The Kool Collars....great for bulldogs in the warm temperature.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
When Vegas was a baby...I was sitting in the vet's office thumbing thru a magazine. I came across an article about dogs and heat.

It was a beautiful, sunny day. He was visiting friends in eastern Oregon and everything was great... or should have been. They were out enjoying the day with their dogs and didnā€™t have a care in the world. But, things changed in an instant. Before they knew it two of the dogs were suffering from heatstroke. Believe it or not, heatstroke and heat exhaustion can happen under almost any condition if the dogs arenā€™t acclimated to the climate. So, they quickly administered canine first aid with the help of a trained EMT who happened to be with them. Every effort was made to save the dogs. Sadly, both succumbed to heatstroke and died. It was a horribly heart-wrenching experience... one he didnā€™t want any dog lover to ever have to experience. Then, it occurred to him that the problem is not about being reactive but proactive, because once a dogā€™s body temperature reaches a certain level, thereā€™s little that can be done (even by trained professionals). He truly believed there had to be a way to keep dogs from ever getting that overheated. So, from that tragedy came the inspiration for the KoolCollar.

Hereā€™s the deal... dogs donā€™t sweat! Panting is their best defense against heat and too often, thatā€™s just not enough. So... owner/creator Chad Watsonā€™s idea with his KoolCollar was to create a system that would actually simulate sweat for dogs. And, thatā€™s just what it does. The collar holds ice that slowly melts, allowing cool water to drip down a dogā€™s chest across those large muscles and the heart. As the water evaporates, it cools the dog... keeping his core body temperature under control. And, the best news is... it works! Thereā€™s even a dry freezer-tube option to keep dogs cool without using ice.

KoolCollars have been used and tested in countless high performance situations, as well as to simply increase a petā€™s comfort and well-being. The results are amazing! Time after time word comes back that dogs stay cooler, perform longer and recover faster... and that makes everyone happy. In fact, thereā€™s a bit of a ā€™cult followingā€™ around the world as one dog lover tells another about the product... because there are NO other ā€™fill with iceā€™ dog collars available. Latest records show that dogs from America, Spain, Africa, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam and Canada are sporting the KoolCollar.

And, while every business owner dreams of their product taking off and being ā€™the next big thing,ā€™ what really matters to Chad Watson is that his collars are meeting a need and literally saving dogs lives. He and everyone who works with him are so committed to helping people protect their pets that he often donates collars to charitable organizations and disabled people who rely on service dogs in their everyday life. Their company vision is truly for the love of dogs. And, if Chad and his crew could share one message with dog owners and handlers everywhere it would be the company tag line... give your dog what he needs, but canā€™t ask for.

This stuck in my head and I started my search for the kool collars. No store had heard of them....I showed the article to my Mud Bay store..and they had no clue what it was. Fast forward 2 years later. I walk into the same Mud Bay and there they were. Right up front on display. I picked one up for Vegas and Orion and I picked up an extra ice pack for each. I paid about 70.00 total. A small and Medium collar and 2 extra ice packs.

Carolina Pet Pantry is selling them now! Not only does she offer free shipping, but you can get them at a much better price than I did at the store I bought them from.

Carolina Pet Pantry Product List

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
We reached the mid 80's today and taking one look at Rosie panting tells me that I need one of these! Off to Carolina Pet Pantry's websit I go!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've seen these ... do they actually work??? I also saw this recently ... and wondered what this would be like. Has anybody seen the cool mats??

Cool Mat For Pets

only
$9.95
each
Place this Cool Mat For Pets inside your pet's kennel, dog house or on the patio to help him stay cool when lying down.
  • When hydrated, the mat provides a cool, cushioned spot on the floor, patio or other shady space.
  • Water-activated hydrogel crystals keep mat cool for up to 3 days with just one 25-minute soaking.
  • Reusable thousands of times!
  • The mat stays cool and dry to the touch.
  • Made of polyester and cotton; measures 20" x 26".
  • Imported.
CNM_MN.jpg

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
I've never seen those mats before, wonder if they work? I just went on Carolina Pet Pantry and ordered Rosie a red KoolCollar and some extra ice packs. I think that is a wonderful invention! Beats chasing her around with my squirt bottle that has the fan attached to the top of it. It's kinda commical, I run after her squirting water and fanning her off and the whole time she is barking and growling at the squirt bottle (because OF COURSE she's scared of it) so by the time we're done she and I are so pooped and hot that it completely defeats the purpose of the entire thing! Can't wait to try it, I'll let you guys know how she likes it!!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
If these work i'm getting one right away. Please make sure to provide feed back after you gus have used them.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I just bought something similar here at another store. But I've been so impressed with Carolina Pet Pantry that I might as well return it and buy one from them! Thanks for letting us know [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], I was going to email someone there to see if they sell something similar.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
They worked for Vegas and Orion. Orion loves to lay on the hot concrete....and Vegas loves to sit in the sun. Keep in mind..I live in Seattle, so we usually get into the 70 to 80 mark. Very rarely do we get above 90. It's important to get a refill pack if you are concerned about the melting ice. The refill packs last about 1/2 to 1 hour. They freeze just as fast. So, while you are using one, the other is freezing. Outside..using ice is the best. The drippings fall down their chest and work like sweat to cool them off. We love them here!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Ok I went to CPP and the link took me to Calming Collars. I typed Cool Collar into the search and it said none. Is she sold out right now?

L

Lucy-licious

They're not picking up on the search [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]. I found them on page 4 of the collars section. And the cool packs are in collar accessories.
I didn't order in the end though due to shipping fees I can't click free shipping for something coming this far!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
They spell Kool Collars with a K. That is why the search isn't picking it up for you. :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], did you get the size M? or L, I know they both say up to 75 lbs. but with our bullies their necks are so big. The large shows a mastiff and the M shows a boxer, I think at 63 lbs. and a big neck the L???

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
We had a hard time finding a cooling collar to fit Sarge's neck...But did come by some while away on vacation once. Sadly I took them from the fridge and placed them in a ziplock baggie during the winter...and they MOLDED! Not a wise idea...

I was just wondering about a cooling mat...if they made them for our trip to vacation to fit in the back of the cargo area...And low and behold Karen posted about one as well. I'll be looking into those for our trip.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]
I got Vegas the medium and Orion the small. They are adjustable. Vegas's neck measures 18 inches and Orion's measures 16. He has a skinny neck!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]
I got Vegas the medium and Orion the small. They are adjustable. Vegas's neck measures 18 inches and Orion's measures 16. He has a skinny neck!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online