested a 24 hour Halter monitor which would rule out any other abnormality which I said do it. I was impressed with the doctor as he explained the whole procedure that we were present for and described each of the screen shots of Jewel's heart that he was looking at. A Cornell University grad of vet medicine. Hmmm wish there were more. Jewel goes back tomorrow to get here halter removed.

Jewel is still doing well. She loves chasing the ferile cats and squirrels out of the yard. Go Jewelie Girl. More to follow next week. Still outstanding is the lump removed from her shoulder, teeth cleaned, and allergy testing.

Love it! Go Jewel... strong girl and great Daddy!!

Continued prayers for healing

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.